Yeinglon

when are the plants going to flower or bud?

I read that plants flower when there's 12 hours of darkness. So that means September 21st, doesn't it?

Can I tell whether they're male or female before that, or do I really have to wait until the last stretch?

• Like 1

well it depends on where you are in this big world.up here in the north it has already started with some strains.

that's the other thing , certain strains will flower earlier than others, noticeably indica strains flower earlier than sativas.

autoflowers just bud at a preset time ,theoretically anyway.

so without knowing the strain, it's a guessing game.

you can check in the corner of the branches and see if you can see any preflowers [little hairs] but other than that you'll have to wait.

but it will depend on whether you live in the equatorial regions or further north as this will mean alot as to when to expect them

to ripen.hope this helps.

• Like 2

Hi Yeignlon welcome to CC.

I would like to add to patchgrowers, info, plants can actually start going into flower at around 15-14 hours of light onwards, but if you are growing inside, 12 hour's is best for getting them into flower mode quickly, but also dependant on the thing's Patchgrower said about strains.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 2:14 AM, Yeinglon said:

Can I tell whether they're male or female before that, or do I really have to wait until the last stretch?

Many, if not most, hybrids will display pre flowers after 6-8 weeks of veg time.  Look at the nodes where the stipules (green spikey things) appear for either white "hairs" or green "balls".

You can also take some cuttings, place them in a glass of water inside, under 12/12 lighting.  In 10-15 days, the cuts will begin to develop flowers, then you'll know ahead of time which of your outdoor plants are going to be bud producers (provided you labeled the cuts and the parent plants so you can match them up).

....If you're using feminized beans, the plants will all be female, that's the beauty of feminization....

• Like 2

I'll chip in and add that there's a "grey zone" between flowering and not flowering where the plants can exhibit some weird behaviour, can't *quite* decide if they should be flowering or not, if you have the photoperiod right on the line.  I think it qualifies as a form of stress and can cause hermies to form, or at least it seemed that way the one time I tried maximizing the photoperiod during flowering to boost flower mass (but sticking to a 24-hour cycle).  I eventually settled back on the good ol' 12/12, quality over quantity, etc.

Just before I shutdown a few years ago (I am so looking forward to this October 17th! :groupwave:) I tried boosting flower mass with an 18/12 photoperiod, getting 4X 30-hour "days" for every 5 real days.  It didn't seem to harm flowering at all (as I understand it the flowering hormone is triggered by an extended period of darkness, not by a shortened period of light).  Mathematically one might expect, with 60% of the "day" lit instead of 50% that there might be 20% more mass... I don't recall that being the case though.  I might toy with that again in future (would be difficult though if I go the greenhouse route, where I'd be extending or shortening the lit period using supplemental lighting or shades).

• Like 1

To answer the question more directly than I did ;), yeah, they'll start flowering before September 21st outdoors.  Indoors 12/12 can show flowers in as little as 5 days, outdoors with that gradual lengthening of the nights, depending on the strain as mentioned, they'll start showing when the nights are still shorter than 12 hours.  Right about now in fact with the 10-hour nights (assuming you're near the same latitude somewhere in the world)...  the sex of the flowers becomes obvious within a week of the first ones appearing (and after doing this a few times you'll even be able to sex them based on those immature pre-flowers, tiny subtle differences even at that stage).

Cloning for sex determination as mentioned above is quite useful.  That pesky 4-plant limit though... bah...  even just a cutting in water, does anyone know the legal status of that?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, spectralmagic said:

.  even just a cutting in water, does anyone know the legal status of that?

I have been wondering myself what constitutes a plant. To me it has to have roots and able to support itself and grow, if left alone. Cuttings don't count as far as I am concerned but what is legally required may be another matter.

• Like 1

I'm an outlaw, so I always think of things from that perspective.  Even if I could legally grow x number of plants in my backyard, I doubt that I would.  Seems like it would invite scrutiny.

You don't need clones to sex the plants, just cuttings.  If a cut branch has no roots, how can it be classified a plant?  

Moreover, if the cuttings are in a glass of water indoors under 12/12, sequestered from prying eyes, how is "the man" gonna find them??

• Like 1

So I sifted through the Cannabis Act, and the way it's worded, roots or no, if it's a living viable piece of a cannabis plant, it's one plant.  They don't specify whether it should have roots or not.  Maybe they heard of those people that were doing tissue-culture to get around the definition of a plant...  this is probably one of those things that'll have to be tested in court.  I suspect the courts would say any cutting is a plant, otherwise we'd have a new clone industry that focuses solely on fresh cuttings instead of rooted clones (in fact, I've seen a website like that).

"The man" can enter the home under the flimsiest of excuses, has happened to me.  Then they start counting plants... which did not happen to me as, somehow, they weren't there for the plants at all and that would have been extra paperwork or something, maybe if I'd had more than I did...  that's what shut me down, have been waiting to grow since.

• Like 1

That's a bit of a disappointment, I don't know how they can call a cutting a plant.

Personally I'm hoping someone on our side with resources tests this idea in court: that cuttings have the same status as seeds, until they're put in some kind of growth medium they're not plants.  Sound reasonable?

• Like 1

There is a process called sexing that you should look up. you don't need to require on mother nature to sex your own plans. Obviously they have to be potted and not in ground so that you can move them into a completely dark room or if you have a minute outside hoop or a greenhouse simply put a dark tarp over your hoop house Etc to block out any light. After a week or so of this they will show you signs of sex.