HERDEE

A disinfection solution- Hydrogen Peroxide

I wouldn't use it as strong as they say in this video. Careful around and on the plants. A lot weaker if possible.This stuff is powerful.

• Like 1

Hi Fredy, welcome to CC, you can use water to reduce its strength. If you are using a DWC or Hydro set up you can use stronger amounts than in an organic soil where you are relying on the good bacteria/fungus to feed your plant.

Do you have anything growing atm?

Mixed with water and sugar, H2O2  is a great tool I recently added to my IPM schedule.  I noticed the vid mentioning peroxide is not an organic solution... what's that all about?   It's just water with an added oxygen molecule I presume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannasaurus Rex said:

I noticed the vid mentioning peroxide is not an organic solution... what's that all about? 

Not sure, as far as I know it is, what ratios of sugar, water and peroxide do you use, and is the sugar for the benefit of the soil microbiology?

• Like 1

I don't use very much, just six drops in a liter. I just use it to sterilize the surface medium periodically.

• Like 1

I normally use it on fresh soil, and do a drench to kill off as many fungus gnat eggs as I can, before getting the microbiology up and running

12 hours ago, Shadey said:

I normally use it on fresh soil, and do a drench to kill off as many fungus gnat eggs as I can, before getting the microbiology up and running

I've never heard of this before. Never really had much of a gnat problem to need to look it up though either. Wouldn't this wipe out a lot of the microbes too?

23 hours ago, Shadey said:

Not sure, as far as I know it is, what ratios of sugar, water and peroxide do you use, and is the sugar for the benefit of the soil microbiology?

Hi Shady  1 cup sugar 1 cup 3% peroxide in 1 gallon of water.  Sugar absorption by the mites messes up and possibly kills by osmosis, eggs are affected also.  I saw a Costa Rican gardener using a molasses mix outdoors on the ground a cpl years ago.  I figured sugars would attract and feed bugs like ants, but most small critters digestive systems go on overload and can't cope with the high concentrations.  When I used the mix (indoors) it was the last phase of ridding my area of the borg.  I battled on and off for a year or so, with soaps, entire room cleaning and bleaching.  I re-use organic soil mix, which I cycle outdoors as well, and the mites can be everywhere.  House plants are a great host for mites.   Anyway after getting things under control I came across this recipe (attributed to Jorge Cervantes) and gave it a whirl.   I have not sprayed squat in the bloom room since week 1 and no mites at week 8, so far no sign.  I will note that when I drenched the plants that I let the solution sit over the day and night.  When I checked the room the next day there was a candy coating on the leaf surfaces.   I thought the plants would wither and die from the crust, so I rinsed with water, which did very little to remove the rock candy coating.  To my surprise, the leaves never discoloured or withered at all, nor was there any clogging of stomata, as respiration and growth seemed unaffected.   Next time I will rinse from above, just  after application, as the coating freaked me out.   Sure beats the hell out of all the pepper/tobacco/essential oil mixes I see YUCK.   So I'm sticking with this mix, in addition to the rest of the program.  Some will object using refined table sugar in an organic set-up, not me, I feel its fine, its sugar.     No neem, or chemical sprays for me, but soaps, sulphur, DE, the above mix, and vigilance is all I use, the sugar/peroxide  has proven to be the final piece of the puzzle for me.

• Like 1

I don't drench the soil, just the plants, but they drip into the soil and the floor and spray goes everywhere.  Clean the walls and the floor right after application to avoid ant invasions.  On the ant /bug invasion,  we use a little trick when we vacation to the tropics.  Put a line of granular laundry detergent on the door stop area, Most critters will Not cross it and it helps clean the floor when mopped up.  So if your room door isn't light sealed (like my veg cabinet) sprinkle a little continuous pile from jamb to jamb, No crawleys will enter.  The hotel housekeeping staff loved this idea (on tiled floors), as they thought we were putting poison or cocaine (see poison LOL) on the ground ?????   Was a great chat about it though lol.  Cocaine....OMG    LMAO.    The gardener with the molasses mix was using a backpack sprayer, I didn't ask what ratio he was using, but I figured that would have to be rinsed thoroughly after he sprayed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GBuds said:

Wouldn't this wipe out a lot of the microbes too?

Unfortunately G it does affect the microbes, doesnt wipe them out though, affects the anaerobic more than aerobic. I supplement after with mycorrhizai and teas, to bring them back before planting in the soil.

25 minutes ago, Cannasaurus Rex said:

Hi Shady  1 cup sugar 1 cup 3% peroxide in 1 gallon of water.

I dont have a mite problem, thank god, only fungus gnats, but I will use it with my soil drench, I have organic cane sugar so I will use that, thanks. I was reading another growers post who advised using a top dressing of worm casts to get rid of fungus gnats so I will be trying that as well.

• Like 1

Having viewed the video again, and again, I used peroxide ONLY as a room disinfectant previously, but prefer bleach.  I'm sure all the hydro growers know and use peroxide regularly.  The video was a little folklorish with some of the sick plant remedy stuff falls into the same category as Epsom salt use claims,  which I can't stop laughing at.   Anyhow, I never use peroxide or bleach outdoors.  You can't wash disease, root rot or PM away, IMO.  Culling is the cure LOL.

• Like 1

Diatomaceous earth on dry soil works, but reapplication after watering is important. As with any powders like perlite, I always try to use a mask when applying, Pick up a surgical mask any time you go to a medical clinic, hospital, retirement home, they usually have a dispenser in the lobby, for free.(not counting or tax contribution of course lol).  Castings can make it worse if the castings are low quality, and already carrying bugs and eggs.  I've never had a problem with castings, but some guys, get all sorts of critter problems.

• Like 1

Hand down, without doubt, hypoaspis miles are the best defense for fungus gnats. Nobody wants to purchase them for some reason, but if you have healthy soil you will also likely have them. They naturally ramp up and also die off with the up and down of fungus gnats. The best thing that you can do, aside from getting those little beneficial bugs, is to be sure your plants are drying properly between watering. Fungus gnat larvae live in the top inch or two of the soil. Let that part dry between watering and you take away the living space needed for them. You can also let your next soil on hand dry out, which, unfortunately, kills other things in the soil but assures that there are no larvae or eggs in it when you need it for use.

• Like 2

Thanks Cannasaurus and GBuds for your input. It helps me continue to be a better gardener. That Shadey lives up to his name as an "old hand"

• Like 1

On 1/28/2018 at 11:32 AM, GBuds said:

Hand down, without doubt, hypoaspis miles are the best defense for fungus gnats. Nobody wants to purchase them for some reason

Probably the shipping costs, for me it was $25 for the hypoaspis miles and $85 shipping + taxes otherwise I would have bought a couple of million lol.

I recently started to use a small amount of organic cinnamon combined with the organic neem powder mixed in on the surface. I use a very weak solution of this when spraying the plants as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HERDEE said:

I recently started to use a small amount of organic cinnamon combined with the organic neem powder mixed in on the surface

I tried the cinnamon by itself on some old soil that was still producing gnats, I found it not much good to be honest, where do you get powdered neem, I can only get the oil which needs to be done every 3 days as it biodegrades so fast, just ends up making the soil too wet and gives the gnats more breeding time lol.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, HERDEE said:

Click on which one you want. I bought from Herbies Herbs last time. A pound was $16.67 but they get you on the shipping for $6.87

Missed this, thanks man, its appreciated.

You guys will love borax (pure soap). Better and cheaper and it kills ants when mixed with white sugar.  Kills all mold and spray it on and let it dry for long term disinfection as the dry powder prevents new bacterial and fungal growth.