40 replies to this topic

#21 rasta

rasta

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

yes like oc said the only time ur gonan need to flush is if u used any ferts in there in ur case u probably should since ur in hydro, and u add nutes to ur res. idk how u would do that without hurting ur other plants other than to move them into another tub with a diff res. u dont wanna hurt ur little ones.

~~~Rasta~~~

#22 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts
  • Locationon a pillow of winds

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: GrandPoobah
Here is your final answer......yes you need to flush......7 days minimum for hydro...14 days for soil.

Go ahead and argue....but try it first

It is one of the more enjoyable aspects of cultivation to me--that such a breadth of results comes from such a variety of experiences.

Truly, so long as one is not causing harm to the plants, one is likely garnering a unique result.

That said--there is no excuse for bad advice passed in the name of hubris. That is the best aspect of this Organic forum--some of my best compatriots have provided the backbone of this forum.

Glauconite, castings and guano uber alles!!

#23 Hazedaze

Hazedaze

Stoner

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTrapped in the Closet

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: GrandPoobah
Here is your final answer......yes you need to flush......7 days minimum for hydro...14 days for soil.

Go ahead and argue....but try it first

There's not much else to say, in my opinion. Having spent entirely more time than could be considered healthy reading on this forum... if I'm going to take someone's advice, it's going to be this advice right here.

That said, I've a quick question to add on, please excuse my minor hijack, this doesn't warrant the creation of a new thread. When flushing, I assume you would be running twice the volume of the pots through the plants every three - four days over the entire applicable period (14 days for organic soil, seven for hydro... etc), correct? I've never actually completed a full grow cycle before, but it seems to me you would need to give the roots some time in between heavy waterings to dry and recover?

If someone could sort me out on this one, that would be fantastic. All apologies, but I'm needing someone to state the obvious for me on this one. Many thanks.

Listen kid, we're all in it together.

#24 GrandPoobah

GrandPoobah

Bongmeister

• Members
  • 1,889 posts
  • Locationnext to a bong

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

this type of flush does not require additional water (that is a short term flush to clear the medium). Just water normally, just no nutes. The plant will start to burn its stored nutrients, leading to a smoother, tastier smoke

There is no off position on the genius switch

leafProud member of the organic mafialeaf

#25 Abe2.0

Abe2.0

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Locationover here

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

I'm pleased to find this question and the subsequent discussion.

I'm coming to a point where I'll need to consider flushing my first-ever girl, but I've barely fertilized at all. I mixed a fairly rich soil mix, and when I potted on just before flowering I further mixed in a bit of bat guano at about 1 t per gallon.
I've been watering with rainwater, the occasional shot of kelp, and 1/4 strength liquid organic nutes (which seem crazy-low in pH!)

It seems that the point of flushing is to encourage changes in the internal plant chemistry during the last weeks or days of bloom. Aren't these the same changes which occur during curing & drying? Won't the nitrogen etc. volatilize post-harvest as well as pre-?

#26 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

What is getting lost in this discussion, in my opinion, is that some organic cultivation does not need flushing.

Let me explain.

I create a sufficient soil matrix, paying attention to available nutrients, that I only EVER water with just water. I am essentially flushing every time I water.

So when I say that I never flush because I never need to flush, it's because I never need to flush.

Approaching cultivation as one would any science and under the principles of quantum theory, there is no universal constant in terms of fertilizers, genetics, environmental factors or patterns.

#27 shadowhawk

shadowhawk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

So when I say that I never flush because I never need to flush, it's because I never need to flush

Perfect......Thanks......

I Never Flush

Member of the Organic Mafia
California Chapter joint

#28 George_W_Heyduke

George_W_Heyduke

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: shadowhawk
So when I say that I never flush because I never need to flush, it's because I never need to flush

Perfect......Thanks......

anyone that bumps Wodan's posts can't be all bad

#29 Abe2.0

Abe2.0

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Locationover here

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: George_W_Heyduke

I create a sufficient soil matrix, paying attention to available nutrients, that I only EVER water with just water. I am essentially flushing every time I water.

Rock solid-your technique is enviable. I never fertilize my outdoor vegetable garden, and wouldn't think of flushing my capsicums to improve flavor. Regular rainwater and the quality of initial soil conditions do all the work.

This indoor soil crop had some troubling signs about the third week of veg growth which, to my inexpert eye, seemed to be either potassium or sulfur deficiency. I thought I'd misjudged my soil blend, or perhaps mixed poorly. A weak fertilizer solution brought no relief, so I tried watering with a lower pH water-fortunately the rainwater around here is about 5.6.

The growth seemed to rebound, and I've learned to try water first to cure any perceived ills.

#30 Synapses

Synapses

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationCanada, BC

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Bringing an old thread back form the dead instead of making another. I am going all organic accept for Dutch Master LL and P, I'm sure that spray is putting some bad in there so what kinda flush would you guys be doing? I was just thinking 2 weeks, well from not till the end (2-3 weeks)

#31 DANKNUG

DANKNUG

Old hand

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  • Locationthe wicked garden

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:50 AM

yeah 2 weeks is the international average...

#32 junior_grower

junior_grower

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

3 weeks sometimes 4 it all depends. I flush the first week with molasses than just plain water for 2-3 weeks.

#33 Synapses

Synapses

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationCanada, BC

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

3 weeks sometimes 4 it all depends. I flush the first week with molasses than just plain water for 2-3 weeks.

Why such a long flush if your going organic?

#34 Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationOn the planets skin.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:22 AM

Laste year i flushed for 3 weeks and still no or very little yellow leaves on my organic grow. It takes longer to use up organic nutrients than chemical ones i think. A nutrient may take 3 weeks to go from the roots to the buds..

Earthworm excreta, nature’s most remarkable form of bio-fertilizer and bio-pest control agent.

#35 junior_grower

junior_grower

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

because I wait for the yellow leaves and it just seems to take a long time too see any yellowing.

#36 Synapses

Synapses

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationCanada, BC

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

because I wait for the yellow leaves and it just seems to take a long time too see any yellowing.

Good to know. I'm just going to start now with 3 weeks to go and keep giving her TopMax (Bio-bizz molasses) and water, thanks guys.

#37 Genus

Genus

Stoner

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

12-14 days so far.. but now im thinking more like 3-4 weeks.. Have a bunch of diff strains goin so i will start flushing at week 6 and will harvest between week 8 and 11..

Only dead fish have their mouth open...

#38 McLovin'

McLovin'

Pot Head

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Junior, what's the earliest you start flushing depending on trichs alone? The first onset of cloudy ones?

#39 junior_grower

junior_grower

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

yup for the most part I watch the trichomes, but also the plant. If the trichs look cloudy but the plant is still filling out I will not flush until the filling out slows. Some strains I have flushed less and some more. All I look for is a minimum of two weeks and the color change in the fan leaves. Ill post so pics of a girl about to start her flush and a couple 2 weeks in with yellowing leaves.

#40 Droconnoisseur

Droconnoisseur

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

I agree when u leech ur plants they taste sweeter and smoke easier I personaly use 1/4strength nutes with clearex for leeching and continue to use B'cuzz stimulator.........My buds burn with no crackling when lit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users