harry342

single bladed leafs late flowering!

hi im relatively new to hydroponics and im using a rdwc system. 

ive started to develop single bladed leafs. im currently just started week 6 of flower and have never seen this problem before. 

the strain is blue dream.

there is plenty of bud sites but buds them selves are small for week 6. 

any advise would be great. 

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Edited by harry342
pictures was in wrong format

Hi Harry and welcome to CC.

I cant open those pics the format is not known.

Sounds like a genetics problem, and the plant thinks its a giant bud.

If you re veg a flowering plant, you look for when it stops producing triple and single leaves, as that's when the hormonal changes have been made and you know its back in veg mode.

I have 3 blue dream just hatched as well, for the first time :) looking forward to trying these provided I get a female.

are they like this image.png

hi shadey, ive re uploaded the photos in jpeg, I should have taken photos with flash so you could see better.

if that's the case and its has begun to re-veg what would cause that?

• Like 1

High Harry.

I would say that you may have light leakage into the flowering area.  That would explain the tiny buds and what looks like re-vegging plants.

At 6 weeks flower the buds should be pretty fat and be doubling in size over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Have you ever sat in the grow room in the dark and checked for light leaks?  Your timer working alright?

• Like 1

Man that's weird, Like Labrat said probably a light leak, Your trimming is going to easy but your getting short changed on on the sugar trim and bud size :(

How many are like that, and are they all clones from the same plant or from seeds?

• Like 1

hi, I've just sat in the room for 5-10minutes to let my eyes adjust, and there is light in the room. its a small red light, would this cause this problem. I have turned it off now and can honestly say ive never noticed it before. (my bad)

but would this small light cause such a big problem? 

also how would I go about getting g them back on track? or can't I? like I say ive never seen or dealt with this problem before

to answer your question there clones from the same plant in which I grew from seed.

IMG_1059.jpg

• Like 2

Some claim it's possible to have a small, especially red, led light screw up the dark cycle but I'm skeptical about that.

If it's for something you need to have on in there you could put a layer or two of tan masking tape over it to dim it down a lot but still be able to see it's on.

You don't go peeking in on your plants in the dark period fairly often do you?  Even a short exposure to outside light during the dark can screw them up so they never really get into flowering.  I usually have buds the size of ping-pong balls by week 4 and forearm sized ones when they are done tho not with the hi-CBD plants I'm growing more of these days.

What are you using for grow lights?  If feeding high nitrogen nutes that could inhibit flowering but not to the extent that yours are I don't think.  What nutes are you using and how much of which?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, harry342 said:

hi, I've just sat in the room for 5-10minutes to let my eyes adjust, and there is light in the room. its a small red light, would this cause this problem. I have turned it off now and can honestly say ive never noticed it before. (my bad)

but would this small light cause such a big problem? 

also how would I go about getting g them back on track? or can't I? like I say ive never seen or dealt with this problem before

to answer your question there clones from the same plant in which I grew from seed.

Yes, any light can trigger all kinds of problems, it doesn't look much, but different light spectrums will still be very bright for a plant, even if your eyes don't see parts of it.

Like with sound, you can have a 300 decibel infra sound, that you will not hear, but it will damage your eardrums.

Now you have got rid of the light, they should start to get back on track.  I dont know for sure if they will finish small now, or start whatever the time cycle is for them to finish flowering again now.

6 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Some claim it's possible to have a small, especially red, led light screw up the dark cycle but I'm skeptical about that.

If it's for something you need to have on in there you could put a layer or two of tan masking tape over it to dim it down a lot but still be able to see it's on.

You don't go peeking in on your plants in the dark period fairly often do you?  Even a short exposure to outside light during the dark can screw them up so they never really get into flowering.  I usually have buds the size of ping-pong balls by week 4 and forearm sized ones when they are done tho not with the hi-CBD plants I'm growing more of these days.

What are you using for grow lights?  If feeding high nitrogen nutes that could inhibit flowering but not to the extent that yours are I don't think.  What nutes are you using and how much of which?

hi, no I never go in during the dark period (probably why ive never noticed the red led light) I normal have great results too but this time ive ended up with this problem. ill ride it out and cross my fingers. hopefully with a bit of time they will rectify themselves. 

• Like 1

Is it the first time you have grown these clones from the mother. if not did they grow OK the last time?

• Like 1

I started using a new heater in my grow room that has red LEDs on it and the last couple of grows have been very under par.  Last one got seeded up bad and had mites so I expected a big yield hit and got it.  Th grow before was all hi-CBD plants and so I didn't know what to expect but didn't get lots.

Think I'll make use of the masking tape myself or get around to wiring up the baseboard heater I mounted on the wall before I noticed it was 240V.  It has no lights on it.

If they haven't really initiated flowering properly you could be looking at another 6 weeks or more before they are ready to harvest.  Taht sux but better than starting from scratch.

I found a great spot to download FREE POT BOOKS. I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more.  Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here.  No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as some are 50+ megs. They got lots.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

I started using a new heater in my grow room that has red LEDs on it and the last couple of grows have been very under par.  Last one got seeded up bad and had mites so I expected a big yield hit and got it.  Th grow before was all hi-CBD plants and so I didn't know what to expect but didn't get lots.

Think I'll make use of the masking tape myself or get around to wiring up the baseboard heater I mounted on the wall before I noticed it was 240V.  It has no lights on it.

If they haven't really initiated flowering properly you could be looking at another 6 weeks or more before they are ready to harvest.  Taht sux but better than starting from scratch.

I found a great spot to download FREE POT BOOKS. I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more.  Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here.  No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as some are 50+ megs. They got lots.  Enjoy.

I have done 5 previous grows in this room, will all brilliant results, this is the first major problem ive encountered, saying that ive only done girl scout cookies previously. this is the first time with blue dream.

hopefully it won't take another 6 weeks but if that's what they need, like you say its better than cutting my losses and starting again. 

• Like 1

thanks for all the advise and guidance guys, I was quite hesitant about joining this forum, but you've all been a good help. 

ill keep you all updated on the results, and weather or not they come out of this problem. thanks guys

• Like 2

Hopefully its not genetic and your next batch dont do the same.

This is what your plant sees in the dark with a minuscule amount of infra red light.

image.png

• Like 2

Just now, Shadey said:

Hopefully its not genetic and your next batch dont do the same.

This is what your plant sees in the dark with a minuscule amount of infra red light.

image.png

believe me im going to be on top of light leaks in the future!! 

• Like 1

Was that light on during your other grows?  If so then we can pretty much rule that out a source of the problem.

Checked out your nutes and they seem fine.  I use AN pH Perfect 3-part with Big Bud for a bloom booster and have used mainly AN for the last 17 years in DWC and Soilless growing in pots of ProMix HP.  400 and 1000W HID lighting once past seedling stage.

Puzzling to say the least.

4 minutes ago, harry342 said:

I was quite hesitant about joining this forum

How come?  We're a friendly bunch but not very busy.  A moderator who used to be here was a tyrant and chased off a lot of people but we got rid of him a few years back now.  This place used to be the busiest pot forum on the net but I wouldn't want it to be that busy now.  Just Shadey and I minding the store now.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Was that light on during your other grows?  If so then we can pretty much rule that out a source of the problem.

yes the red led was on during the other grows and they never had a problem and they turned out great results.. 

36 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I use AN pH Perfect 3-part with Big Bud for a bloom booster and have used mainly AN for the last 17 years in DWC

just been looking into these nutes and I may make the switch after this grow is done, the reviews are great. thanks for the advise

• Like 2

Then you have a dud for a mom methinks.  Should get some cuttings off her and toss her in the grow room to see how she performs.  If she grow like her babies then you have your answer to what's going on.  If she does badly too then toss the clones and start something different from seed.

Too bad but shit does happen in the growing game.  I've had my share of shit too.

Reading about that bloom booster on their site and it says not to start using it until week 4.  That seems nuts to me as I give my girls 1/2 dose of Big Bud, (0-15-35, 10% S), a week before flipping to flower and the buds just start bursting out by week 2.  The other half the dose on the day I flip to 12/12.

I stop feeding the BB at the end of week 5 for an 8 - 9 week strain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Reading about that bloom booster on their site and it says not to start using it until week 4.  That seems nuts to me

yeah I thought the same thing when I looked at the feeding charts, but ive stuck to it, and like I say in the previous grows ive have great results.

ill see it threw this time and make the switch to your recommended nutes, 

ride this one out and hope for somewhat good results I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Don't throw away the nutes you have to switch.  Nothing wrong with what you have as far as I can see.  I met the owner of AN as they were starting the company not far from where I lived at the time and I like supporting a Canadian company that has been honest about what they make their nutes for since the beginning.  This has made every other hypocritical nute company like GH their enemy as they hid behind claims of growing flowers and vegetables and shunned pot growers so fuck them!  GH is owned by Scotts/Monsant/Bayer now too and I wouldn't buy anything those toxic nazi bastards try to sell me.  Rant over. ;)

Never have to worry about pH with AN stuff and that's a time saver.  I also only use RO or distilled water and with DWC I often do the whole grow without once changing nutes but I've done about 50 grows in Rubbermaid tubs since 2001 and grew my first buds in 1978 so have had a bit of experience at it.  Funny thing is I could never keep a damn house plant alive to save my own life. lol

Good luck with yours and I hope they turn around for you but now I'm thinking you just started with a bad seed for this one.