• Photo
      25 Jul
    BongAkaDrew

About to attempt my first 4g run of bho :) wish me luck

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      25 Jul
    the_dank_one

nothing pisses me off more to come by and see all my pics have been removed and the threads look like shit now..pointless

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      10 Jul
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Happy Oil Day! Happy birthday to Tesla, Busch and Orff and me!

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Dense Buds vs Airy Buds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

What "controllable" factors most affect a flowering plants ability to grow tight, dense buds?

I am growing Oasis (NL2) and have been a bit dissappointed in the density of my finished product. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Brewtoo

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:13 AM

your finished product seems okay, judging by the writing. just kidding...i think you are really asking how to get the plant to express herself best. she has only 5 needs: light, heat, air, moisture, and food. figure out the right mix, add her genes, and the bud could be tight. in other words, it's almost cosmic. have fun reading around here; the search works well. a lot of peeps would answer your question differently, and say more light.

#3 Gopal108

Gopal108

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:49 AM

Probably the most important factors would be light intesity and heat. Cool temps with lots of light usually give the tightest bud. I personally think tight buds are over-rated. Some the best buds I have ever smoked have been pretty airy. If the overall yield of the plant is good and the bud is potent then its not really a problem. Yet if you want dense buds, maintain temps in the low 70's have 65+ watts of HID light per square foot of growing space, and make sure the plants have enough CO2 and you should get tighter buds.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Peeps.

I think my problem may be temp. I have a 4x8 growing table with 3000 watts of light bringing that to over 90 watts per foot. My temp averages about 95f during the day cycle and 78-82 during dark.

All things being equal, the buds that I have produced knock me on my ass. I just get a bit irritated when people look at it and say, "Hmmmm, looks a little airy." Guess I just want to perfect the asthetics for accomplishment sake.

Brewtoo

#5 Gopal108

Gopal108

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:35 AM

The high temps would definately be the problem. If you can get the temp down to 75 or less during the light cycle you should definately see an increase in density.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:52 PM

With the aforementioned in mind; Are you noticing consistent density through the whole plant? Or do you have more bud density towards the top? If this is the case you probably need to adjust plants growth pattern by topping/training/scrogging etc. Its a good way to to maximize your yield and density. Theres a lot of info about all of these things if you search.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:02 AM

I am growing single cola plants in a sea of green setup. I am shooting for one solid bud at harvest. The plants are 18-24 inches tall at harvest. The bud seems to be equally airy from top to bottom.

Brewtoo

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 05:06 PM

Bloom stimulant's seem to help alot too....

Peace......

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

Cooler temps aare what I find to be the biggest factor for dense buds, 78f is the best also genetics and your nutes..

But your temps are way high...

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:50 AM

I once used about 20% sand in my soil mix and all of those plants grew ultra tight, rock solid buds. I've never tried this since (it made the pots too heavy to move around and tight buds make me paraniod about mould), but I remember being stunned by the results. I've not grown buds that tight before or since. I think the yield was a bit lower than usual as well.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:06 AM

Lower temps, LOTS of air circulation, and MORE WATTS! Heheh.. The better the light value the tighter the bud.

If you can, have a ceiling fan in your grow room, even if you are growing in a closet, having a ceiling fan in the room that houses the closet will help circulate out that warm air.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:09 AM

Oh, btw, my first grow was under a way too small 100 watt mh. The buds were super airy, but it was some of the best stuff i ever smoked.

Also, alot of ppl tend to compare density to the stuff that comes in plastic bags from your dealer. Remember, its prolly so dense cause its been in some dealers front pocket all day, hasnt been cured right, etc.

Even my densest buds are what I would term "fluffy." not airy, but fluffy because of the care and gentleness I take to cure them. I handle em with kid gloves. Home grown, if done properly, will always have the appearance of fluffiness compared to dealer-weed.

#13 Gopal108

Gopal108

Pooh-Bah

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:10 AM

Good points Growbaby. I agree fully, none of my homegrown has ever had the packed density of commercial.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:22 PM

Keep in mind that a lot of commercial stuff (at least here on the west coast) is often vacuum-packed for odorless transport at some point. Vacuum-packing compresses the buds quite a bit, which makes them look much tighter than they did when harvested. The funny thing is that around here, weed which is fluffy and obviously not vacuum-packed usually commands a slightly higher price.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2004 - 07:18 PM

Genetics also play a good part in it....

Peace........