Jump to content
Lovevrythingreen

Seedlings advice

Recommended Posts

So I germinated 6 beans and put them in general hydroponics starter plugs under a CFL about 4 inches away. 3 of the seeds broke the shell and sprouted without issue. However 2 of them have sprouted but still have the shell on them (see pic below). It has only been about 3 days should I wait and see if the shell falls off or take tweezers and remove it? Also when should I start adding nutes? I have advanced nutrients ph perfect 3 part. First time at it for me so I'm learning in the fly 

Screenshot_20171115-175622.thumb.png.9339a2de6f680d21582222a4a6aa2835.pngScreenshot_20171115-175617.thumb.png.fc01be2205451f4284bd5ad65bba1399.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

However 2 of them have sprouted but still have the shell on them

Hi Love, sounds like I am talking to the wife lol, Those plugs look a bit dry, when I had this problem I got a small artists paint brush and dipped it in water and dripped a couple of drips on it, to soften it up a bit, and then just kept getting the brush under the edge of the case and gently flicked it up, worked with one ok, the next I tried the cotyledons went brown on the end after a couple of days, but the plant was fine once it got its second pair of leaves. Just give it a soak and be gentle with her.

1 hour ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

First time at it for me so I'm learning in the fly 

You never do stop learning on the fly lol. Thats why I am becoming obsessed with growing, all the problems that need to be solved as cheaply as possible, I love challenges, its like a giant suduko puzzle but not numbers. Constantly looking to improve everything. Just throw me in the deep end lol. You gonna make mistakes every one does, getting advice and learning from others mistakes is smart, recognizing possible mistakes, before you make them is smarter, prevention is preferable to cure.

 

I try and create a routine/ sequence with the way I am doing things, it helps reduce mistakes when your old and your brain is fucked lol. its all procedures, once you know your procedure its easy to understand where you make mistakes. Same as driving a car, but this will take you a bit longer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I noticed the plugs were drying out quickly myself even though the tray has water and what it was is i didn't have the plug pushed all of the way down. So I'm hoping I solved that problem. I went ahead and carefully removed the shell on the one so they all look good except one that hasn't got rid of it's shell it's above ground but not opening up yet.

 

I try to stay organized and I have a notebook where I have been keeping track of important dates and noting what i do and when/why. 

 

How early do you start giving your seedlings nutes?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your soil, my soil is an organic just add water soil, really needs nothing added through vege , but I experiment with teas, so it was about 6 weeks and I gave them some organic tea with kelp meal to boost root development and micro flora in the soil and helps with shock when you up pot.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing a DWC setup so soiless. Once they have developed enough roots in the peat plugs they will be going into their net pots with hydroton. Thinking I need to add a small dose of nutes to the water soon. Guess that's a question for the hydro section 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know much about DWC, from what I read in LabRats posts dont use there recommended dose its way to strong. You will need nutes almost straight away if there is none in the plugs, after a few days. Here is a link to another thread which will probably answer a lot of your questions when you read through it. It was his first grow as well.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

So I germinated 6 beans and put them in general hydroponics starter plugs under a CFL about 4 inches away. 3 of the seeds broke the shell and sprouted without issue. However 2 of them have sprouted but still have the shell on them (see pic below). It has only been about 3 days should I wait and see if the shell falls off or take tweezers and remove it? Also when should I start adding nutes? I have advanced nutrients ph perfect 3 part. First time at it for me so I'm learning in the fly 

 

Still have shells on?  I had a lot of those my last grow when I put 76 seeds in dirt to sprout.  I use the tip of my little swiss army knife.  Slip the point between the little leaves with the blade edge pointed out.  Then just put the tip of a finger on the back of the shell so the stem doesn't move and gently wiggle the blade out toward the shell.  Easy-peasy need no tweezy. ;)

 

They need  nutes right away in rockwool or any soilless mix that has no nutes of it's own.  I'm sitting here transplanting my little sprouts into 1L pots and they are all watered in with the same nutes as you at 1.5ml/L of each. I put 1ml of Rhino Skin in the 4L milk jug first then the Micro.  Grow and Bloom can go in any order.  Gave them a 2.5ml CalMag and that's it.  3 Original Skunk and 2 BlueBerry from Crop King and 2 AK47 fems from CanukSeeds.  Should have been 3 each but 2 didn't come up.

 

:peace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I need to give them 1.5ml/L each of micro, grow, and bloom right away? I was wondering what other advances nutrients additives to use in addition to the GMB without buying them all. So far I just have the GMB and their final flush

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LabRat said:

 

Still have shells on?  I had a lot of those my last grow when I put 76 seeds in dirt to sprout.  I use the tip of my little swiss army knife.  Slip the point between the little leaves with the blade edge pointed out.  Then just put the tip of a finger on the back of the shell so the stem doesn't move and gently wiggle the blade out toward the shell.  Easy-peasy need no tweezy. ;)

 

They need  nutes right away in rockwool or any soilless mix that has no nutes of it's own.  I'm sitting here transplanting my little sprouts into 1L pots and they are all watered in with the same nutes as you at 1.5ml/L of each. I put 1ml of Rhino Skin in the 4L milk jug first then the Micro.  Grow and Bloom can go in any order.  Gave them a 2.5ml CalMag and that's it.  3 Original Skunk and 2 BlueBerry from Crop King and 2 AK47 fems from CanukSeeds.  Should have been 3 each but 2 didn't come up.

 

:peace:

 

Screenshot_20171116-080326.thumb.png.54eaac9763d08d59bce8c91a5029da2d.png

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats better, all nice and green with no silly hats on. If they start to stretch too much move your light closer, you said it was 4 inches away, you could go to 2 inches with a cfl, is it a small house bulb or a long shop tubular bulb?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Shadey said:

Thats better, all nice and green with no silly hats on. If they start to stretch too much move your light closer, you said it was 4 inches away, you could go to 2 inches with a cfl, is it a small house bulb or a long shop tubular bulb?

It's a 20wat or so t5 6400k. One of the small 2 foot tubular ones. I think when I get home today I'm going to give them a all dose of nutes and lower the light 2 inches because they seem to be stretching a little bit plus the plugs are pushed deeper in the tray and i measured to the top of the tray so the light is probably in actuality 5-6 inches away

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

So I need to give them 1.5ml/L each of micro, grow, and bloom right away? I was wondering what other advances nutrients additives to use in addition to the GMB without buying them all. So far I just have the GMB and their final flush

 

You don't really need any other supplements right now.  I wouldn't use that final flush stuff until the very end if at all.   Seen a few growers screw up their plants bad using it between changes.  Other than the 3 base nutes I use Rhino Skin for silica and Big Bud for a flowering booster.  I just have some Growtech CalMag and add a dash of Epsom Salts once in a while.  I got a free 500ml bottle of Bud Factor X that I'm going to use when I have clones from the same mom to use it on one and see if there's a difference.

 

You could even use just 1ml/L to get them going.  They need something to eat.

 

Once they are in the DWC don't change the nutes every week.  There's no need when they are small and you just throw away perfectly good nutes.  I check the ppm and add small amounts of each nute to either boost up the ppm as they get bigger or keep them at a specific level as they eat them down.  I only use RO water so if you are using tap water you'd want to change nutes once you have added back as much water as the system holds.  Minerals from tap water build up so if you start with 300ppm tap water you'll have 600ppm of minerals from the water once you need to change.  I usually only do one change after the stretch but have gone the whole grow without a change and the plants do fine.

 

You do have a ppm pen right?  If not, get one.  An essential tool for any hydro grow.  You can skip the pH pen but it is handy to have to check tap water if using that.  If using tap water then call your supplier for a water analysis report.  Should be free and tell them you're gonna brew beer or raise fish if they ask why you want a copy.  I got a copy in town sent to me in my email years back for nothing.  My water here comes from my dugout and is not suitable for growing with.  Or drinking.

 

:peace:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LabRat said:

 

You don't really need any other supplements right now.  I wouldn't use that final flush stuff until the very end if at all.   Seen a few growers screw up their plants bad using it between changes.  Other than the 3 base nutes I use Rhino Skin for silica and Big Bud for a flowering booster.  I just have some Growtech CalMag and add a dash of Epsom Salts once in a while.  I got a free 500ml bottle of Bud Factor X that I'm going to use when I have clones from the same mom to use it on one and see if there's a difference.

 

You could even use just 1ml/L to get them going.  They need something to eat.

 

Once they are in the DWC don't change the nutes every week.  There's no need when they are small and you just throw away perfectly good nutes.  I check the ppm and add small amounts of each nute to either boost up the ppm as they get bigger or keep them at a specific level as they eat them down.  I only use RO water so if you are using tap water you'd want to change nutes once you have added back as much water as the system holds.  Minerals from tap water build up so if you start with 300ppm tap water you'll have 600ppm of minerals from the water once you need to change.  I usually only do one change after the stretch but have gone the whole grow without a change and the plants do fine.

 

You do have a ppm pen right?  If not, get one.  An essential tool for any hydro grow.  You can skip the pH pen but it is handy to have to check tap water if using that.  If using tap water then call your supplier for a water analysis report.  Should be free and tell them you're gonna brew beer or raise fish if they ask why you want a copy.  I got a copy in town sent to me in my email years back for nothing.  My water here comes from my dugout and is not suitable for growing with.  Or drinking.

 

:peace:

 

I only planned on using the flush for the final flush. I do have a ph pen and tds meter my tap water measured at 42 ppm and the distilled water I bought at 95 ppm,thinking it's going to be Not only cheaper but better to use my tap water.

 

 Rhino skin and bud candy seemed to be the main ones I've been hearing and thinking about purchasing 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Distilled water should be Zero.  The stuff I get at the drug store for making colloidal silver with reads zero on the new ppm pen I bought just for that purpose as my old Hanna pen only reads X10 and the new one does X1.

 

42ppm for tap water is damn good.  What's it's pH?  Still good to get a water report so you can tell what's in it.  The RO water we buy lots of jugs of is usually below 10ppm.

 

I wouldn't bother with the Bud Candy.  It's just expensive sugar and is more for feeding the microbes in soil grows.  Can cause stuff to bloom in your nutes with hydro systems and screw everything up royally.  Get some RS and feed 1/4 dose.  Goes bad after a year or so so just get a 250ml jug.  I hate not having Big Bud and highly recommend that!  I buy the powdered one as it lasts for years.  I got a 500g can last year for $80 but you can get much smaller ones to try out.  I add that and bloom nutes a week before flipping to 12/12 to "prime the pump". Get buds popping out in a week.  A few guys swear by the Bud Factor X so looking forward to finding out for myself.

 

Don't bother with OverDrive.  It's nothing but very expensive magnesium and I've used it many times for no noticeable increase in resin.  Got a 2nd liter for half price a couple years ago but should have had a couple beers instead.

 

:peace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LabRat said:

Distilled water should be Zero.  The stuff I get at the drug store for making colloidal silver with reads zero on the new ppm pen I bought just for that purpose as my old Hanna pen only reads X10 and the new one does X1.

 

42ppm for tap water is damn good.  What's it's pH?  Still good to get a water report so you can tell what's in it.  The RO water we buy lots of jugs of is usually below 10ppm.

 

I wouldn't bother with the Bud Candy.  It's just expensive sugar and is more for feeding the microbes in soil grows.  Can cause stuff to bloom in your nutes with hydro systems and screw everything up royally.  Get some RS and feed 1/4 dose.  Goes bad after a year or so so just get a 250ml jug.  I hate not having Big Bud and highly recommend that!  I buy the powdered one as it lasts for years.  I got a 500g can last year for $80 but you can get much smaller ones to try out.  I add that and bloom nutes a week before flipping to 12/12 to "prime the pump". Get buds popping out in a week.  A few guys swear by the Bud Factor X so looking forward to finding out for myself.

 

Don't bother with OverDrive.  It's nothing but very expensive magnesium and I've used it many times for no noticeable increase in resin.  Got a 2nd liter for half price a couple years ago but should have had a couple beers instead.

 

:peace:

I misspoke, the 95 ppm was spring water. I got some purified distilled water at 0ppm and added 1ml/L of micro grow bloom. Tested at 200 ppm. One still has the shell on it and I tried everything to get it off but it is just barely cracked open. Time will tell I guess what happens with that. Temps are steady at 72°  and rh at 45-50% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

Temps are steady at 72°  and rh at 45-50% 

you got it cracked, just keep it like that until you want to flower, they will grow fast if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2017 at 11:33 PM, Shadey said:

you got it cracked, just keep it like that until you want to flower, they will grow fast if you can.

Going to get the new and hopefully better carbon scrubber set up today along with my 400w MH and get them transferred into their final dwc setup so they can really start. I got some rhino skin, calmag, and big bud like labrat recommended. 

 

So far early on the Tangerine dream, cookies kush, and pineapple chunk seem to be very vigorous plants and are outperforming the others.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you are all set. Are all those plants the same pheno types or are they a mix of sativa and indica crosses?

I just looked, you going to have 6 plants in a 3x3 ft tent in DWC with a scrog. I think you may regret that lol. You probably would only need one plant when they get going in DWC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Shadey said:

Sounds like you are all set. Are all those plants the same pheno types or are they a mix of sativa and indica crosses?

I just looked, you going to have 6 plants in a 3x3 ft tent in DWC with a scrog. I think you may regret that lol. You probably would only need one plant when they get going in DWC.

 

Yeah I wanted to try a few different strains to see which I like most. They are all either full indica or 70-80% indica dominant with very close flowering times. I'm going for more of a SOG but I learn best from trial and error so we will see what happens lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeh well you should get a lot of choice from all of them, just wont be a lot of each. At least they all flower fairly close together. I have 2 candida in scrog and one is Indica dominant, the other Sativa which takes 3 weeks longer to flower out :( I learned for next time, grow the same phenos at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×