LabRat

Lab's latest efforts

I probably shouldn't do this but :WTF:

I was out in BC for a few weeks in Aug/Sept and bought a bunch of grow goodies like ballasts, bulbs etc.  I also got three 5 packs of Crop King seeds for $40 each of BlueBerry, Original Skunk and Afghani.  I'm giving the Afghani away as I grew some of those a decade ago and tho they are huge producers with lots of hash potential for me the medicinal properties just weren't there and that's what it's all about for me.  I'm still not sure if those old seeds were truly Afghani and it took me three generations of growing them out to breed out the hermie factor.  If these Crop King ones hermie then my next visit to BC will end with a stay in the GreyBar Hotel! :)

I used 3 each of the BB and OS along with all 3 AK47 fem seeds I bought off a buddy that gifted me clones last Dec then 7 buggy plants a couple months ago.  More about that later. ;)

I soaked the beans in RO water after a 2min shake in a sandpaper lined pill jar with a tiny dab of Dawn to break the surface tension and the AK were on the bottom before the first hour was done.  The others went down fast too but one BB stayed up until about an hour before I stuck it in the dirt.  By dirt I mean a 50:50 mix of ProMix HP with ProMix Veg&Herb that has been screened thru a 1mm mesh that is what your average window screen is so just buy some of that cheap to get the same stuff.

Planted them all a little too deep and earlier today gently excavated them to find all sprouted and trying to get up like the one AK that showed up 18 hours after planting.  Happy to say that 7 of 9 are up now tho a few may need delicate surgery to take their hats off but that can wait until the morrow.  I never worry about things like this but I paid good money for these beans!

Just one each of BB and the AK to come up yet and it's looking good for them.  The one reluctant BB is the one up front and looks good so far,

OSAK47BBplanted06.jpg

A few minutes ago.

OSAK47BB04111701.jpg

As to the buggy plants Buddy gave me 7 that were freezing in an outdoor greenhouse and were about 2 weeks into flowering but sadly neglected.  Stuffed them into industrial sized Glad bags and brought them home to keep going under my old 8-tube bank of T-12 fluoros in the spare bedroom.  BUGS!  I knew they had them before I let them in and like a snake they are trying to bite me.

Decided to hack them all back to twigs and only kept one of the two ChemDawgs, the big Critical Kush and the very best of the no-name sativas that just happened to be the one from 30 year old seeds that he sprouted for a lark.  Really nice growth patterns and stanky rubbings tho it looks like crap now while re-vegging.  Already had 1-blade leaves popping out so shouldn't take long before I can get clones and toss it out.  Bugs hide in the soil too so out it must go!

It's on the left with the CD in the middle and the Ck on the right.

NewPlants37.jpg

Time to go spray for bugs again after the 3rd day and the girls down in the basement need a shot too to get rid of the thrips.

Nothing is going to get flowered until the last bug is dead! lol

:peace:

• Upvote 2

Nice to see whats going on Lab, I dont think I need to worry about taking 4 cuttings off my mother plants in one go, any more, not after looking at your last pic lol. If they survive that chainsaw mauling they must be indestructible ;) I know you said you like a minimalist design in things the other day, but your taking the piss now :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, LabRat said:

What is not easy is burping up all the crap from shitty Chinese food!

Its the MSG they put in all the sauces frigging up your system bud.

1 hour ago, Shadey said:

Its the MSG they put in all the sauces frigging up your system bud.

I try to avoid that shit but they sneak it all sorts of things under different names like hydrolyzed yeast protein.  Not MSG but still a shot of glutamate and that's the devil in those details.  Campbell's soups are well dosed with it just to name 1.

One of my favorite quick snacks is a good old fried egg sandwich with a liberal coating of Miracle Whip.  I had already cut way back on using it because they use soybean oil as their main ingredient and that's almost certain to be GMO soy which is over 90% of the soy grown in the states.  A few years back they came out with one they touted as better because they made it with olive oil.  O boy I thought!

Then when I read the label it listed olive oil as 3rd behind soybean oil and the worst of them all, cottonseed oil!  :puke:

Guess what is the top killer of so many people.  High fructose corn syrup.  Then guess what's in MW.  Sugar/Glucose-Fructose.  That's Canadian for HFCS!  Saves them a few pennies per jar but helps make people diabetic and fat just like the crap places like Micky-dees serves up to billions every year.  Jamb a kill burger up your fat ass then don't forget to donate to Ronnies house where we try to fix all the dying kids that ate our crap to get here.

I deleted that rant post and here I go again.  Getting on my soapbox and boring the hell out of folks who mostly don't care.  Like talking computers to folks who just  want to turn the damn thing on, splash their latest drama on FuckBook then walk away.  I don't do that tho I've had a FB account almost since the day it started.  Same with Twitter.

They all think I'm just an old fart who can't figure out how to use the web.  Guess what.  I've been building and repairing computers since I got my first one in '87 when I went back to school to get my diploma in chemistry.  A couple years after that I went back to school to get another diploma as a webmaster.  Both of them are framed and hanging on the wall in my man-cave next to my latest ACMPR certificate.  Fat lot of good any of them does tho. :)

Your old home has better rules regarding what can be put in foods and it's hella better than the corporately owned crap they feed us on this side of the pond.  I'm tempted to get a passport and move on over.  I actually applied to emigrate to Australia almost 30 years ago but they wouldn't have me.  I wouldn't have me either.  lol

As much as I hate living in this god-forsaken part of our country I do like the fact that I can do damn near anything I want and nobody but the wife cares or bitches,  Big fat magpie sitting in a tree, Boom and the bugger is a dusting of feathers slowly drifting to the ground below that tree.  Running out of ammo tho but my closest neighbour a half a click away will happily buy me what I need.  Runs over with his huge tractor to plow out my driveway every time we get a big dump too.  When he needs a hand at his place me or the wife scoot over to help out there.  I don't think they know I grow pot but I'm not going to ask. :D

The Durrells on Corfu are on the idiot box atm so must end this before everybody's eyes glaze over. :circle:

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

One of my favorite quick snacks is a good old fried egg sandwich with a liberal coating of Miracle Whip

My favorite sandwich as well, but it has to be in buttered french bread with salt and pepper, none of that miracle crap lol.  Helmans do an organic mayonnaise now. Superstore and wallmart sell it, made with avacado oil. I am anti Mc Donalds, haven't touched it in about 14 years.

Its the same with nestles cherrios advert. Buy cherrios and we will donate to saving bees. Well how about stopping using GMO crap covered in roundup and do the bees and everything  else a big fucking favor, then you can stop insulting our intelligence with your shite green washing advert. Fucking hypocrites. lol you got me at it now, In my head, I hear my wife saying, why are you shouting at the tv again lol.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shadey said:

My favorite sandwich as well, but it has to be in buttered french bread with salt and pepper, none of that miracle crap lol.  Helmans do an organic mayonnaise now. Superstore and wallmart sell it, made with avacado oil. I am anti Mc Donalds, haven't touched it in about 14 years.

Its the same with nestles cherrios advert. Buy cherrios and we will donate to saving bees. Well how about stopping using GMO crap covered in roundup and do the bees and everything  else a big fucking favor, then you can stop insulting our intelligence with your shite green washing advert. Fucking hypocrites. lol you got me at it now, In my head, I hear my wife saying, why are you shouting at the tv again lol.

Ain't it grand eh.  So many times when working on rigs and catching a ride to some town somewhere the dudes I'm with roll into the line-up at places like McDs and I hop out to go grab a fruit and veggie plate at the store next door.  Or a donair if a place I know is handy.  Love them donairs ever since a cab driver buddy from your neck of the woods turned me on to the first donair shop ever in Calgary around 1978.    Couple of boys from NS.  Tons of hot banana peppers and two chopped up onions if you please!  Made the best fresh fries there as well.

One of my little munchy snacks is Shreddies Honey ones.  Sweet as hell but they don't use all that much sugar.  They use a natural sweetener called Thaumatin.  I scoped that stuff out on the web and it's made from some weird fruit in south america somewhere and is like 100x sweeter than cane sugar.  It's the very last ingredient on the list as so little of it is needed to sweeten the product.

My snacky drawer is filled with things like Belgian chocolate at least 70% coco.  Raw organic pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  Cashews and other nuts abound.  I do have good old liquorice allsorts but they are from England and only use natural flavours and colours from fruits.   Cost twice as much as the cheaper brands but well worth the money.

A few days ago I was picking up few things at the local supermarket and along with Hemp Hearts and organic coconut oil they sell McDonald's Fillet-O-Fish and Big Mac sauces!  HFCS is like the 2nd ingredient on the list.  Needless to say it stayed on the shelf after I left. :)

Haven't drank a pop in at least 10 years.  Coke is full of HFCS or toxic artificial sweeteners if it's calorie free just like most crappy yogurts.  Big supporter of Heinz Ketchup until they pulled out of Canada leaving hundreds of tomato farmers in the lurch.  Luckily French's came in and started making ketchup as good as Heinz but a bit too sweet for my older taste buds.  Heinz is now making yellow mustard like French's but uses HFCS like they now use in all their US made products.

French's yellow mustard got a 5 star rating from NaturalNews.com a few years ago as it uses all natural ingredients and gets it's bright yellow colour from tumeric.  A very healthy spice used all over the orient and India and contains curcumin that helps prevent cancer and alzheimers.  Mustard seed has lots of sulfur compounds like broccoli etc that work well to prevent cancer etc.  Just a tsp a day is enough to help prevent disease.

Just the tip of the iceberg.

14 hours ago, LabRat said:

Love them donairs

My neighbor had some goats a while back and  asked him why, he said he was raising them for a guy who used them for donaire meat. Probably taste like lamb I would think.

One of my little munchy snacks is Shreddies Honey ones

the cereal I use is natures path, ancient grains it has organic cane sugar in it, never heard of Thaumatin, I use organic stevia as a sweetner, stopped drinking pop about 10 years ago as well.

My snacky drawer is filled with things like Belgian chocolate at least 70% coco.  Raw organic pumpkin and sunflower seeds.  Cashews and other nuts abound

I am a sugar addict, If there is chocolate in the house it doesnt last long :) I love organic liquorice but if I have to much it gives me the shits lol. Cashew nuts are my favorite nut, when wallmart did bags 750grms for $10 I would have a bag a week I am addicted to those as well, probably because a hand full are the equivalent of a large dose of prozac, same as almonds which produce tryptophan for a good nights sleep. I like walnuts as well but not as much as cashews.

Big supporter of Heinz Ketchup until they pulled out of Canada leaving hundreds of tomato farmers in the lurch. 

I didnt know that, they now do an organic ketchup which is very good. I cant handle Frenchs mustard its too sweet and not hot enough. You want to try english mustard if you like hot things. My daughters boyfriends parents came round for a barbecue back in august, and his dad smothered his burger in english mustard, and I thought I hope you like hot mustard, poor fucker almost choked to death lol. His eyes were watering and snot was pouring out his nose and he was trying to breath and swallow at the same time lmao. I thought I was gonna get to try a Heimlich maneuver on him. I am such a compassionate person.

I gotta get my sprouts into decent pots and a warmer space ASAP.  Two weeks and they look like crap.

OSAK47BB0121117.jpg

Got my DIY LED light fixture all done and it's ready to rock.  Passed it's smoke test this afternoon and fired all 11 bulbs.  Like looking at the 1000W MH it's so bright!

I had bought a half dozen new vanity light fixtures from a thrift store years ago and was going to use two of the 4 bulb units woth CFLs to make a light box for vegging smaller plants with but glad I procrastinated on that one.  LEDs have come in big time and lots of folks are tearing the globes off and mounting them on things to grow plants with.  Recently there was a promotion so I bought 3 dozen 9W bulbs for a buck each.  24 - 5000K and 12 - 2700K.  Then to build my unit.  Here's the layout.  All the bulbs are on 6" centers so I arranged the 3-bulb center one to be 6" from all the rest then bolted the three fixtures into one.

LEDFinish01.jpg

All bolted together and wired up.  Planning to put a nice cover over all the wires on the back but it's not really needed.  It's all properly grounded and I use the kind of marettes, (wire connectors), that have a brass collar that has a screw to secure the wires then screws into the plastic cap.

LEDFinish02.jpg

Details of wiring.

LEDFinish04.jpg

Flipped over with flashy chrome covers and bulbs installed for the smoke test.

LEDFinish05.jpg

Houston, we have lift-off!  See the two 2700K in the middle row?

LEDFinish06.jpg

Took a few hours to build but I got more time than money so :WTF::) .

I had the cord and male plug along with all the other bits and pieces so my total cost was $11 for the bulbs and $8 for the fixtures I bought at the thrift store.  Not bad for under $20.  Dying to get some plants under it like the 7 of my poor struggling sprouts.

Each bulb is 800 lumens but that's with the globes on so I wonder what that is really when they are beaming straight down on the plants.  Even if it is just 800 that gives me 8800 lumens which is about 1/4 of what my 400W MH gives off but uses only 1/4 of the power at 99W so that seems pretty decent.  Ought to work great for smaller plants until they are big enough to have a canopy that can absorb all the light a 400 gives off.  Very economical.

If anyone has any questions just go ahead and ask.  Love finding a use for some of the stuff I have lying around gathering dust. :)

• Upvote 1

I like all the shiny chrome, looks very professional. Definitely the way of the future in growing. Easy extra light without the heat issues. Other than being very expensive for a proper grow light, I cant fault them. unless you need the heat as well a light.

• Like 1

I was going to leave the covers off to save weight but it can't weigh more than 6 - 8 lbs with them and it does look better tho the reflective surface doesn't make any real difference.

I'll be using it in the upstairs bedroom so don't need any extra heat in there. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to transplanting my sickly sprouts into 1L pots last night,  The seed starter pot was filled with screened ProMix HP 50/50 with ProMix potting soil a few months back and stored moist in a big ziplock freezer bag a few months ago.  Smelled OK when I got around to using it for these seeds but I can't think of anything else that could account for how poorly they are doing. 14 days since they came up.

OSAK47BB015111701.jpg

All tucked into their new homes with straight ProMix HP and watered with 1.5ml/L of all 3 base nutes, 2ml/4L Rhino Skin and 2ml/4L CalMag.  Forgot to add a dash of SuperThrive but will do that when they next need water.

2 - AK47 fem on the left, 2 - BlueBerry in the middle and the 3 - Original Skunk on the right.  I dug out the unsprouted BB seed, scuffed it up and replanted it in the little black pot with the same stuff the rest are in to see if it will come up yet.  All I found of the un-sprouted AK seed was half a seed shell.  No idea what happened to the rest of it but it must have sprouted.

OSAK47BB015111702.jpg

Out of the 7 plants I got gifted a while back all covered in mites I culled them back to 3 plants and hacked the 3 back to nubs and set them to reveg as I sprayed for bugs.  One of the 3 a larger Critical Kush plant didn't make it so tossed it out.  They all had small buds so I took those off and paper-bagged them in separate bags for testing later.  So far I've only tried the buds off the bushier plant which is an unknown sativa from 30 year old seeds buddy sprouted.  Excellent buzz so glad I saved her.  I haven't sampled the other one yet which is Chem Dawg on the right but will do that tonight.

Both are revegging now so as soon as I can get cuttings off them they go down in the basement to get flowered with the CBD plants after I get cuttings off them too.

OSAK47BB015111703.jpg

• Upvote 1

Plant on the left is getting bushier, one on the right is doing ok, considering how you vandalized it lol. Another week and you should be able to take some cuttings off. I thought the seedlings were going in a DWC.

The seedlings are for breeding and maybe finding decent moms.  I got my DWC cloner running now and will take cuttings from the 3 CBD girls and the OG#18.  Four each maybe and those cuttings will go into DWC if they root OK with one each of the first 3 kept for moms.  Hoping in 3 weeks I can have 2 - 4 tubs going.  Still way behind schedule and got to get shit happening.

Turns out the wife has used my lumber for other projects so now have to come up with $100 or so to build my new room. :mad:

Might just throw up that 8x4 tent and get it going.  Can hang the light rail in there easy.