Lovevrythingreen

Light advice

I have a 3x3x6' tent setup and I am finally set up and ready to buy a light. I'm wondering what you guys think would be best. I'm using DWC in storage bins that are about 15" tall.

I was looking at this Spectrum king 400wat led but it says to keep 24" from plants so I'm worried I wouldn't have much grow space so I'm kind of leaning towards a 600wat HPS but I don't really have space for an air cooled vent so I'm worried about heat in the summer months.

Any input on what lights you guys use would be great. Money is a factor but not a huge one. Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm always going to vote for the HID lights but I don't have heat issues other than I need the heat so they work great for me.

With a 3x3 tent a 400W would be enough.  With lots of air blowing around in there or a CoolTube type reflector you can be 8 - 12" over the canopy.  Don't get one of those box-type cooled reflectors as they would cast too small a footprint.

A big concern with DWC is nute temps.  If you can't keep them below 70F you up your chances of root rot.  I've done around 50 of those in Rubbermaid tubs and tho I had temps higher than that years back and didn't get rot.  The first few years I never even knew about checking the temp so my guardian angel must have been looking out for me. :)

:peace:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

I have a 3x3x6' tent setup and I am finally set up and ready to buy a light. I'm wondering what you guys think would be best. I'm using DWC in storage bins that are about 15" tall.

I was looking at this Spectrum king 400wat led but it says to keep 24" from plants

So basically you only have 3 ft of height for the plants to grow. Your best bet is to use a scrog which will give you maximum yield and you can control the height. You probably could get the LED closer than 24 inches but need to watch for leaf bleaching. If heat is going to be your biggest problem then you should go with the LED. The chart below is a general indicator for HPS lights and @ 600 w you can get another 10 inches of growth height.

Grow Light Closest ~ Sunlight Furthest

400W 12" (30cm) 14" (35cm) 19" (48cm)
600W 14" (35cm) 16" (41cm) 25" (64cm)
1000W 16" (41cm) 22" (55cm) 31" (79c
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

I'm always going to vote for the HID lights but I don't have heat issues other than I need the heat so they work great for me.

With a 3x3 tent a 400W would be enough.  With lots of air blowing around in there or a CoolTube type reflector you can be 8 - 12" over the canopy.  Don't get one of those box-type cooled reflectors as they would cast too small a footprint.

A big concern with DWC is nute temps.  If you can't keep them below 70F you up your chances of root rot.  I've done around 50 of those in Rubbermaid tubs and tho I had temps higher than that years back and didn't get rot.  The first few years I never even knew about checking the temp so my guardian angel must have been looking out for me. :)

:peace:

Winters pretty cold here so nute temps shouldn't be an issue until possibly summer and I was thinking about investing in a chiller by then

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shadey said:

So basically you only have 3 ft of height for the plants to grow. Your best bet is to use a scrog which will give you maximum yield and you can control the height. You probably could get the LED closer than 24 inches but need to watch for leaf bleaching. If heat is going to be your biggest problem then you should go with the LED. The chart below is a general indicator for HPS lights and @ 600 w you can get another 10 inches of growth height.

Grow Light Closest ~ Sunlight Furthest

400W 12" (30cm) 14" (35cm) 19" (48cm)
600W 14" (35cm) 16" (41cm) 25" (64cm)
1000W 16" (41cm) 22" (55cm) 31" (79c

I'm going for a scrog, right now I have 6 4" net pots set up. Next run Im going to add another tub. I think for height issues alone I'm going to go with a 400 or 600w so I can get a solid 4 feet  of growth. Is 600 overkill for a 3x3? I thought about getting a dimmable ballast but most everything I've read says only to run the bulbs at full strength or you compromise the longevity of the bulb. Sorry for the vague questions just trying to do my due diligence and choose what's best for my setup. I'm looking for quality or quantity also

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

I thought about getting a dimmable ballast but most everything I've read says only to run the bulbs at full strength or you compromise the longevity of the bulb.

I did not know that, I have a 4x4 tent and I have just ordered a 1000w dimable and was going to run it at 500 or 750 so thats a bit disappointing.

12 minutes ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

Is 600 overkill for a 3x3?

not over kill but right on the limits. as lab said you could do it with 400, your heat will be higher with 600, I will be going into a bigger room for the summer which is why I ordered a 1000w.

we were just discussing a vertical scrog grow set up in the short bus for my tent something for you to consider for maxing out grow surface area.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Shadey said:

I did not know that, I have a 4x4 tent and I have just ordered a 1000w dimable and was going to run it at 500 or 750 so thats a bit disappointing.

not over kill but right on the limits. as lab said you could do it with 400, your heat will be higher with 600, I will be going into a bigger room for the summer which is why I ordered a 1000w.

we were just discussing a vertical scrog grow set up in the short bus for my tent something for you to consider for maxing out grow surface area.

I could be wrong about the dimmable ballast as im still as green as they come but I would look more into it. I think I'm going to start with a 400w and just keep it simple for my first grow or 2 and then if I'm not happy with results go with something different. because I'm worried about height because I'm going to have 3-3.5 feet tall total of grow space after I take in account the depth of the light and distance away from the canopy so Im thinking 400w will be best suitable for my space until i can upgrade.

Is it worth going with MH for veg and HPS for bloom or just rock HPS all the way through?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

Is it worth going with MH for veg and HPS for bloom or just rock HPS all the way through?

You can do it all with MH, but you get the best results using both. Its probably better starting lower down the wattage you can add extra lights but if you go to big with a non dimable you may not be able to keep your DWC water container cool enough as Lab said. Then you have to start thinking about air conditioning.

• Upvote 1

You want both so get a switchable ballast.  I just got a 1000W one used for $70.  Magnetic ballast and not some cheap digital one that will die in a year or too.  If you go digital don't go cheap.  Can hang the ballast outside the tent to save a little on heat.

Those 315W Ceramic ones are pretty good but the ones with the built-in hoods have a small footprint too.

15 hours ago, Lovevrythingreen said:

I thought about getting a dimmable ballast but most everything I've read says only to run the bulbs at full strength or you compromise the longevity of the bulb

I have been checking into this today, and you are right for some of it. If you use a 1000w dimable ballast and 1000w MH, HID bulb and reduce the power, it will reduce the longevity of the bulb quickly. Not so for HPS bulbs which tolerate the lower watts without it affecting the gasses inside the bulb. The recommendation is if you reduce the wattage to 750-600-500-400 watts get the correct wattage bulb for the setting on the ballast you are using to get maximum efficiency. I wont be using it for veg,  I will be using only the HPS bulbs so I shall see what heat my set up can deal with on various settings and get the correct bulbs accordingly. Thanks for the advice.

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2017 at 9:10 PM, Lovevrythingreen said:

Is 600 overkill for a 3x3?

Just thought I would let you know that I am now running my ballast light @ 600w HPS in my 4'x4' wide x 6.5' high tent and its sitting at 84.4 F constant with the ballast outside of the tent. Ambient room temps are @ 70F and the exhaust fan is running in the tent every 6-7 minutes on lowest setting for 2 minutes at a time roughly, being triggered by the humidity sensor keeping it around 60% RH. So come summer time that temp will get a lot worse in the tent probably by 10-15 F, I am east coast Canada so our climates are similar, yours may be a bit hotter. You may need aircon in the summer if you don't use an LED light. This light will move into a 9'X8' wide x 8' high room in the spring so I am not concerned for myself, but you said it was one of the things you were worried about, so I thought I would give you a heads up at what you can possibly expect. I suggest using the 400W ballast not 600w.

Ok adding to what I wrote yesterday, I ran my new light @ 750W for 90 minutes this morning and the temps raised to 94F :( so I shut it down for 30 minutes and then re set back to 500w and added 2 banks of 7 LEDs @ 84 real Watts for each bank, equivalent to 900w @ 65w each light. temps are sitting @ 87 constant, extraction fan is running every 20 minutes for 2 minutes as humidity is low today. 

So I would say if you want to max your light in a confined space, and money is not a big issue go for the LED  light, you will increase your yield due to higher amounts of light and still keep the tent much cooler and negate any problems that arise from to much heat especially in the budding phase.

The quality LED I wanted were just too expensive for me and the recommend height away from the plants only left me like 2 feet of vertical grow space.

I ended up purchasing a dimmable 400watt ballast although I will probably only keep it at 400, and I bought a straight 6 cool tube. I have seedlings under a CFL right now so I'll be reporting on the temps in a few days once I get it set up

Good luck, I am having to change everything about to get my temps down, probably for the better as it will be a more efficient cooling system.