LabRat

Lab's latest efforts

Been a while but things are still going on.

Got 5 Critical Mass cuttings from my buddy in the city and a 25 pack of neoprene inserts and built a DWC style cloner to root them in.  Laid out all the inserts on the lid and used a 4" nail to poke down the centers to mark the spots to drill holes with a 5/8" wood drill.  Then I used my alcohol lamp to slightly melt the edges of the holes so roots won't snag when pulling the clones out.  Day 3 now and no roots yet but the cuttings still look fine.  Temps got low because I forgot to close the window in the bedroom at light's out but I've rooted fine at 65F and it just takes longer.  Water temp is 71F right now with the RH around 55.

Cloner1701182.jpg

Cloner1701181.jpg

Only 5 cuts in there so I may have gone overboard with the 21 holes I put in the lid. :)

Cloner1701184.jpg

Have a nice cover off a cake from the store that fits loosely on the little tub and makes a decent humidity dome.  A thermometer down the center into the water lets me know it's temp.  Got rid of the 30Something girl.  Frigging mite magnet and just not worth the effort IMO.  Being as how it's genetics are totally unknown I don't want to wast time or space with it.  Now just have the OG#18 as a bigger plant and will take cuttings off it for DWC.  The Blueberries are the fastest and strongest with both the AK and Original Skunk being slow.

Most of my cuttings from the CBD girls are well rooted and waiting for a DWC tub.  They're on the right and being fed lightly to keep them healthy until they get new homes.  None of the OG or sativa cuts rooted.  Still got some mites floating around so as soon as I can get some more bug spray I'll go hard on getting rid of them.  No sign of thrips.

Group21011802.jpg

The CBD GoldFish are looking almost done but the OttO#1 is still putting out lots of white hairs but very tiny buds compared to the GF.  40 days since the flip on DEC. 12.  Just want them out of there so I can pup to 6 DWC tubs in there while I build the new room.  Got rooted clones so can just do whatever I want once they're gone.  Couple more weeks I guess.

These are the Otto#1 budz.  Just pathetic lol but didn't expect much in the way of yield.  Good breeding stock to make my crosses with tho.

Otto21011808.jpg

Some of the GoldFish budz.  Bigger but will be lucky to get an oz off each plant I figure.  Rough ride for all of them and hope to get better results in DWC.

GFgirls21011801.jpg

We shall see.

:peace:

• Like 3

I like that cloner! I made most of mine with 1.5" holes. I did make one with 7/8" holes because I couldn't find my bigger drill bit. I had troubles with that one when I let roots get too big. I'm getting ready to build some smaller cloners. I'm going to try a 1.25" drill bit this time and make 1.5" covers/plugs to hold the cuts. 

This is the old lid I made a dozen years ago but the cuts just fell over and barely 50% rooted so I've always done my cuts in finely screened promix in those 9-hole seed starter pots and get almost 100% rooted.  I've also used tiny cuttings but once they root they grow just as well as larger ones.  It's the genetics that count.

I sliced slots between groups of holes so I can get the rooted cuts out without ripping off the roots.  Hoping the new top will work a lot better but as it's the first try who knows. :)

CloningTubLid.jpg

My buddy uses the same system with just tap water to supply clones to commercial growers.  Keeps a few big mothers in an 8x4 grow tent and has two tubs for rooting the cuts.  Gets $15 each for the clones but has a bug problem going on.  House is full of all sorts of plants and he's working hard on cleaning up his act.  The 5 ones I just got seem to be clean but I still have some mites in the older plants so could get infected yet.

Gotta get myself bug free ASAP.  I just won't spray anything on flowering plants so got to clean up the vegging ones now.

I was gonna ask in shout but figured if I asked here others will also benefit from our conversation. I'm curious to know if you're pH'ing your cloner. I'm also curious to know if you used any cloning gel or root hormone at all. I really like the idea of having a thermometer in the water. I think I want to buy a little aquarium thermometer or even those strips that you put on the outside of a fish tank would give a person a better idea of what's going on in there.

• Like 1

Plants look way better than before. looking at the current setup, I guess you will yield better output. Good luck mate.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2018 at 3:34 AM, GBuds said:

I was gonna ask in shout but figured if I asked here others will also benefit from our conversation. I'm curious to know if you're pH'ing your cloner. I'm also curious to know if you used any cloning gel or root hormone at all. I really like the idea of having a thermometer in the water. I think I want to buy a little aquarium thermometer or even those strips that you put on the outside of a fish tank would give a person a better idea of what's going on in there.

Sorry I missed that but haven't updated for a while.

No gels or root hormones.  How do you make a whore moan.  Don't pay her. ;)

I just used RO water with a shot of peroxide and 2mls each of my 3-part.  About 7L in there.   I scraped the last inch of the stem but they just went black and the roots emerged from the untouched part of the stem above that.  4 out of the 5 rooted and I just put 3 of them in a DWC tonight.  Pics coming next.  Going to be loading it up with cuttings from my other plants in the next day or so.  Just going to cut them off the plant and stick them in after cleaning it and reloading.  I put one of those clones in a pot of promix almost 2 weeks ago and it's growing good.

They have those stick on thermometers they use for beer and wine making which are probably the same thing you mentioned.  I got one in my desk drawer somewhere so should stick it on and see how it reads compared to that lab thermometer which my wife has commandeered for her incubator.  She's got 99 eggs in the damn thing right now.  Getting a bit of a market for chicks and sure pays better than just selling eggs.

• Like 1

Set up the bare frame from the 8x4 tent to give me more space in the bedroom and lots of places to hang stuff without damaging the ceiling with hooks etc.

Group11021803.jpg

One of the Critical Mass clones was potted and is doing well with the other four still in the cloner and a couple of them starting to root.  4 eventually did but the the fifth looks like it won't make it.  All of the stems went black where I had scraped them and the roots emerged above the scraped portions so won't be scraping them any more.

CriticalMass11021801.jpg

Cloner01.jpg

I'll be cleaning out the cloner and loading it up with cuttings from some of the other plants.  I got rid of the Original Skunk as they were spindly and weak as hell.  The 3 Blueberries aren't impressing me much either.  Even after topping they don't grow out side branches worth a crap and are tall and stretchy not bushy like BB should be unless I got that wrong.  First time growing a pure BB.  The AK47 aren't impressing me either as they seem pretty lank and lean instead of bushy and strong.

I put a garbage bag over the 30Something sativa girl about 3 weeks ago and stuck it in the basement.  Talk about a mite magnet!  Sprayed the crap out of her and just couldn't get rid of those bugs so decided to toss her out.  Unknown genetics so didn't want to waste any more time on her.  When I took the bag off after 3 weeks in the dark, cold basement the tops looked great and I now wish I'd taken a few cuttings just in case she turned out to be the bomb but she's gone now.  Got out the big Fiskars and lopped her off.

One of the Original Skunk on the right and a couple of older plants from my last harvest went too.

SativaChop.jpg

• Like 1

I bet you are wishing you didnt take them off your buddys hands now. They seemed to be more trouble than they were worth. The critical mass is a nice stocky looking clone though.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a happy camper.  Been a few days and not seeing much root development yet.

Heavy doses of peroxide seems to be keeping them nice and white but they're not sprouting out like they should like past ones have.

CriticalMassDWC16021809.jpg

The greener ones at the top are the Goldfish 'B'.  Smoking some or both now and the 'B' seems to 'B' the best so far.

6 dead holes filled with balls to to block light.  I put the pots in baggies and fill them with balls.

CBDGirls16021815.jpg

CriticalMassDWC16021813.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

Been a few days and not seeing much root development yet.

Might not be good for DWC but I would be happy with that for soil in this short time. Looks like its putting all its energy into making leaves.

Is that a thermometer for testing how well meat is cooked in the middle pic?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shadey said:

Is that a thermometer for testing how well meat is cooked in the middle pic?

It's actually a pipeline thermometer I scooped out of an abandoned well site way up north when I was working up there.  It's 9C lower than actual temp but as long as I know that it's OK to keep an eye on the nute temps with. 

I'm keeping the room temp at 70F so the nute temp stays lower but planning to move the tubs upstairs and using the chiller to keep temps down so I can put my larger plants down there and get them flowering under the 1000w Hortilux.  Then I can let the temps run up closer to 90 and run the CO2 burner.

I'll take a bunch of cuttings off those first.  Some haven't even showed sex yet.

Two unsexed Blueberry on the far left and the other one right front in the larger pot as it's shown to be a girl.  One of the two AK47 front and center with the other behind it and the 3 Otto clones on a couple of inverted plant pots way at the back.  May need one to go into the tub downstairs as it looks like I broke one.  The OG #18 is the biggest one in the back on the right side.

Group25021804.jpg

Watch Kitty guarding the door. :)

WatchKitty06.jpg

• Like 1