Sign in to follow this  
BoiseBud

Generating CO2 on the cheap

A decent CO2 generator is out of my cost range for this project.  I was considering yeast and sugar in a container. I remember from my beer brewing days that there was a fairly constant release.  It usually ran about a week. I thought if I went strictly for CO2 by adding a lot of yeast and sugar, it might go a couple weeks. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I thought a couple 1 gallon ice cream tubs in the grow tent might be beneficial?  It's a 2'x4'x5' tent with an exhaust fan running for 30 minutes, every 2 hours.

I make wine and put my fermentation bucket in my flower room. The speed of fermentation is controlled by heat, yeast likes temps from 70 f to 80f if you keep it around 70 you can get 10-14 days, if your temp is 80 you will get 6-7 day's. If your exhaust fan is just to refresh the air in the tent you could turn it off. If you need it for heat and humidity control then you will waste a lot of CO2. 1 ice cream tub would probably be enough.

2 hours ago, BoiseBud said:

Thanks Shadey, I'll get it going today.

Get an airlock and rubber bung, that would be used in a fermentation bucket, they are not expensive, you can get them at the wine making shops,cut a hole in the lid of your icecream container, so the rubber bung holding the airlock, is a tight fit, and stuff it in the hole.

That way, when the water in the airlock stops bubbling at a steady rate, you know it's starting to need replacing.

• Like 1