JimmyJoeBob

Supplemental uvB lighting with HPS

Has anyone used supplemental uvB lighting during the last two weeks of flowering?  I have read positive results, and understand that it is not something to be used without caution.  I can only see one vendor that advertises that the light they sell is the ONLY one that has been "tuned" to work with HID lighting.  I've also read that you could also bring back the metal halide for the last two weeks of flowering to introduce more uv light. 

Any useful comments are greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been using a HPS light in conjunction with some home made LED lights using 3000K 5000K and4 x 28 watt full spectrum lights all equal to 450w for each bank x 2 with the HPS  running at 500w just switched it up to 750 w yesterday as the ambient temps are dropping. I would not have thought light manufacturers would bother trying to cover the UVB frequency in a light specifically, as there is very little in natural light to worry about and too much of a dose can damage the plant.

I am curious why it would have to be tuned with a HID to work. I would have thought a plant would act like a spectrometer and discern each spectrum as individual components within the blend just as we see colors.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be talking to my buddy that worked in a hydro shop for 6 years until recently about UV lighting for my flower chamber yet to be built.  He may even have the lights I need and I can get them for a deal.  I'm thinking of mounting one on each side of my open reflector so it can ride back and forth on the light rail with the 1000W Hortilux Super HPS.

I've heard that you can pump up resin production as the plant tries to protect itself from intense UV but not sure about how long it has to run each day or if it has to run all day in flowering.  Or which is best, UVA or UVB or a combo of both.

Got an insurance cheque for the death of my car and want to grab the lights now while I have a few bux to spare.  Need to get a car with that too.  A cheap 6" inline fan is needed too as mine is packing it in. :)

:peace:

• Upvote 1