Old renots

Curling leaves??

Question for a friend who has 4 beautiful Purple Power girls in the growing stage...they are looking beautiful,but she noticed that some leaves are trying to curl up-side down ...not a full turn,and only some leaves but neither of us have seen this before. Under 1000 watt...about 18" from top of plants....leaves do not look burnt at all? What would cause this? Thanks for any help?

• Like 2

High Old renots/stoner :)

By upside down do you mean like they are going 'taco' or for us Canadians 'canoe' ?

If that's it and it's mostly at the top of the plant it sounds like heat stress.

A pic or two would help.  One of the leaves doing their thing and a whole plant pic.

You just click on the 'choose files' at the bottom of this box and select the picture file to up it here.

Some info about soil/medium, temps and humidity helps too.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes by upside down I meant like a canoe eh. I will stop by her place later and hopefully get a photo or two to post(hopefully I can figure that part out lol).  I was thinking it would be heat related as oh my it was warm in her room...told her yesterday that it seemed too hot and to keep window partly open to cool it down a bit. ...Im thinking she doesn't have a humidifier set up either. Sounds like we both have some learning to do on growing indoors. I personally never have except for when I started plants off as babies or clones...but then moved them outside to grow and finish outdoors,just never seen this curling thing outside. Thanks

• Like 2

Making sure you have good air movement so the leaves are moving around a bit helps to prevent that.

yep...there is a fan blowing side to side...perhaps keeping it constant in one direction on them would be better...that's not too much movement?

Oscillating fan is generally best but I have 2 fans going.  A 16" bolted to the ceiling that hits the wall at an angle and blows into the plants canopy area and a 12" on the floor about 3' from the plants sweeping back and forth at the top of the pots.  The floor one is plugged into the same timer that the light is on so it shuts off in the dark but the bigger one runs 24/7.

If the nutes are too strong they can build up in the leaves and with a bit too much heat, some of it radiant, the top fan leaves will taco then can burn too.   Edges will go brown but they can get crispy all over the leaves too.  I also use a 1000W light sometimes.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, LabRat said:

High Old renots/stoner :)

By upside down do you mean like they are going 'taco' or for us Canadians 'canoe' ?

If that's it and it's mostly at the top of the plant it sounds like heat stress.

A pic or two would help.  One of the leaves doing their thing and a whole plant pic.

You just click on the 'choose files' at the bottom of this box and select the picture file to up it here.

Some info about soil/medium, temps and humidity helps too.

Hi Old renotes! I would agree with Lab Rat. Sounds like heat stress. What size is your grow room where you got this 1000watt lamp firing? And you say something really confusing cause you put a question mark after what you've written that sounds like a statement:

" Under 1000 watt...about 18" from top of plants....leaves do not look burnt at all?"

If that 1000watt lamp was only 18" away from zee canopy, and you say zee room was really hot--then yeh!--most definitely I'd say heat stress.  I would NEVER now hang a 1000watt lamp just 18" away from my plant canopy. That's now, after 30 years of growing. But when I first started out I did a lot of stupid things, trying shit, when I didn't even know what I was doing.

For example, 30 years ago I read in High Times that 1000watt lights were more powerful and grew plants better and faster, so Idiot Me, I went out and bought my first 1000watt MH light for my first grow room which was only 5X5' with NO ventilation! Zee only thing I did right was hang it way up close to zee ceiling for my seedlings. But once they were a foot high, THEY FRIED! Not all at once, but as I lowered that big honkin 1000watter down closer, zee leaves started to curl! AND my room was hotter than HELL! After my first crop was in Heaven, fried to a crisp in my room, I brought zee light back to my grow shop and told them it killed my plants! The owner Bob just shook his head. Luckily, it was a slow day for him and he sat me down, poured us some lemon aid and sparked up a joint and taught me some Growing 101 basics about indoor growing. He said, "Save that light for when you got a whole large room to grow in and I walked out with it AND with a new 600watt MH system, some fans and a fucking thermometer!  In that short half hour he taught me my grow should be 75-82F and no warmer with plenty of ventilation and I was off to zee races!

SO, Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Have an awesome Sunday and a great next week!

• Like 1