The strains in the following list have been rated as providing considerable therapeutic relief to those who are suffering from mild to moderate levels of depression.

AK-47 -
Dubbed the “one-hit wonder,” AK-47 has won many awards and produces a high that relaxes and relieves anxiety.
Effects: Calming, Euphoric, Happy, Sleepy
Symptom Relief: Depression, Headaches, Pain, Sleeplessness, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Earthy, Pungent, Skunky, Sour, Spicy

Amnesia Haze -
Well-known for its potential to relax the mind.
Effects: Creative, Euphoric, Giggly, Happy, Psychoactive
Symptom Relief: Anxiety, Depression, Fatigue, Hyperactivity, Inattentiveness, Migraines
Flavors/Aromas: Citrus, Earthy, Lemon, Earthy, Sweet

Blue Dream -
“Uplifts while easing tension, anxiety, and stress”
Effects: Calming, Creative, Euphoric, Happy
Symptom Relief: Anxiety, Depression, Hyperactivity, Inattentiveness, Inflammation, Migraines
Flavors/Aromas: Berry, Earthy, Fruity, Sweet, Vanilla

Chiesel-
Leaves patients happy and energetic but “not too high.”
Effects: Creative, Energized, Euphoric, Happy
Symptom Relief: Depression, Eye Pressure, Pain, Sleeplessness, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Cheese, Diesel, Pungent

Girl Scout Cookies  -
Although Indica dominant, the relatively high sativa content eases tension, anxiety and promotes relaxation.
Effects: Cerebral, Euphoric, Creative, Introspective, Uplifted
Symptom Relief: Anxiety, Depression,  Lack of Appetite, Nausea, Pain, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Cherry, Earthy, Lemon, Minty, Nutty, Pungent, Spicy

Jack Herer -
This classic was named after the influential cannabis activist and is one of the most well-known strains. It is both activating and relaxing at the same time.
Effects: Body Buzz, Cerebral, Creative, Energized, Euphoric, Happy
Symptom Relief: Depression, Fatigue, Nausea, Pain, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Earthy, Lemon, Pine, Spicy, Sweet
Flavors/Aromas: Earthy, Herbal, Lemon, Spicy, Sweet, Woody

Jilly bean -
Jilly bean is a great daytime strain, ideal for getting things done and staying positive.  The high is bubbly and cerebral, but, because of the indica genes, there are limited body effects.
Effects: Calming, Cerebral, Focused, Relaxed
Symptom Relief: Depression, Nausea, Pain, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Earthy, Floral, Mango, Pine, Skunky, Sweet

Kill Bill-
This strain is known to leave you peaceful, yet motivated.
Effects: Calming, Cerebral, Focused, Relaxed
Symptom Relief: Depression, Lack of Appetite, Pain, Stress
Flavors/Aromas: Earthy, Floral, Pine, Skunky, Sweet

Pineapple Express -
Seth Rogen and James Franco immortalized this strain in the 2008 movie of the same name.
Effects: Cerebral, Clear-Headed, Energetic, Euphoric, Focused
Symptom Relief: Confusion, Depression, Fatigue, Nausea, Nightmares,
Flavors/Aromas: Cedar, Earthy, Pine, Pineapple, Sweet

Sour OG -
This strain is known for leaving patients feeling relaxed and peaceful while still highly productive.
Effects: Euphoric, Giggly, Happy, Relaxed, Social, Uplifted
Symptom Relief: Depression, Lack of Appetite, Nausea, Pain, Stress,
Flavors/Aromas: Citrus, Deisel, Earthy, Pungent, Sour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I need to give the Jack Herer a go, I keep reading how good it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jo Harvelle said:

Great Information. But also provide a link to your post.

Why does he need a link, the information is in the post?

Generally it's good to link to your sources, so people can verify any points that interest them.

I keep hearing that cannabis helps mild to moderate depression, but as I have rather severe depression at times, I can't say that cannabis actually helps *that* very much.  Anxiety, panic, unnecessary shame and guilt, sure it helps with those... but when the actual big D hits I need to hit other receptors.  Have actually been finding kratom useful here, on and off for the past few years...  but kratom also hits alpha-1 adrenaline receptors so cannabis helps quiet that down a bit, they're not a bad combo for depression but sometimes it makes me feel almost like I'm back on pharms... at least kratom is *much* easier to stop than pharms, doesn't lock you into a full-time relationship that becomes ineffective after a few months, can use it just for those periods when one needs to.

The name of a strain can be a good place to start from, but growing methods and even variation within a strain can affect suitability for specific conditions quite a bit...  I generally try to determine what the actual levels are of THC, CBD, etc.  Sometimes the place I go to displays test results (assume they're real for the moment, heh), other times I buy a few different strains and see which one works best and go back for more of that one.  Tempted to get one of those home IR spectrometers, I realize they can be wildly inaccurate if you don't properly prepare the sample but I think I could make use of one.

And for headaches (in my case cluster headaches) I actually have to go easy on cannabis, so much so that my immune system starts noticing and the inflammation everywhere else starts up again.  Cannabis acts on several different systems and ironically it can sometimes suppress pain-suppressing mechanisms more than it suppresses the pain, if you catch my drift?  Depends on where the pain is originating from I guess.

Whatever works, so long as it works, ultimately.  If anyone finds that a particular thing isn't quite living up to the promise, it could just be that they're not quite typical and have to try something else, but don't feel bad doing so.  Anecdotal lesson here, I used psilocybe mushrooms for cluster headaches over a decade ago, but at some point since then they stopped working like they used to (can still end individual headaches, but the cluster continues for some reason).  My doctor suggested amitriptyline, which I wasn't a fan of, but decided to give it a try.  Oh dear bob, within a week or two the headaches were completely suppressed... I could tell the cluster wasn't over by some other symptoms that remained, but the blowtorch cutting into my skull was gone (no more level 10 pain, on the floor writhing around, limbs flailing, wet screams in-between the vomiting, etc - for an hour, several times per day, for 3 months if untreated).  When I knew the cluster was over, I stopped the amitriptyline since mixing it with just about anything can be fatal...

...speaking of whatever works so long as it works though, I have lately been finding some promise in microdosing mushrooms for depression... every 3 days take just enough to barely notice...  so far working as well as any of the antidepressants I tried, curious to see if it keeps working after a while, unlike the antidepressants.