Waldo420

leaf shape of strains

Where is the best website or forum to find photos of plant structure and leaf formation to identify strains. Looking at photos of manicured buds to identify strains is sometimess not very heapful. Thank you in advanced.

• Like 1

Hi Waldo, welcome to CC. where are you? sorry couldnt resist my inner child lol. I am not sure any forums keep that kind of info from the ones I have been on. I usually just google a particular strain if I want to see what it looks like. I think the online seed sellers will probably be the best places to find lots of plants in one place. The problem is every time something is crossed it will change its leaf structure depending on whether an indica or sativa has been used and the phenos they exhibit.

• Like 1

I don't know if there is a "best" website for what you look for, but if you want to be able to choose your genetics regarding its structure, then I suggest you get closer to the main caracteristics of each big family strain. For example, all the Skunks have the reputation to be very smelly and easy to grow because it's a solid genetic.

So if you want an Indica, hybrid or Sativa, you'll narrow the scope by selecting the best in each family, then you do this selection for all the caracteristics you want in your plant, and you'll get it! Here in Europe, many people grow Critical and all the genetics coming from this one, because it fits perfectly the weather and humidity conditions, but because we dont have a tropical climate, we can't grow a lot of Sativa because the winter is too cold to assure you a good production with a 13 weeks flowering stage! 

I'm sure the diversity and unicity of Australia's climate might allow few incredible genetics to grow, and I wish I could try them! :) 

I don't know if I helped a lot with my answer, if not, be more precise and I'll do my best to help!

Santé!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waldo420 said:

Australia

LOL, your not supposed to tell me, I have to find you. You obviously dont get the "Where's Waldo" in OZ. This is what I am talking about.

This is you Waldo with a little photo shop editing.

waldo joint.jpg

Now you have to find yourself on Bondi Beach. There are thousands of Wheres Waldo pictures from all around the world.

waldo.jpg

• Like 1

@EiffelSmoker thanks for your reply. The reason I'm looking for a Cannabis photo library of actual plants, leaf shape and structure and bud photos are because in Australia All the old school growers and hobby farmers don't really know what type they're growing. They call their stuff either (bush) if it's grown outside or indoor if it's grown indoor. They might get real imaginative and call their cannabis  (purple) if the buds turn out purple. When you ask someone what breed they have to smoke they just shrug their shoulders with a confused look on their face. Only a small few who have ordered seeds from seed banks who know what they're growing then once they sell it to a dealer, the dealer doesn't really seem interested in remembering what strain it is. So long story short in Australia we have shit loads of random 100% Sativas and shit loads of random hybrids and a few indicas that no one has a clue what strain they're. Pretty much once or if Cannabis ever becomes legal here in Australia we will have to start from scratch with names of strains. It's actually quite sad state of affairs. Don't get me wrong we have some epic strong Cannabis to choose from just no one cares what is called. This is why I want to find a website with detail photos of ALL the plant so I can see which of our strains match or come close to whats in Europe and the USA.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Waldo420 said:

I get it, I grew up with where's Waldo as a kid. I didn't realize we were playing lol. I had probably every wheres Waldo book as a kid.

I thought you must have, you dont see many people using Waldo as a pseudonym who haven't seen the books. My humor is sometimes a little vague lol. They should do a wheres Waldo 420 lol.

5 hours ago, Waldo420 said:

So long story short in Australia we have shit loads of random 100% Sativas and shit loads of random hybrids and a few indicas that no one has a clue what strain they're.

Thats strange, If your smoking it, so long as it works you probably dont care what its called, until you want to some more of the same kind, but you would think growers would be more interested in its pheno type and characteristics. I think you will struggle trying to identify something from pictures of its leaves and buds, even if you know what it should smell like as well. Its a bit like that in the UK, people mostly only had hash, which would be Afghani black and Moroccan, weed was usually home grown and no body knew what it was, I certainly didnt when I was growing it, nor did I care either lol now I think about it. Occasionally someone might get a bit of Thai stick but that was it. I used to get seeds from a buddy who as an airline pilot, who would keep them from the weed he bought around the planet, he was doing long haul to OZ for a couple of years now I am starting to think about it.

With all the different phenotypes existing for a single strain, you'll have a lot of dificulties to find valid criterias to rely on, as well as no chances at all... 

Because it also depends of the grower itself, but also the climate parameters that can change the face of a plant. 

The only way to make sure about what you smoke is to experience it enough to be able to dissociate taste/effect components in a strain to determine which one it is. But this is almost impossible because more than 15000 species exist ... 

From my experience, after more than 10 years smoking, I can diferenciate maybe 3 or 4 strains without doubt, where I might have tried more than 80! 

• Upvote 1