Grow_Wizzard

clone to clone to full grown plant 2017-2018

Ok I thought I would take you through my process through the winter time and some of my preparation for next season's grow. The bigger the plant you start out with the bigger your overall plant and yield, at least that is my opinion..... In my 2010 grow you will notice I laid down some rather tall lanky plants. They had stretched a lot but were good size plants.

300x300.jpg

These are the clones I took from last years grow. They are crosses of my T-Rex that I've been working with. TRC 1-4 and one of the last female standing.. Of these clones I had 3 that rooted and were re-potted.

300x300.jpg

This is TRC 1 from the first cross I laid down last year.

300x300.jpg

This is TRC 2 from the plants laid down last year.

300x300.jpg

This is TRC 4 from the plants laid down last year.

I've already taken a few clones off of each of these plants, I should have taken pictures before I took the clones. They were way bushier.

300x300.jpg

These are the clones taken off of TRC 1

300x300.jpg

These are the clones taken off of TRC 2

300x300.jpg

These are the clones taken off of TRC 4

I will be taking more clones and most likely growing the original clones out this season. If you want to see what the plants look like in flower go to my 2017 grow and look at the plants there.

I must put forward this disclaimer.... I'm an old skool grower, yes there are cloning machines that have 90% plus effective rate. I use my own methods.. No my percentages aren't near what those machines can do. But my plants live by the survival of the fittest principal. If it's strong enough to live and grow it will, if not it wasn't meant to be. No guarantee these cuttings will live. The ones that did are doing well for their conditions. Peace...

The old ways often work the best.  Hope you have a great summer this year!

:peace:

Hope it all goes well this year for you Wizard. Looking forward to seeing some huge dinosaurs in your garden :)

• Like 1

That's what I'm talking bout! Get it done Wiz...I'll be watching this thread. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LabRat said:

The old ways often work the best.  Hope you have a great summer this year!

That is definitely the plan, I've had some requests for some clones so some of those will be going away and grown by others. A couple are new to growing, one grew in the late 70's but hasn't grown since then so they will have a giant learning curve. I plan to help them where I can. Now that Cali is legal to grow 6 plants per house the market has increased a bit. people who didn't want to do it because it was still "illegal" are now willing to explore the possibilities. I'm hesitant to openly involve myself in the new "Legal" process. Then my name will be on a list I don't need it on...... I'll wait to see how all the things wash out... Peace... thanks for the Comment Lab...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shadey said:

Hope it all goes well this year for you Wizard. Looking forward to seeing some huge dinosaurs in your garden :)

Yea, me and that Fred Flintstone guy got the genetics... Grow that cave man weed.... hahahaha    Gotta find a way to keep the dinosaurs from eating it....hahaha.... Peace. Thanks for the comment Shadey....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GBuds said:

That's what I'm talking bout! Get it done Wiz...I'll be watching this thread. 

Thanks GBuds, hope to get a kick start for next year... Tried to do this last year but the cuttings didn't take and then I tried to pop a bunch of old beans and none popped. Already have a few beans popped to go along with these cuttings so it's looking promising for 2018...  I hope to get some monsters laid down my reserve stash is getting low from making a bunch of oil for people... If I can get 4-5 good sized plants I will probably go back to growing some small plants and focus on just the genetics... But we will see how the year goes... Peace...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grow_Wizzard said:

I'm hesitant to openly involve myself in the new "Legal" process. Then my name will be on a list I don't need it on...... I'll wait to see how all the things wash out...

Probably wise with the feds still hungry to punish people, even if its legal at state level, you never know what can happen.  Safe Growing.

• Like 1

Well with the Keebler elf...I mean Sessions in there. Never know what's next.

• Like 1

I decided it's time to update this thread.... Some of the original clones didn't make it.... Some live some don't that's how things work..... Most of the clones are still alive but I don't think they are rooted in just yet.... When I took the clones the weather was nice and over night lows were in the low 50's it has since cooled off and over night lows are in the 40's so even in the cabinet in the garage the low temps are still a bit low for cloning... But they are survivors.... Have a look.....

300x300.jpg

The two cups on the left are seeds that popped, the other 4 are the clones I took they don't look much different than when I took the cuttings...

300x300.jpg

The moms of the clones are getting as big as they were when the clones were taken...

300x300.jpg

Another seed that popped and still alive but not doing much... High temps in the closet are in the 80's lows in the 40's so as the low temps come up they should start to take off...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grow_Wizzard said:

High temps in the closet are in the 80's lows in the 40's so as the low temps come up they should start to take off...

At least you are getting some growth atm, how long before the nights warm up to the 60's where you are Wizzard?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 5:33 AM, Shadey said:

At least you are getting some growth atm, how long before the nights warm up to the 60's where you are Wizzard?

Shadey, Probably next month some time... We had a very warm February where we had some over night lows in the low 50's a lot of things thought spring was here and then the temps dropped we will be in the low 30's for a few weeks. But spring here is usually short before we hit the low 90's during the day and high 50's at night.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, Unregistered said:

Are you looking for anything in particular to come out of the breeding experiments?

I was given a cut of the clone only Mendo Purple which is the mother of most of the purple strains. A friend found a plant from seed that was a very close match to the clone only plant. He gave me a couple seeds from that cross and I back crossed it again with the best match. So that is the stabilized T-Rex strain I have been working with. Two years ago I was given some high CBD seeds and grew the 2 different strains.  I had a male from each high CBD strain with what I thought was a male T-Rex. The T-Rex ended up being a female and was heavily seeded. So I grew a bunch of those seeds last year. I found out only one of the strains actually tested high in CBD and that was an AC/DC cross. AC/DC is the sativa phenotype of the Cannatonic plant. One of the plants I grew had a high sativa expression, the others were high indica expression. I was able to get a cutting of that sativa phenotype and I also seeded a branch of that plant. I will grow some of those seeds and find another sativa expression and cross that with the cutting back crossing to the mother. I'm hoping to get a good balanced strain, hoping for 10+% THC and CBD so when I make oil it will be a good balanced oil... I still have to get that plant tested to see where it is...Thanks for the question..... Peace....

• Like 2

How much does it cost to get samples tested Wiz?  I'd like to get some done here to if I can but I think I need to get my permit to grow first.  The lab I know about wants $75 per sample for just THC/CBD levels but that's all I rally need to know at first.  Could add up with all the crosses I want to make with my CBD girl the Otto#1.  I don't even know how much CBD she has so I'm flying blind atm.

Just finished cropping and curing the CBD girls so next step is to make some cocobudder out of each and see how they work.  I have clones of all 3 so can keep going with the best.  Yields sucked but the plants had been abused and neglected their whole, too long, lives so I'll be seeing how they go in DWC if they ever root and start growing decently.

Hope you get good growing conditions this year!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grow_Wizzard said:

I was given a cut of the clone only Mendo Purple which is the mother of most of the purple strains....

Looking for another sativa simply because that is where the CBD was, or is the long'n'lean sativa vs. short'n'stocky indica thing factoring in?

14 hours ago, LabRat said:

How much does it cost to get samples tested Wiz?  I'd like to get some done here to if I can but I think I need to get my permit to grow first.  The lab I know about wants $75 per sample for just THC/CBD levels but that's all I rally need to know at first.  Could add up with all the crosses I want to make with my CBD girl the Otto#1.  I don't even know how much CBD she has so I'm flying blind atm.

Just finished cropping and curing the CBD girls so next step is to make some cocobudder out of each and see how they work.  I have clones of all 3 so can keep going with the best.  Yields sucked but the plants had been abused and neglected their whole, too long, lives so I'll be seeing how they go in DWC if they ever root and start growing decently.

Hope you get good growing conditions this year!

Lab, I checked last year and it was $35 to test a strain and they need about a gram to test. They said they could test the leaves as it's in veg and give you a pretty close to what the flowers would be..... But I will test the flowers to be sure.

Take care of those girls... Before too long monsatan will have GMO seeds flooding the market and then go after the growers who get accidentally pollinated like they did with corn farmers in the mid west...

I'm hoping for a decent year at least a couple 3+ pound plants...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unregistered said:

Looking for another sativa simply because that is where the CBD was, or is the long'n'lean sativa vs. short'n'stocky indica thing factoring in?

It's mainly because the CBD is higher in the sativa AC/DC plant so I am hoping to get a good balanced strain..  My method of growing is more suited to the sativa dominant crosses than the Indica crosses. I lay the plant down and root in the main stem and branches. So the plant grows horizontally not vertically.  But I've had some indica dominant strains do real well with my method.. The stiffer hollow stems of Indica don't like to root in as easy as the sativa dominant strains. 

• Like 2

Another update..... I was able to maintain the temps in the closet over winter by using incandescent lights and the real cold nights I had 2 incandescent lights going mainly for the heat not the light. I also have a couple spiral fluorescent in the closet too. I was able to get some decent growth for the last month or so.  Going to take some more clones and get ready to lay the plants down later this month. I know it's too early and they will start to flower if you lay them down too early.... That is the transition and they will do fine... By mid May they will be back into veg and explode from there... enough gabbing you want the pics......

This is T-Rex cross 2

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

T-Rex Cross 1

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

T-Rex Cross 4

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

I was gifted 3 clones, these will be laid down too..

Clone 1 Katatonic....

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Second clone Blue Dream

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Clone 3 is an unknown kush...

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Now onto the previous cuttings, they are still alive and green for the most part.. looks like they are just now rooting in as they are just starting to green up a bit from what they were doing.

TRC 4-1

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

TRC  4-2

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

TRC 2

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

TRC 1

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

T-Rex 4 seed plant

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

T-Rex seed plants

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Some fresh cups with seeds planted about 5 days ago...

300x300.jpg

Well that is where things are right now spring has sprung and we have some descent weather so it won't be long now before the official planting for the 2018 season... Peace,,

• Like 2

I wish spring had sprung here, They are starting to get some size on them, if they can keep it up you may get some monsters this year if the re veg does not mess them up for to long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadey said:

I wish spring had sprung here, They are starting to get some size on them, if they can keep it up you may get some monsters this year if the re veg does not mess them up for to long.

I expect the reveg and transplant shock to be a couple weeks.  My thinking is it's better to start a bit early and get a couple more weeks of veg even with the reveg and transplant shock. Than to put them out at the end of may when they won't revege but will have much less veg time... Plus that will help get rid of some of the issues dealing with growing in a cabinet. Once they get rooted in and adjusted they usually take off.  Already feeling good about this season...Peace...

• Like 2

Update time..... Last couple days were sunshine and mid 70's, over night lows are are in the high 40's soon to be low 50's F. I figured it's a good day to take some cuttings and lay a few of the taller plants down.... Now on to the pictures...

TRC4

300x300.jpg

She is already laid down she blends in well with the surrounding vegetation.

TRC 2

This one will go through the process I use to lay them down....

300x300.jpg

The plant in it's pot sitting in the bed, the top cover of the area to be planted is removed behind the plant

300x300.jpg

The hole for the root ball, flat across the top, deep enough for the whole root ball (all of the dirt from the pot) and tapering where the base of the plant will sit so the plant lays down at an angle the garden staples will hold the stalk and branches down.

300x300.jpg

The plant in the pot in the hole to give you an idea.

300x300.jpg

A close up for a better idea.

300x300.jpg

The root ball and plant laid down before the dirt is filled in over the top and under the base of the plant.

300x300.jpg

The plant laid down in it's bed with the garden staples holding the plant to the ground... As the plant adjusts to the new digs.... I will identify specific nodes to bury and root in.

Notice I replaced the leaves and straw across the base of the plant. As it get set I will fill in with straw to cover any dirt..... Always use some kind of mulch to keep the moisture in the soil and the microbiology active breaking down the mulch.

TRC 1

300x300.jpg

Plant in pot in it's bed...

300x300.jpg

The plant laid down before I put the leaves back over the base where she was laid down...

The cuttings I took off the plants

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

300x300.jpg

Well that's it for now... Stay tuned as the girls get settled into their beds and once they stop revegeing and move back into veg then into flower later in the season..... This is how you get the big flowers and yields... Peace...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grow_Wizzard said:

Last couple days were sunshine and mid 70's, over night lows are are in the high 40's soon to be low 50's F

No need to make all the Canadians sick with envy. Its like rubbing salt in a wound lol ;)

Wow what a difference in your clones for just 12 days, amazing what a bit of sunshine does for them, and your bigger plants are getting a good head start as well. I hope all goes well for you Wizard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We still have 3ft of snow on the ground here but melting fast.  Might put some autos in pots and stick them in my woods to see how they do.

About to flower the ones in my grow room.  Should have done that a while ago but they weren't doing so well but are really growing good since repotting.  Will be bending tops before they're done for sure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shadey said:

No need to make all the Canadians sick with envy. Its like rubbing salt in a wound lol ;)

Wow what a difference in your clones for just 12 days, amazing what a bit of sunshine does for them, and your bigger plants are getting a good head start as well. I hope all goes well for you Wizard.

Thanks Shadey, much appreciated... I think I have a good head start much better than last year.. I have some cuttings that should be rooted in soon and some new cuttings to replace any that don't make it. Plus the mom plants in the ground for more cuttings if needed. So i have females to pollinate.. Looking to replace my bulk, momma wizzard  just pulled out a bag out of the freezer the best flowers of 2010... Some killer smooth smoke of course I'm a 1 hit wonder....hahaha...

Thanks for the comment much appreciated... Sorry about making you jealous of our weather... I don't like the cold.... So if I move I will go south...hahaha

• Like 1