slimo

Advice for Newbie

I really know very little to nothing on this new stuff. I started these autos 10 days ago. As soon as the tap was long enough to get to the solution, I started. I know I have some nute burn so I mixed a weaker solution and am watching. These girls look really healthy to me as I am 60 and have never done nothing but Gorilla farming. My question is, is this type of curling normal or do I need to cut back some more. They will be 2 weeks old in 3 days. I'm doing the Gen Hydro Flora Series by their chart.

DSCN0886.JPG

DSCN0888.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

• Like 1

I am sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I thought I was still in other forum.

• Like 1

Hi Slimo welcome to CC. Youre doing hydro so I see no problem posting here bud. I am an organic dirt grower so know little about hydro or DWC other than the advised nutrient amounts in the instructions are always to high. Do you have a PPM meter? LabRat is the expert for this type of growing I expect he will be able to give you some good advice shortly. What is your humidity levels in the room like if its lo then you may need to cut back on the nutes as they will drink more. They look like they have the twisty low humidity dry look to the leaves but I have never seen a plant with leaves like that what is the strain?

• Like 1

These were left-overs from last year. The one with the widest leaves is Quarter Pounder  and the others are Colorado Cookies. Grow zone temp 77 degrees, reservoir 69 degrees and humidity usually 50 to 60%. I do have all the meters. PH stays about 6.1 and I'm running about 600ppm. I am using manufacturers feeding schedule (flora series).  

Cant really see any problems with your environment. Perhaps cut back on the nutes a bit 600 seems a bit high for 10 days old from posts I have read. Nice looking light is that an LED or Flouro?

• Like 1

High Slimo and welcome to CC!

Nice rig you have there.  Those COB LEDs on some sort of light mover system?

Your ppm seems a little on the high side but not by much as indicas are heavier feeders than the sativa dominants I usually grow.  With DWC I'll start the clones around 300ppm and by the time they look like yours will be up around 500.  I wouldn't go any higher than the 600 you are at now for a while and if you see the bit of burn getting worse would drain about 25% of your rez and replace with RO water if you use RO.  I recommend RO and I use AN pH Perfect nutes so I only change my nutes once per grow right after the stretch.  Never having to worry about pH is a big plus to me.

It often takes a little while for the plants to get used to their new home but it's the new growth that tells you how well they are taking it and you should be seeing lots of that real quick.

:peace:

• Like 1

That's the fluence spydr led. I like the 4 ft. footprint and they also say I can run it 6 in. above canopy. Right now I have it set at about 9 in.

3 minutes ago, slimo said:

That's the fluence spydr led. I like the 4 ft. footprint and they also say I can run it 6 in. above canopy. Right now I have it set at about 9 in.

I run older magnetic HIDs and probably will forever as I need the extra heat they give off in my cold basement.  I'm 63 and they will probably outlive me. :)

Have to go out for a while but will be back in a couple hours.

• Like 1

Thanks LabRat, I kinda figured the nute burn as I've seen it in my produce garden. I really didn't know what to do because the others are looking so good. The lights can be adjusted in and out but the manufacturer says putting them closer will increase par and I may have to start running co2. I do have rachet cable's for up and down.

Should read my stuff in my, Lab's Latest Efforts, thread in my signature for tips on how to make cheap CO2 tho you really don't need any while they are yet small.  Even just being in there with the plants for 10 min will boost up the CO2 a lot.  Keeping a kitty in a cage would help the plants but not the kitty. :D

• Like 1

Have a look now LabRat and Shadey. I'm really beginning to believe it's root rot. Hard to get roots out for inspection in this type set-up, they're tied up with other plants roots. What roots I can get to look fine as far as I can tell. There is 3 of them that has had this for 1 1/2 weeks and it doesn't appear to be spreading but it's not getting any better on these 3. Could it be genetics? This is my 1st time and this crop is mucho important. I don't have jars just sitting around waiting to be smoked. What would you do at this point? Oh yeah these things have stalks as big around as a nickel.

DSCN0902.JPG

DSCN0904.JPG

DSCN0903.JPG

Hi Slimo, thats not looking nice, I would take a newbee guess and say its a magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium deficiency will exhibit a yellowing (which may turn brown) and interveinal chlorosis beginning in the older leaves. The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins.

This can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar feed at ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.

If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.

Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don’t overdo Mg or you’ll lock up other nutrients.

Not being a hydro person it may be roots, hard to say if you cant see them though. Does the fluid in the bucket smell bad?

I know very very little about hydro but it looks like every time I tried to do it. I don't know if in was over or under feeding or if I was doing something to cause lockout....gonna have to turn this one over to Labby 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shadey said:

Hi Slimo, thats not looking nice, I would take a newbee guess and say its a magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium deficiency will exhibit a yellowing (which may turn brown) and interveinal chlorosis beginning in the older leaves. The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins.

This can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar feed at ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.

If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.

Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don’t overdo Mg or you’ll lock up other nutrients.

Not being a hydro person it may be roots, hard to say if you cant see them though. Does the fluid in the bucket smell bad?

I was just checking res. and it's clear as water with no odor or debri. I also use RO water. Sounds like a pretty good diagnosis on the mg. deficiency. It all starts at the tips of older leaves and works back. I'll try some salt tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

23 minutes ago, GBuds said:

I know very very little about hydro but it looks like every time I tried to do it. I don't know if in was over or under feeding or if I was doing something to cause lockout....gonna have to turn this one over to Labby 

Maybe he'll chime in later.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slimo said:

I was just checking res. and it's clear as water with no odor or debri.

If there was any problem with the roots they would be discolored and the res could be a bit stinky.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. Just a little over anxious beings this is the 1st time running this thing. I'm looking for great results and believe it will happen.

20 minutes ago, slimo said:

Just a little over anxious beings this is the 1st time running this thing.

First runs are always an anxious time, new equipment, different recipes, not sure what to expect, just take your time and double check everything, your environment when you originally posted, is dialed in if you keep it like that you should be good. Your ph might have drifted of course in the res, causing nute lockout if it is a mag problem, so if that and your temps, humidity, and ppm are good it all follows good.

If I have a problem I go back to checking the basics, if they are good, then I know I am either feeding to much or not enough. I made a mistake in my fist grow thinking that the PH of my water coming out of the filter would remain constant but as the filter got used more, the water got more acidic causing me a lot of problems, if they hadn't transgendered on me the may not have lived anyway lol. 

1 hour ago, GBuds said:

Is that an aero setup or NFT? 

GH Aero 18. Seems to me it would be great for growing clones. I had these particular auto's left from last year and thought I'd give it a go. I used to do everything outside so this is  new to me. My wife let me have the money so I decided to build this 10x10x8.5 building. I just received my last piece to really keep my environment dialed in. Got a mint in it but it will be well worth it. I'm 60 and would love to smoke some real top shelve reefer before I leave here. Last time I had really good bud was 2004 from a shop on commercial drive, st, or ave. in Vancouver  called da kine. That was a great trip.

You may want to check the hydroponics sub-forum. There was a fella called nuto that was an aero guru. I think he put some threads up about his methods. :pass:

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  Looks more to me like older leaves the plant doesn't want or need anymore than a deficiency.

Looks great everywhere else so I'd just pluck them off and keep an eye out for new ones  If it is any kind of deficiency the next leaves in line will start going the same way once the worst are removed.

Doing real nice so hopefully you'll be smoking some decent bud again soon and break that long dry spell. :pass:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LabRat said:

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  Looks more to me like older leaves the plant doesn't want or need anymore than a deficiency.

Looks great everywhere else so I'd just pluck them off and keep an eye out for new ones  If it is any kind of deficiency the next leaves in line will start going the same way once the worst are removed.

Doing real nice so hopefully you'll be smoking some decent bud again soon and break that long dry spell. :pass:

Thanks LabRat, I've been on top of this thing like a blanket. If I don't make it through this run my wife will kill me lol. Once again thanks to all.