Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      21 Oct
    Dove

just had a bowl of black tuna. After a long strech of using a vape, the feeling of resiny lips is a deja vu.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Photo

Can u grow with a black light?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MetalguitarJames

MetalguitarJames

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:22 PM

I was just wonderin.....Can u grow with a black light? Also can u grow with a halogen bulb?

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing is changed until it is faced"

#2 Buddman

Buddman

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationJust up the street from hell

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:26 PM

no/yes,but not much

Buddman

#3 MetalguitarJames

MetalguitarJames

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:30 PM

well what about 2 35W shoplite flourescent lites? Like the tube lights.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing is changed until it is faced"

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:52 PM

You're not in the ballpark yet, boy. But at least you're in the parking lot with the shoplights.
Blacklights, no. Halogens, no.
You would need two shoplights minimum, 160 watts, four 40 watt bulbs, not those 35 watt energy savers, a fifty fifty mix of warm white and cool white. You can't really grow bushes under fluorescents. Do a search on "1'x4' ScrOG" for a set up.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:34 AM

Shoplights will spread the light over a "longer" area, but IMHO, they don;t put off enough light. If you're on a budget, go with CF's. I am currently using 2 per plant on my big ones, 1 on my seedlings, and 1 circular on my hydro experiment.

I have some very bushy ladies.

When you start to flower, shoplights and CF's are going to give you disappointing results.

Attached Files

#6 MetalguitarJames

MetalguitarJames

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:55 AM

Well it seems as though I'm learning so could anyone give me good prices for lights? Links? Cause my shop light only has spots for 2 bulbs. o ya and I'm looking for something that won't make my electric bill skyrocket. lol

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2003 - 11:31 AM

The standard for personal use is a 400 watt HPS. Cheapest is E-Bay, $125ish. On-line, the cheapest is about $200 with a decent reflector. You get what you pay for. High end, if you want to go hobbyist, $400 for a switchable MH HPS ballast and air cooled reflector.
A 400, fully "tweaked" grow can pull in a pound every harvest. You can cover a 3x3 area in a closet or a 2x2 in a cabinet. Hardest psrt will be planning ventilation. Before you buy the light and start, look into in-line fans, 150 cfm.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:22 PM

Now, I don't own this place and have no vested interest in them getting business. But, Alternative Garden Supply has great prices on EVERYTHING for the grower's needs from Lights, Nutrients, and Hydro. They don't carry books on marijuana specifically, probably because it's a US company. They do, however have books on indoor gardening, Hydro, growing with rockwool, HID lighting and Co2.

They do both Mail Order, Internet, Western Union, and have stores in Chicago, Detriot, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis.

They are very discrete and are able were able to answer all my lighting questions without me crossing the line by telling them what I was growing. They know. They carry BC products too....

Visit thier web site or call 1-800-444-2837.

I know this seems like a shameless plug, but the guy I talked to knew more about what I was doing then I did. They are very discrete and even the catalog has no names or pictures on the cover.

Hope this helps you.

#9 RRog

RRog

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

For the record, Blacklights are almost all UV-A, and I have yet to see any evidence that UV-A helps. UV-B is a BIG deal, but not UV-A.

I am not an Expert. I have so many posts because I ask a lot of questions.

#10 Awoken

Awoken

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

HAha dude this post is from 6 years ago!

#11 RRog

RRog

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Jesus crispies....so it is.

Well, you still can't! hahaha

I am not an Expert. I have so many posts because I ask a lot of questions.