Loki, Did you notice the growth of cells at the base of these cuttings? These are the cells you are working with. Right? Those are the (stem cells) that are as yet indeterminate.Correct?
Exactly, and I start out with just a tiny amount of cells, not a whole cutting.
I like to use stems and take cells from node sites. Stems work well, because they can be cleaned better and you can get more cells than from leaf or root cuttings.
I'll cut the stems into 1" lengths with a node site in the middle. Put those in a bleach water test tube, put tubes in the box. By the time the box is ready to go, they've soaked for 30 minutes or so.
I dump the test tube into a empty petri dish and one at a time I take a stem cutting and extract cells. I cut the stem length wise down the middle and at the node site, I'll scrape out a sliver of cells, then transfer them to a petri dish. I'll take 4 or 5 slivers per stem per dish.
Once I'm done, I'll seal the petri dishes with this gauss tape and store any waste in a ziplock bag. Then I clean the box with another spray/wipe. I leave the box sealed, with the petri dishes sealed inside. Unless a glove rips, if I have cultures, they stay in the box.
When I remove sprouts from the box, the fan in the side can be removed to create a small second chamber to pass things through with as little contamination as possible. The covers actually unscrew on both the inside and outside. So, I remove the fan from the outside, spray in some lysol, replace the cover, glove up, remove the inner cover, insert up to 4 test tubes, replace the cover, unglove, remove the test tubes and replace the fan...