Outdoor pest control

Since my plants are still pretty small and they will be growing outdoors, how do i go about controlling pests? They already have some pest damage, from what, i dont know. since they will be in a field they are going to be dealing with possible pests all season,. basically, how do i keep the critters in check while not damaging the plant or adding anything to them that would compromise them being smoked at a later date, like harful pesticides. is there anything natural or organic that might help?

thanks

Well, since you don't seem to know what is the critter. I recommend putting a collar around the base of the plants. You can do this with cut out 2 litre plastic bottle that has been rinsed carefully. Shape the plastic and tape it shut once in place around the plant. The idea is the critter may be crawling up the pot and when it encounters the plastic it will be confused. I have spread jam or honey on the outside of the cone, the critters get stuck in that. I can think of about 6 or more critters who crawl from the ground at night and do damage.

And don't forget good old handpicking. You can always find a migrant slug-picker downtown somewhere and give him a bong and a bottle of ripple to pick off leafhoppers and wooley aphids and such. Don't get the beneficials by mistake[like ambush bugs].

Yeah, i dont trust migrants though. What if this migrant slug-picker as you say decides to steal the bong? Or worse yet the plant and or plants as well? That would really blow, i would go with the neem oil, or just sit with you plants and the bong and pick the bugs off yourself.

I started as a migrant slug-picker, then I worked my way up to head spoon-licker. grin.gif

For worms, which are a serious problem, starting NOW I use BT spray. Its a spore or something that kills leaf eating, and pot boreing worms.

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/btb.html

For hoppers and other bugs I use Rotenone/Pyrethrin spray.

http://www.snow-pond.com/BotPest/botanic.html#Pyrethrin

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/rps.html

I'm sure there are other sellers of both items.

sunwatt

hiya all..great suggestions...chicken wire can keep out rabbit etc when the plants are young and tender(what they like)

a copper wire coiled around the base will keep off the slugs and snails while the coil will expand as the stalk grows(still check though!!)

try not to get the nitrogen level too high in the soil which will encourage aphids and/or ants...

sprays made from certain plants can discorage certain pests also, so it would help if you could identify the culprit......

good luck ..peace

Use neem oil with a couple drops of liquid soap alternatwith fincely chopped onion/garlic/cayenne boiled and strained (after cooling) add a tablespoon of liq soap and spray tops and bottoms, bugs hate the taste. Put human hair with Irish spring soap around the area and urea(drink a couple dozen brewskies) no deer or rabbits.Suspend nylon fishing line in between bushes to startle animals.

hey all..forgot a good one blush.gif...cocoa bean shells ,aside from being a mulch, a well known moisture retaining option, is also a great pest deterent, the cocoa bean shells when laid around the plants base will keep out slug/snails as well as cats etc if you lay the mulch wide enough around the base... the sharp and pointy edges don't feel to great on the feet i guess... grin.gif.... it is also black/brown in color which blends in niclely and can cover any perlite on the surface that might compromise security by sight...peace

I was having a problem with grasshoppers munching on my plants. This is a cage made from 2" stucco wire covered by a nylon netting my wife had on stock. The netting has a larger mesh than screen and is lighter, so it lets more light in and is less affected by wind. At the same time the holes are too small for the tiniest grasshoppers.

My wife says the mesh is cheap and readily available at any fabric store. I think it might be stuff they use to make veils with.

post-1-138579383223_thumb.jpg

Claymores facing out from the grow set at different heights, works everytime just leave a safety zone for the plants, don't want to shred them when the claymores go off tongue.gif

hiya all..great suggestions...chicken wire can keep out rabbit etc when the plants are young and tender(what they like)

a copper wire coiled around the base will keep off the slugs and snails while the coil will expand as the stalk grows(still check though!!)

try not to get the nitrogen level too high in the soil which will encourage aphids and/or ants...

sprays made from certain plants can discorage certain pests also, so it would help if you could identify the culprit......

good luck ..peace

nice to have these outdoor pest control solution but what about indoor pest problems such as mites, bugs, rats and many more. Do you have some effective methods to control them?

wow digging up some old threads 03..haha..I agree with og ..shower and change your cloths before entering your grow room ..keep all clones that are bought or brought into the grow in a quarenteen till you are sure theres no bugs ..in most cases of infestation its cause by you bringing them in on your cloths or new plants from another source ..I never take in clones from friends anymore ..everytime I have ,I end up with mites ..

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
hiya all..great suggestions...chicken wire can pest control brisbane keep out rabbit etc when the plants are young and tender(what they like)

try not to get the nitrogen pest control gold coast level too high in the soil which will encourage aphids and/or ants...

good luck ..peace

nice to have these outdoor pest control solution but what about indoor pest problems such as mites, bugs, rats and many more. Do you have some effective methods to control them?

I was hoping for some better suggestions

rat traps or a big ass cat ...bugs are killed with everything from yellow sticky paper , safe soap , neem oil, I no theres others that have treatments of sprays they use ..but the idea is to never get them in the first place ..

the copper tape or coil doesn't work for slugs atleast not well enough ..beer in a bowl or bury a can up to the rim ..works for slugs and snails ..I buy store bought pellets for my outdoor gardens[flowers] that works ..kinda costly but you don't need a lot ..

ants farm aphids on plants ..so if you have ants on your plants then you prolly have aphids as well ..the eat the juice from the babys ..so they tend to them like a nanny ..

you can google all kinds of organic pest control sprays as well as plants that help keep the bugs away ..like marigolds, chrysanthemums...I no theres others but I cant remember them all ..

hope this helps ..