Hi Guys, just an update, thanx allot for the help with the sick little seedling, got past that now it's a large plant, and still growing,

just over 8wks old, it's taken a gallon (uk) RO water everyday, placed it in flower on the 21st, I hope to thin the leaves a bit in the next couple of weeks, it amazes me

how fast they grow.

The extractor fan I am using has zero resistance, so I cannot add a carbon filter, and boy does this plant honk when it's a bit older, so I am thinking about buying a Gekko Fan

it says (fingers crossed) it is ultra quiet, also I bought a carbon filter and a Phresh Silencer, silence is very important, so I hope it's what it says on the kan.

Hi Shadey hope all is well........

Attached are some pic's

21st Jan 18....JPG

21st Jan 18.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magician said:

The extractor fan I am using has zero resistance, so I cannot add a carbon filter, and boy does this plant honk when it's a bit older, so I am thinking about buying a Gekko Fan

Hi Magician. Things are pretty good atm thanks, plants looking very healthy now, Probably took 4 weeks to get over its initial problem so its doing well for size. Are you going to scrog it with a net to get more budding area and reduce the height? I cant believe its drinking a gal a day, mine are using half a gal a week and they are about the same size. Is your Humidity low?

The fan looks good similar in design to my furnace fan only smaller if its the same as I just googled. Make sure the fan has enough CFM when the filter is attached same for the filter, they are all rated differently. A filter that allows a higher CFM than the fan produces will put less stress on the fan which equals less noise and a longer lasting fan. My fan is a normal inline type and its not very loud, so if that is supposed to be quiet it probably will be very quiet, you can get a fan speed controller as well, and then run it at a lower speed which will quieten it more and save wear and tear.

• Like 1

What is your grow media? That is a monster plant. Looks like it's been topped a few times. Super bushy. Might I ask you which strain?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GBuds said:

What is your grow media? That is a monster plant. Looks like it's been topped a few times. Super bushy. Might I ask you which strain?

Hi GBuds, I have topped the plant only once, "didn't know you could do it more than once"

I am using a DWC system, and the Nutes = PH Perfect, Advanced Nutrients

The Strain is Medical, and there called PainKiller XL,

thanx for the interest.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your plants are doing well, for me at least I hate it when my baby isn't happy :) you cant settle, it's always on your mind.

Is your Humidity low?...................I think it doesn't exist :) I cant control humidity, it's just is what it is, I am faced with extracting the air to keep the temp down, and thats it...

Yesterday the air Silencer thing arrived, and it's huge :) I have no idea what to expect but it's huge, it will go in the attic, still awaiting the Filter and the Fan, will take some pics when this arrives, but the scale of the stuff is allot bigger than I imagined :)

I am sure I read you were thinking about hydroponics, have you decided yet ?

I would love to grow a few plants like you, but just not practical, I will be using the scrogg net again, the last time it really worked well.

The head hit has almost gone, it's all body now, although before bed I take some with tin pears, (I eat it)  I like the relax effect it has on you in bed, there is an ever so slight buzz, and a sleep for 8hrs no problems, I suffered from insomnia for years, was addicted to sleeping pills, had to then go through hell to get off them, and years followed and many many sleepless nights, now I don't hate the idea of going to bed, good sleep constantly is half the battle, and for pain relief, I find I have reduced by half the painkillers I take, and I could cut them out altogether, but I don't have enough cannabis to last me till the next harvest, I can honestly say It has changed my life for the better.

Look after your self,

regards

copy 25th Jan 18.jpg

25th Jan 18..JPG

• Like 1

Yesterday the air Silencer thing arrived, and it's huge :) I have no idea what to expect but it's huge, it will go in the attic, still awaiting the Filter and the Fan, will take some pics when this arrives, but the scale of the stuff is allot bigger than I imagined :)

Man that is a big silencer, I thought it was the filter when I first saw it. Will the air vent directly from the end of that silencer, straight into your loft space?

I doubt you will here anything except the fan solenoid click on when you have it all working. You may not need to vent into the attic as there will be no smell if the filter is doing its job well. If you are venting hot moist air into the attic you may accumulate frost up there in the winter and come spring a sudden thaw will release a lot of water, Lab found that out the hard way :( I know Scotland does not have the same prolonged below minus cold spells like Canada but be careful, you dont want to rot out the roof joists.

The head hit has almost gone, it's all body now

Thats probably because the majority of THC that was in the buds when you harvested, has now degraded/changed  to CBN which has more of a body effect, mine seems to be doing the same, the longer I cure it the less head buzz I seem to get. I have indica and sativa phenos of the same plant so it may be that I am using different buds on different weeks which have differing THC strengths, which is probably why I sometimes get no head buzz and sometime a little. Your body/head also gets used to the effects so you dont notice it as much. I am glad you are reaping the benefits of it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadey said:

Man that is a big silencer, I thought it was the filter when I first saw it. Will the air vent directly from the end of that silencer, straight into your loft space?

I doubt you will here anything except the fan solenoid click on when you have it all working. You may not need to vent into the attic as there will be no smell if the filter is doing its job well. If you are venting hot moist air into the attic you may accumulate frost up there in the winter and come spring a sudden thaw will release a lot of water, Lab found that out the hard way :( I know Scotland does not have the same prolonged below minus cold spells like Canada but be careful, you dont want to rot out the roof joists.

Thats probably because the majority of THC that was in the buds when you harvested, has now degraded/changed  to CBN which has more of a body effect, mine seems to be doing the same, the longer I cure it the less head buzz I seem to get. I have indica and sativa phenos of the same plant so it may be that I am using different buds on different weeks which have differing THC strengths, which is probably why I sometimes get no head buzz and sometime a little. Your body/head also gets used to the effects so you dont notice it as much. I am glad you are reaping the benefits of it anyway.

Shadey I never thought about the attic and condensation, will keep an eye on this, although I have a very small grow closet, interesting info re: THC degrading, I'm ok with that, although I began to like a bit of head stone just before bed.

I have just taken delivery of the extractor fan and the carbon filter, as well as 10mtrs of insulated trunking.

Shadey chk out the picture the size is not what I expected, it probably could run 5 times what I have :)  and remember there is a huge silencer to be attached.

Untitled.png

• Like 2

For the size of your closet its a bit overkill lOl, but should last you a long time. If that is 1000cfm on the side of the fan you will probably struggle to open the door with it on lmao. Its always better to get more than you need, as I said it puts less strain on the system. If you put that in your closet you wont have room for the plant lol. You can put just the filter in the closet and run duct to the fan intake and then duct from the outlet to the silencer. Make sure you connect it up for the right airflow direction. When I moved my tent I did it the wrong way, nearly blew all the seams out on the tent LOL. If it is 1000cfm you will definitely get good use from a speed controller and run it at minimum speed. My fan is rated 430cfm and I only run that at 1/2 speed in the summer and atm it runs every 20-30 minutes for about 1 minute on minimum as I can control the heat better in winter.

• Like 2

Unless it specifically states on the fan info that it can be used with a speed controller I doubt that it can.  Those squirrel-cage fans normally aren't wired to be able to be slowed down.

I took a look around the web and it turns out they can be speed controlled but they should have a specific type of controller.  I grabbed this off a site with good details about those fans.

" We recommend the using these duct fans in conjunction with coil-type fan speed controllers rather than purely digital versions which can generate acoustic resonance, leading to humming and buzzing noises. SMSCom hybrid controllers provide the quietness of coil-type controllers with the intelligent room control of digital units, and are available separately. "

Those hybrid controllers are a lot more money tho.

Curious as to why you just didn't get a typical inline fan for a lot cheaper and just put an insulated box around it to dampen any noise?  I'm sure you could have got just as quiet a result and put the extra money toward the light bill.  I'm looking to get a new fan myself and think I'm going to go with a good Vortex fan that's a bit larger than I need for around $250Can.  I've been using a DIY speed controller made with a ceiling fan controller but may look into the other types and maybe get a better one.  The cheap no-name one I have been using is starting to make noises like it's bearings are packing it in and cost around $100 but the Vortex comes with a 10 year warranty and has built in features to make it quieter.  Looks pretty cool too. :)  Noise isn't an issue for me tho.

:peace:

• Like 2

Just checked it out online, its 1000 cubic meters an HOUR which equates to 55 cubic feet a minute, which is still a little much for the size of the closet, so you may need a controller and with the size of that filter it shouldn't slow it down it to much either. The main factor for speed for you is how fast do you have to run it to keep the heat at the temps you want so I would run it for a while to see what speed it needs to be at to exhaust the heat to the right levels.

The only negative thing is you will be pumping all the heat in your house, out into the attic, through the passive intake into the closet, which could be costly knowing how much energy companies in the UK, charge their customers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LabRat said:

Unless it specifically states on the fan info that it can be used with a speed controller I doubt that it can.  Those squirrel-cage fans normally aren't wired to be able to be slowed down.

I took a look around the web and it turns out they can be speed controlled but they should have a specific type of controller.  I grabbed this off a site with good details about those fans.

" We recommend the using these duct fans in conjunction with coil-type fan speed controllers rather than purely digital versions which can generate acoustic resonance, leading to humming and buzzing noises. SMSCom hybrid controllers provide the quietness of coil-type controllers with the intelligent room control of digital units, and are available separately. "

Those hybrid controllers are a lot more money tho.

Curious as to why you just didn't get a typical inline fan for a lot cheaper and just put an insulated box around it to dampen any noise?  I'm sure you could have got just as quiet a result and put the extra money toward the light bill.  I'm looking to get a new fan myself and think I'm going to go with a good Vortex fan that's a bit larger than I need for around $250Can.  I've been using a DIY speed controller made with a ceiling fan controller but may look into the other types and maybe get a better one.  The cheap no-name one I have been using is starting to make noises like it's bearings are packing it in and cost around $100 but the Vortex comes with a 10 year warranty and has built in features to make it quieter.  Looks pretty cool too. :)  Noise isn't an issue for me tho.

Hi L/R, my squirrel fan I am using at the moment, is pretty quiet, but it has no force, tried to attach a carbon filter to it, and it stop working, it kept on turning, but did nothing.

so I had the idea that a squirrel fan is quiet, so this is what I bought, although I didn't bank on the size, it's fech-n huge :), but it is quiet, when I add the silencer it's almost silent.

I didn't give any thought to the controller, as the old squirrel fan runs ok with the controller I have, so thanx for the heads up, will have to look into this.

I to was thinking about the Vortex, they look the real deal, why is everything so complicated now-a-days ?after all it's only a fan .......

Thanx for looking into this for me, very good of you, the price of the controllers are frightning, I plan to add Co2 down the road, but at the moment just glad to kill the smell.

regards

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shadey said:

Just checked it out online, its 1000 cubic meters an HOUR which equates to 55 cubic feet a minute, which is pretty good for the size of the closet, dont think you will need a speed controller and with the size of the filter it shouldn't slow it down it to much either. The only negative thing is you will be pumping all the heat in your house, out into the attic, through the passive intake into the closet, which could be costly knowing how much energy companies in the UK, charge their customers. 

Hi Shadey, 1000cubic mtrs, 55 cubic feet, I have no idea :)

so boot it all up wait and see if I need a controller, that I can do.

Re: the air, I draw it from under the foundations, through the grow closet and out into the attic, this way it's cool air, even cold, but it keeps the temp down, however I must slow the extractor down when the light is off, so as not to chill the plant, nutes normally around 67f, grow room around the 77f. I have a fan mixing the air all the time.

many thanx for the interest.

• Like 2

Rather than a speed controller what you need is a Temp/RH controller so your fan won't come on at all if not needed during the night.  My incoming air is really cold in the winter and only around 62F even in the summer so if my fan stayed on at all it could get close to freezing in there.  They're pretty cheap and handy to have.

I was thinking 1000cm/h like it was 1000cfm but it still works out to 588cfm which is pretty high.  A regular 6" inline does 400-440cfm and I'd still want that slower for my space but once I build my addition I'd want most of it so that's why I want to get the 8" fan so I can run it slower and get the same performance.

1000CM/h / 60m/h = 16.667CM/m x 35.3 CF/CM = 588CFM  Can probably cut that near in half with the carbon filter and hose attached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

1000CM/h / 60m/h = 16.667CM/m x 35.3 CF/CM = 588CFM  Can probably cut that near in half with the carbon filter and hose attached.

where does that X35.3 come from?  :idk:

I figured that the cubic feet per minute would be 1000 meters per hour divided by 60 minutes = 16.6666666 cubic meters per minute x 100 centimeters = 1666.6666 cubic centimeters divided by 30.48  cubic centimeters or 1 cubic foot converts to 54.65 cubic feet per minute, which is not a lot, if that's right.

Temp controller would definitely help out inkbird on ebay Canada do some easy to use reasonably priced units, they may do a version for the UK, I have their temp and their Humidity controllers, I think the temp was $25 and the humidity was $45.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadey said:

where does that X35.3 come from?

From my Weights and Measures Engineering handbook. 1 cubic meter = 35.3144 cubic feet.  Never go smaller than the units you need to convert as you leave yourself open to more chance for error.  There's no need to go down to CCs.  So the 16.67 cubic meters/min x the 35.3 cubic feet in 1 cubic meter gives me 588cfm.

Even a little bathroom fan can move 100cfm so that big one has to do way better than 55.  That's what got me digging up the numbers to find out for sure.

I grew up with Imperial measure like you then had to learn metric when I did my chem courses so can use that pretty good but in my head have to convert everything back to Imperial to really grok what it means.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I grew up with Imperial measure like you then had to learn metric when I did my chem courses so can use that pretty good but in my head have to convert everything back to Imperial to really grok what it means.

Yes, thats what I do for working out my trucks gas consumption lol. I see what I did wrong, I worked it out as a distance, not a volume, and then just stuck cfm on the end lol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shadey said:

I think the temp was $25 and the humidity was $45.

I've seen the combination ones for less than $50 online.  Cost me more to make my own.

With one of those and a heater on a thermostat I can go days without even seeing my plants. :)

Maybe with Blumats I could go weeks.

8 hours ago, LabRat said:

I've seen the combination ones for less than $50 online.  Cost me more to make my own.

With one of those and a heater on a thermostat I can go days without even seeing my plants. :)

Maybe with Blumats I could go weeks.

Hi L/R, so can I assume, the extractor I bought will be ok ?

Shadey thanx for the heads up, on Amazon UK "Inkbird ITC-306UK" about £30, do I still have to add a speed controller ?

The extractor is 8" at the mo I use "DROK® AC 220V 4000W High Power SCR Electronic Voltage Regulator Governor Dimmer Thermostat Speed Controller " Amazon

bought this early summer last year, it runs the old squirrel fan I am using, but unsure if it will run the new one?

the old squirrel fan was built in 1974, for a colliery where I worked for a while (down pit) ... was in the skip because the case was dented, I took it, and kept it all those years, finally I found a use for it :)... wont throw it out, it has sentimental value.

Huge thanx to you both

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shadey said:

Yes, thats what I do for working out my trucks gas consumption lol. I see what I did wrong, I worked it out as a distance, not a volume, and then just stuck cfm on the end lol.

In my life time, the money was pennies and pounds, it changed to decimal, 240 pennys was a pound, now it's 100, I was a joiner, it was inches and feet, simple, now it's mm and cm, and I still convert back, I have better visual sense in the old ways.

I ran the fan in the kitchen with the filter stuck on, and I had to hold the silencer in place, but it was very quiet, even at full whack.

many thanx for your help,

• Like 2

Shadey thanx for the heads up, on Amazon UK "Inkbird ITC-306UK" about £30, do I still have to add a speed controller ?

I have both speed control and temp control, It allows fine tuning of the set up, and you dont have to switch things about, at lights on or off time, as the temp controller switches the fan on or off, for day/night running, when it needs to automatically, and the speed controller allows you to set it at a lower speed, for less noise and wear and tear of the fan, for the size of your closet.

If your closet is 3x3 ft by 6 ft high then you have 45 cubic feet of space, with your fan removing 588  cubic feet a minute at full speed less the reduction for the filter and ducting, Lab said possibly 50% that leaves you with 271.5 cubic feet a minute of air being removed. So your fan will roughly remove the air in the closet 6 times a minute, which is way more than you need for just CO2 replenishment, so really it only needs the speed to be adjusted for heat/humidity control, to get optimal growing temps..

Thats why my fan runs constantly in the summer, or when I have the ballast light on,  and once for a couple of minutes every 20-25 minutes in the winter, depending on room temps and if the ballast light is off.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, Shadey said:

I have both speed control and temp control, It allows fine tuning of the set up, and you dont have to switch things about, at lights on or off time, as the temp controller switches the fan on or off, for day/night running, when it needs to automatically, and the speed controller allows you to set it at a lower speed, for less noise and wear and tear of the fan, for the size of your closet.

If your closet is 3x3 ft by 6 ft high then you have 45 cubic feet of space, with your fan removing 588  cubic feet a minute at full speed less the reduction for the filter and ducting, Lab said possibly 50% that leaves you with 271.5 cubic feet a minute of air being removed. So your fan will roughly remove the air in the closet 6 times a minute, which is way more than you need for just CO2 replenishment, so really it only needs the speed to be adjusted for heat/humidity control, to get optimal growing temps..

Thats why my fan runs constantly in the summer, or when I have the ballast light on,  and once for a couple of minutes every 20-25 minutes in the winter, depending on room temps and if the ballast light is off.

Hi L/R & Shadey,

Have installed Carbon Filter in grow-room, Extractor fan, attached to Speed controller, and finally Silencer attached to Extractor fan, result it's dead quiet, running at around 50% or there a bouts, really no Idea how fast it's running, but my speed controller is perhaps a quarter on.

I'm on board with what you are both saying.

However, when lights out, and the thermostat tells the fan to stop, won't the plant suffer from lack Co2, as there is no exchange of air? or is this the time the plant produce oxygen ?

Also are your fans on a timer

My temps at the mo lights out, 63f = nutrients 73f grow room, but I have seen the grow room fall below 70f, not often but it happens.

I might add the the temp grow-room dictates the speed of the fan, I have no control over humidity.

Have trimmed my Plant it's now 2 wks into flower. pic attached.

Hope this finds you all in good health, and again many thanx

2nd feb 18 lollypop.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Magician, I am good thanks.

2 hours ago, Magician said:

However, when lights out, and the thermostat tells the fan to stop, won't the plant suffer from lack Co2, as there is no exchange of air? or is this the time the plant produce

oxygen ?

Your plants release oxygen after lights out so you dont have to worry about getting a regular amount of fresh air then other than for heat or humidity control. My fan is not connected to the timer, I run my fan on the heat controller during the day and switch to humidity at night as the temp drops when the lights go out and I find thats when the humidity climbs rapidly for me so I run the fan off the timer.

2 hours ago, Magician said:

My temps at the mo lights out, 63f = nutrients 73f grow room, but I have seen the grow room fall below 70f, not often but it happens.

I might add the the temp grow-room dictates the speed of the fan, I have no control over humidity.

Thats spot of the temp  fluctuations dont worry if it drops a couple extra degrees now and then it wont hurt, the temps will dictate how long the fan runs not the speed, the speed  controller does the speed ;) , when the fan is running during the day it will remove the humidity as well but not at night when lights are out, unless ambient temps are hotter than what I want, then I dont switch to the humidity controller and leave on heat.

Thats why its good to have both, sometimes as it is this morning, ambient temps are around 0 here but as its raining RH is way up, so I have left it on the humidity controller as that is bringing the fan on every 10-15 minutes which will also control he heat. Its a bit time consuming having to constantly be aware of temps and humidity, working out  which will cause the least stress everyday, but if you have the time its not a problem. Its just a pain when they are on 18/6, as I am not getting up at 6am after a crappy nights sleep, to switch it about lol, so thats when a dual controller is very handy.

The other problem is low humidity and high heat as the fan running a lot will reduce the humidity more which means the plants drink more and can pick up some nute burn or K deficiency as it will use more potassium regulating the water consumption. which is where the CO2 comes in handy as you can run at higher temps and let the humidity build up a bit more as the plants will transpire more water into their environment.

I am finding it easier to control my grow environment during winter, as it only seems heat is the issue and not humidity, except the odd day like today, I cant believe I am wishing it would drop to minus 5 out there, as that seems my optimum ambient temp, as I can leave the sliding window in the door open 4 inches, and everything runs near perfect lol.

Plant is looking great, are you going to drop that net on it now and start training the branches out a bit not that it really needs it as its almost filled out your closet but it will increase your budding sites on the plant and keep the canopy more level.

• Like 1