Roonstone Resin

Final Trimming. When to?

Hello all,

I harvest my plants at sunrise. Does anyone know if its okay to do my final trim the night before(when its dark)? This way all I have to do at sunrise is cut and hang.

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Hi Roonstone welcome to CC.

Yourgoing to get very sticky, trimming in the dark. I can't see why it would be a problem to do that.

• Like 1

It's not too bad, I have some light from the back of the house. Not too bright but ok to see. I grow in my backyard. I didn't think it should matter but thought I would ask. Ya never know.  Thanks Shadey

• Like 2

Whatever time is best for you is the best time to harvest.  No real difference that a mere mortal can detect.

I only grow indoors and crop over a period of a couple weeks.  I take the ripest colas, just enough to take an hour to do a final trim on, then put the finished buds in doubled paper bags and keep them in my cool basement to dry over a couple weeks.  Then they go into jars for burping another month.  The slow drying is actually the curing process and by not allowing the outside of the buds to dry fast the moisture gradually leaves the buds evenly.  Try it sometime.  Smoothest smoke ever and I've prolonged the drying part for up to 5 weeks but 10 days seems like enough.

I bought a TrimPro Unplugged to speed up the trimming process but it doesn't work well with buds fresh off the plant.  The sugar leaves just get glued to the buds but I've tried it with dryer buds and it works great.  May build a dry box with a controller to keep the RH high enough to get 10 days drying them hung up so the trichs aren't so sticky then do the final trim with the machine.

If you're cropping lots of plants you might not have time to fuss around tho. :)

:peace:

• Like 1

Thanks LabRat.

Ive always just let my weed hang in my shed till it was ready to make oil. I don't smoke weed. Good oil but no taste. I've been reading up on the curing and sounds like I am doing that this year. Maybe keep some of the taste this time. I'm growing THC Bomb, Bad Azz Kush and Trans Siberian. Should make for plenty of Roonstone Resin. :)

• Like 2

One of the problems with drying pot before making oil or the cocobudder I like to use is that a lot of terpenes are lost while the pot dries.  I was reading about a method to make cocobudder out of pot fresh off the plant so all the terpenes and some of the THC etc that does evaporate off the bud as it dries is captured in the oil.  Planning to try that soon as I have some more fresh bud in a couple or three months.

What do you use your oil for?

• Like 1

Yes all the terpenes are gone if you dry it completely. But if I dry it like the weed smokers do with Mason jars the terpenes will be there. Then I'll extract the oil to smoke. It's the leaf I'm not into. Even as a teenager I hated weed, then someone showed me hash. Then the same person showed me oil, a match made in heaven. LOL  Been extracting for quite a while. Time to move my game up. :) I'm even thinking of trying to make some crumble or shatter. Read lots on it. Enough of buying it.

I have run the oil live once. You need to freeze the bud as soon as you cut it!! Must freeze the water in the plant. Let it freeze GOOD!! a few days. You also put you container in the freezer. Ok everything goes in the freezer. Then it all comes out at once..bud in container fast, seal container, butane it. The container needs to be closed at the bottom to hold the butane. You let the bud soak and agitate at times. Bud will stay frozen and so will the water in the plant. The agitation helps with dropping the Trico's. You can keep the container in the freezer and agitate for a few hours if you want. The oil is very light. And tasty. I preferred my old way. Dont let any part of the container get above -1C. Use an insulated glove.  Holy crap, I'm high and rambling.  LMAO.   Oh yeah, vent your container at top. :)

• Like 2

I make BHO with everything froze.  I even distill the butane out of the mix so I can re-use the butane and get a lot more pot processed with it.  Just two flat bottomed boil balls and a coil of copper tubing into the deep freezer that connects the two so I can recover most of the butane.  Need a pressure vessel to keep what's left tho.  My Aladdin thermos didn't work even left in the freezer to keep the butane below it's boiling point of -0.5C  Works just like ISO if you keep it cold.

BHOSept181001.jpg

• Like 1

I've often thought about distilling it back but smoke too much indica. lol I live in a subdivision. Have to keep the plants small. No Sativa.

I really need to do that. I'm processing more of my own theses days besides what my friend brings me. And he'll bring me up to 3 lbs to run. He grows Indica Dom hybrids. I can't sit when I smoke sativa. Time to read up on building my still. lol

Love that pic. Yours? How do you get the oil out?

• Like 2

Just rinse the oil out with a little ISO, EverClear, methyl hydrate etc and evap it off in a pie plate sitting on a pot of simmering water.  Suck it up in a glass syringe and put it into vials.

Oil022.jpg

Easy-peasy. :)

You want to learn about distilling and home made stills check out homedistiller.org

• Like 1