trichy

Dry fresh bud, quick.

So if I need to sample a freshly harvested bud?

I usually take a smallish bud, 2 or 3 joints worth and put it between at least 4 paper towels. 

Pop that in the microwave for 23 seconds. Give it a minute to cool, move the bud to a dry spot on the towels and give it another 23 seconds.... let it cool, move to a dry spot another 23 seconds. It might be ready to smoke now it might need another 23 seconds. 

Notes: My microwave is a low power unit. 

It feels wet still when it comes out after the 3rd or 4th time, let it cool and get hard before making the call to smoke or re-nuke. 

Avoid the centre of the microwave and keep your shit on the outside perimeter or fires can happen. 

• Like 2

I wonder how a dehydrator would do, like for making jerky. I used to do this with leaves back in the 80s, not knowing what I know now about toxic heavy metal build up from toxic miracle grow, the leaves would start to spark and spontaneously ignite setting the paper towel on fire and the microwave would pop and bang. Good test to see if your flushing has worked in removing the salts and heavy metal build ups in the plant lol.

• Like 1

I had issues with fires starting at the floret/stem junction on earlier attempts. But I.....

- reduced time

- avoided centre of microwave 

- try not to grow stressed weeds

• Like 2

I won't use a microwave for anything other than heating water.  Totally screws up food and destroys most of the nutritional content.  In Russia they are not permitted in public facilities like hospitals etc so if they refuse to use them you can bet they aren't good for you.  Hospitals here use pre-cooked then frozen meals they ship around to old folks homes and the hospitals to help healthy people get well.  I damn near starve when I've had to be in the hospitals here.  Cheap margarine on toast etc.  Juice containers no better than Kool-Aid with a bit of vit. C.  Gag me with a spoon!

Any heavy metals or anything else in your plants are not removed with a flush.  Once there they are there for good.  Same with salts from fertilizers.  Flushing only removes nutrients from the soil so your plants have to steal what they can from older leaves but if you have toxic salts buildup it won't do a thing to fix that.  Same with those flushing compounds they charge lots for.

Water curing on the other hand can get a lot of that crap out after the harvest tho.  Buds don't look too pretty afterwards but smoke nice and seem more potent as the plant material is reduced thus upping the percentage of resin related to total weight.

:peace:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LabRat said:

Any heavy metals or anything else in your plants are not removed with a flush.  Once there they are there for good.  Same with salts from fertilizers.  Flushing only removes nutrients from the soil so your plants have to steal what they can from older leaves but if you have toxic salts buildup it won't do a thing to fix that.  Same with those flushing compounds they charge lots for.

Really, I thought that is why people did it to remove all the crap out of the plants for a healthier smoke, even more happier I went organic.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 7:53 AM, Shadey said:

Really, I thought that is why people did it to remove all the crap out of the plants for a healthier smoke, even more happier I went organic.

The plants can't tell the difference between the nutrients supplied by organic and not-organic fertilizers, in fact, you are more likely to introduce nasty stuff into your grows by going organic... it is kinda funny actually, you want to avoid "crap" by going organic, but isn't crap the mainstay of organic fertilizers. ;)

• Like 2

LOL, Yes but there is a difference between industrial crap and organic crap, Animal crap has been through a filtering process which usually removes any toxins when it was food for the animal, and if it was organic food, it would have even less toxins, that could be in it when processed into crap :crazy:

• Like 1

“I won't use a microwave for anything other than heating water.  Totally screws up food and destroys most of the nutritional content.” Labrat 

Links to peer reviewed research, please. 

Here’s the wiki. “Any form of cooking will destroy some nutrients in food, but the key variables are how much water is used in the cooking, how long the food is cooked, and at what temperature.[35] Nutrients are primarily lost by leaching into cooking water, which tends to make microwave cooking healthier, given the shorter cooking times it requires.[36] Like other heating methods, microwaving converts vitamin B12 from an active to inactive form; the amount of conversion depends on the temperature reached, as well as the cooking time. Boiled food reaches a maximum of 100 °C (212 °F) (the boiling point of water), whereas microwaved food can get locally hotter than this, leading to faster breakdown of vitamin B12. The higher rate of loss is partially offset by the shorter cooking times required.[37]

Spinach retains nearly all its folate when cooked in a microwave; in comparison, it loses about 77% when boiled, leaching out nutrients. Bacon cooked by microwave has significantly lower levels of carcinogenic nitrosamines than conventionally cooked bacon.[35]Steamed vegetables tend to maintain more nutrients when microwaved than when cooked on a stovetop.[35]Microwave blanching is 3–4 times more effective than boiled water blanching in the retaining of the water-soluble vitamins folic acid, thiamin and riboflavin, with the exception of ascorbic acid, of which 28.8% is lost (vs. 16% with boiled water blanching).[38]

Microwaving human milk at high temperatures is not recommended as it causes a marked decrease in activity of anti-infective factors.[39]

• Like 1

I have never been able to find that oxymoron organic fertilizer, where do you get it? :)

You may or may not want to read this but I will put it here anyway. The long version at the bottom with the link.

The short version of what it does to food. Its not what it takes away, its what it changes.

The findings include:

• Carcinogenic substances were formed from the microwaving of nearly all foods tested
  • Microwaving milk and grains resulted in carcinogenic substances being formed through the conversion of amino acids
  • Microwaving prepared meats caused cancer-causing agents such as d-Nitrosodienthanolamines to form
  • Microwaving fruits as a method of thawing resulted in the conversion of glucoside and galactoside fractions into carcinogenic substances
  • Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens
  • Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables
  • Structural degradation leading to decreased food value was found to be 60 to 90 percent overall for all foods tested, with significant decreases in bioavailability of B complex vitamins, vitamins C and E, essential minerals, and lipotropics
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

...and this is where it can go crazy, people start pulling out decontextualized "facts" and the race is on.

Back in microbiology class we learnt about the Ames Test, we were also told that after checking out all those nasty petro products for carcinogens he started looking at foods - and found them to be full of mutagens as well! So why don't we all have cancer. A bit more investigation revealed that along with the potentially cancer causing mutagens were things like antioxidants. Point is - pulling individual bits and pieces out of a large and complex system will not get you an accurate picture or prove anything, it is a good way to reinforce your own beliefs and biases though.

Microwave ovens let you precisely put heat wherever there are polar molecules, and since you are effectively grabbing those specific molecules and shaking them up to speed (instead of waiting for neighboring molecules to bump into it enough) you can get them really hot really fast. If you can figure out how to work with that, have fun. I just use it to reheat leftovers and soften butter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unregistered said:

...and this is where it can go crazy, people start pulling out decontextualized "facts" and the race is on.

Yes I agree m8, its does not present the full picture.

But what about accumulative radiation exposure :cyclops:

LMAO, thanks, but only one more problem, I haven't worn underwear since I was 12.  :blush: