Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      21 Oct
    Dove

just had a bowl of black tuna. After a long strech of using a vape, the feeling of resiny lips is a deja vu.

Show comments (2)
View All Updates

Why leave plants in DARK before harvest?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 09:16 AM

I have never heard of leaving your plants in a 48-HOUR DARK CYCLE before harvesting.

Is there really any benfit to doing this? If so why?

Thanx.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 11:34 AM

My understanding of the dark situation is this:
Marijuana plants produce THC and other cannabinoids during the night, when they use the glucose that they manufacture through photosynthesis during the day to make proteins and other compounds. It therefor stands to reason that if you let your plants have a longer dark period before you harvest, you might get more potent pot. Also, THC and the other cannabinoids are destroyed by light, esp. intense light. That's why it's best to cure and dry your MJ in a dark place. I've never tried leaving my plants in the dark for 48 hours, but I have made my last few harvest right at the end of the 12 hour dark period, and my plants seem to be more potent when I do it this way.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 12:33 PM

There's alot of debate on this, but theoretically it has the potential to raise the THC levels of the plant. I have never tried this, but will my next grow. After all, what can it hurt to try?

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 01:24 PM

Just found this, thought I would share..

"In the 1970s, Dr Carleton Turner at the University of Mississippi found that there was a variation in the amount of THC in a sample, depending upon the time that the plant was taken. The most potent point was just before dawn after nighttime darkness.

Then, in 2000, Dr Paul Mahlberg of Indiana University showed that THC was produced extracellularly, on the inside of the glandular membrane, which would allow for its daily recycling.

The idea of using a dark period to increase THC before harvest warrants some investigation. An extended dark period right before harvest might very well increase THC content."

-Ed Rosenthal in the current issue of Cannabis Cullture.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2002 - 07:25 PM

Hmmmm .... I was always told ..."Its cause your dad said so."

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2002 - 06:00 PM

In my limited experience with indoors/hydro both harvesting after a dark period and in mid day I have not noticed a measurable difference. Of course I am just a simple farmer that would rather be riding his hawg than conducting scientific experiments.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:40 PM

Hummmm....i have never tried it...but i will do in 3 weeks. But for now i would agree with Harley_Farqar :)

#8 Mr. Sky

Mr. Sky

Stranger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yes, better to do it at night, or induce dark for more hours. This will cause the buds grow more, an extra boost... for the plant, no light and cold temperatures signals winter.

Also, during this period of dark and flushing, you can add flavor to the water that tends to be incorporated into the final bouquet of the ganja.