Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Jul
    ΘℏΙℊℏο ☞

Happy Oil Day! Happy birthday to Tesla, Busch and Orff and me!

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      02 Jul
    adrok

The more i learn the more i feel i've just scratched the surface....

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      26 Jun
    Schwann

“Synchronicity reveals the meaningful connections between the subjective and objective world.” - Carl Jung

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

How long does it take for a seed to sprout through

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2002 - 02:04 AM

Okay so I’m working with two seeds here. Both were placed in a damp napkin it took about 3 days for one to crack open and sprout from the seed. I’ve placed that one in nitrogen rich soil with a 500 watt halogen bulb over it I supplemented it’s light source via another 50 watt halogen bulb hanging in my friends closet the 500 watt one is directly over the pot. I’m having him water it till the soil is damp but not soggy twice a day once in the morning and once before he goes to bed I’m keeping the light on 24 hours. I’m mixed the topsoil with foam as a median and mixed some blood mill in with it as a time released fertilizer. I also have a space heater in the walk in closet that we are growing it in as well as a humidifier keeping the room at a perfect 75 degrees. That was two days ago and it hasn’t broken through the soil. Exactly how long does it take usually to break through? I’m really babying this b/c like I said I’m working with a very limited amount of seeds. Any impute?

#2 dickduck

dickduck

Old hand

• Members
  • 773 posts
  • LocationON CAN

Posted 24 November 2002 - 03:45 AM

Assuming it is a quarter inch down it could take up to 10 days to break the soil. It's not an exact science, don't give up on the seed. Ten is an arbitrary number.
dd

#3 TheGanjaGorilla

TheGanjaGorilla

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationN.E. Indiana

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:09 AM

Hey ChronicMan1982, wlecom to the CC forums....
Not to be a dick or anything, but you have a few problem with your grow setup. Here's a few things you should know.

Lights: Incandescence, Halogen, and Grow Show blubs are no good for growing weed. It all has to do with the color of light emitted. If you want to grow pot stick with floros, Metal
Halides, or High Pressure Sodiums.

Watering: One of the biggest mistakes made by new growers is over watering your plants. Watering everyday is too much.
Think of your MJ plants as cacti like. Give them a nice drink, and then wait till the soil is really good and dry before giving them another. If you stick your finger in the soil about a couple inches down, and feel dampness, wait a little longer.
MJ plants can't live in a soggy soil.

Ferts: This is a minor problem, and is subject to personal opinion. I would never use time release ferts. These really look good in the store, but they have a tendency to cause
fertilizer burn. When MJ plants are young, a grower should only add about 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended strength listed on the ferts lable. Little or no ferts are even necessary early on.
A profeshonal potting mix will give you everything to get started with nothing extra added for a few weeks.

Here are a few links to help support my remarks, and give you a better insite....

lights: http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?topic=101
ferts/watering: http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?topic=22
http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?topic=509
germinating/seedling: http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php?topic=166
most everthing else: http://www.overgrow.com/faq/browse.php

TheGanjaGorilla "Whateva, I do what I want." Eric Cartman.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:19 AM

hey Gorilla is right as always........those light you have are bad medicine..........
and since you said you only have very few seeds to work with here are 2 other things you can do:
...1- contact Marc Emery and get some more damn seeds
OR
...2-once seeds are moved from wet paper towel i bury MY seeds only about a quarter inch in dirt and never pat the dirt down afterwards .......just mist it with a spray bottle and in most cases you will have a plant above ground in 24 hours or less....then i just sort of bury it again with a pinch or 2 of dirt and mist him once more and once aday till he is about an inch and a half tall and then i bury it AGAIN up to where only the very tip is above ground and this will premote extra root growth on the stalk so you have a strong happy healthy plant....your plant will be grateful to you for taking care of her and when she grows up she will take care of you
....good luck and lets burn one while we think about it

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2002 - 10:29 AM

seeds with a root tips about 1/4" long is when I planted mine, about a 1/4" down. i dont remember which direction, i just sorta dropped in there... it has only been 36 hours and they have already reached the surface.. they are just ordinary bagseed that I'm practicing on before I get seedbank seeds (next week). watering once a day. it is only 60 F, 55% humidity. HPS is coming next week too. only a single fluoro tube right now (all that was in the house)

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:50 AM

Beyond what the others have said, I want to point out that because you are overwatering severely, the seeds may develop root rot, and never develop. Once the seeds go in the (pre-moistened) soil, the pot should be covered with saran wrap (to hold in moisture) and left in a dark or shady place until the sprouts break the surface. Then they go under the lights. (yes-halogen's suck and won't grow shit)

These seeds may be a lost cause if they don't sprout in a few days. I would recomend you go to Squilly's thread at the top of this forum and read up on the basics if you want to grow.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2002 - 04:00 PM

I had alot of trouble with sprouting when i started a few months ago. what i found that worked was after the taproot was about a 1/4 inch long, but it in the soil root down seed up, just deep enough so the seed is barley covered. mist it, then put seran wrap on it, put it in a cool dakr place, and wait for it to pop up, took mine about 20 hours. good luck don't forget to take off the plastic and put light on em right away, and odn't water them until it's dry.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2002 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the insight I e-mailed my friend about the wrapping in plastic wrap he said he's on it. I guess I'll have to look for some different lighting aswell.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2002 - 01:09 AM

Also I've read Ed Rosenthal's grow guide and in it it says that Halogen lights can be used. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to argue but it's very confussing when I go to one site and someone says yes use halogen I read it in a growers guide that it can be used then I go somewhere else and someone says not to use halogens. This thing with the lighting is starting to annoy me b/c everyone says something else about what kind of lights to use lol.

#10 TheGanjaGorilla

TheGanjaGorilla

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationN.E. Indiana

Posted 25 November 2002 - 01:42 AM

Yeah, you can use a halogen if thats all, and I mean all you can get. But when you compair the amount of watts the light uses compaired to the results, even a floro will produce better bud, for a lot less money.

If you want to want to go with cheap lights with limited results try a few, ( 3 or more ) four foot shoplights, (floros.)
If you have a little money, try about a 400 watt HPS or MH. At that wattage you should have some really nice bud, for about $200.00 U.S. That might sound like a lot, but when you buy on the street, you will go through $200 in just a few weeks.

TheGanjaGorilla "Whateva, I do what I want." Eric Cartman.

#11 Pcholka

Pcholka

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Hey, When planting the seed, place root pointed end up, not down, as the root will grow up over then down naturally, so if you plant root down it uses up it's energy to grow up and through. pre soak your soil before planting and let drain off excess water, then poke hole about 1/4 inch with stick or pencil. Add seed with tweezers not your fingers as you don't want to shock it. Place seed in hole and cover with a little soil, don't pack, just a pinch or so over hole, then water or spray lightly, but not too much or the seed will get lost in soil and go deeper down. Water about once a day max, or until soil gets dry, make sure to remove any clumps around seed area as this will slow down process of seed growing. Do not put lights over pot while in first growing stage as it will burn it. Add plastic wrap over pot at first, can poke holes in it for easy watering.

#12 Nature Boy

Nature Boy

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationOn the planets skin.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

most crack within 1-2 days,most have tap root in 3-4 days.

Earthworm excreta, nature’s most remarkable form of bio-fertilizer and bio-pest control agent.

#13 paul horrocks

paul horrocks

Stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

got 5 big bang seeds and 3 have cracked and tailed and have been in the soil now for there 3rd day and i have two computer fans hovering arond my home made green house but i only have one lamp in there yet as two dose make the soil very hot and i give them arond 70mil of water arond six times aday has not to drown them.any tips for scottie7670 as i.m a first timer and love to learn so any advice wont go a miss.anything you mite be so kind to e.mail me.paul-horrocks@hotmail.com.much respect scotti7670

#14 paul horrocks

paul horrocks

Stranger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

you seem to know your stuff lad and i.m a first timer but if you have any doc you mite be so kind as to e.mailme i would be so grateful.RESPECT scottie7670

#15 dope boii

dope boii

Stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

OK so I have a few things to ask cause I'm new to the whole growing thing.

I have been growing out side from day one plants have never been inside so they are not set on a on/off time I just let it do its thing beside's water I do that.now what I want to know is how long does that take before its ready to harvist an how long before you can tell what the sex is.

So if anbody can help me out I'm open for all suggestions please an thank you.