Hello all,

I am a medical marijuana user who is registered under the ACMPR program. I was recently suspended from my job without pay for having tested positive for THC, after a minor "near miss" incident that didn't result in any injuries. That suspension was immediately followed by an ultimatum in which I was to "voluntarily" register for a substance abuse program or face termination. I opted to instead file a complaint with the Alberta Human Rights Commission, which was accepted and recently forwarded to my employer. Currently, I'm waiting for their response.  Because I have reason to expect that my employer will spare little expense in opposing my complaint however possible, including civil action, I have made efforts to find legal council, which led to a conversation with John Conroy, who has advised that I have a very strong case and offered guidance in finding excellent legal representation in my province when the times comes.

So... I've begun preparing for a long fight and the related expenses. However, it's evident to me that my savings, in addition to whatever funds I can squeeze out of the equity I have in my home, will not be enough. So I've come here to ask for support from the community. Please keep in mind that my case will set precedent in Alberta, which will extend to other provinces/states and that very, very few of us are able to fight these kinds of fights on our own. This is exactly how corporations impose injustice on people... divided we fall and united we stand. It truly is as simple as that.  

So please share my GoFundMe link (below) and please donate any amount if you are able.  - https://www.gofundme.com/disability-discrimination

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wish I had cash to spare Gquebed as your quest is righteous.

I'm an Albertan too and up to a few years ago was a truck driver in the oil patch.  Never got tested tho and would have failed miserably if I had.

Good luck!

:peace:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Wish I had cash to spare Gquebed as your quest is righteous.

I'm an Albertan too and up to a few years ago was a truck driver in the oil patch.  Never got tested tho and would have failed miserably if I had.

Good luck!

No worries, I totally understand...

But if you could share link instead on Facebook and wherever else you can... that kind of support is greatly appreciated too! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a FB account but if I'm on once a year that's a lot for me.  I never mention pot on there either as I'm a closeted grower and too paranoid to post about pot in a public forum where my real identity would be exposed.

I'm active in a few other forums so will try posting your story and link in them.

The ACMPR is a shitty program and offers no protection to patients.  I'm in it for my 2nd year now and I would never support the corporate takeover of cannabis in Canada by buying pot from an LP.  If I get stopped with any pot I'm in the same shit as someone without a medical exemption.

As recreational legalization rolls out there are going to be lots of new court cases for problems like yours, impaired charges and growing violations.  Thanks to 80 years of pot prohibition there has been no research into pot.  At least not research our repressive gov'ts will recognize as valid so a lot has to be repeated.

I predict at least another 2 decades of this foolishness before pot obtains the acceptance it deserves and truly becomes free and legal.  The greedy corporate entities that want to keep selling pot at prohibition price levels will get their comeuppance as thousands of rec growers come online and force them to drop their prices to sell their toxic schwag.  The only pot I've bought in the last 30 years is recently from dispensaries so I could try out different strains for their medicinal value and hopefully find seeds of the same to grow my own.  High CBD pot seems to be the ticket for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

I have a FB account but if I'm on once a year that's a lot for me.  I never mention pot on there either as I'm a closeted grower and too paranoid to post about pot in a public forum where my real identity would be exposed.

I'm active in a few other forums so will try posting your story and link in them.

The ACMPR is a shitty program and offers no protection to patients.  I'm in it for my 2nd year now and I would never support the corporate takeover of cannabis in Canada by buying pot from an LP.  If I get stopped with any pot I'm in the same shit as someone without a medical exemption.

As recreational legalization rolls out there are going to be lots of new court cases for problems like yours, impaired charges and growing violations.  Thanks to 80 years of pot prohibition there has been no research into pot.  At least not research our repressive gov'ts will recognize as valid so a lot has to be repeated.

I predict at least another 2 decades of this foolishness before pot obtains the acceptance it deserves and truly becomes free and legal.  The greedy corporate entities that want to keep selling pot at prohibition price levels will get their comeuppance as thousands of rec growers come online and force them to drop their prices to sell their toxic schwag.  The only pot I've bought in the last 30 years is recently from dispensaries so I could try out different strains for their medicinal value and hopefully find seeds of the same to grow my own.  High CBD pot seems to be the ticket for me.

I suspect you are correct... another 20ish before there is true acceptance. Rome wasn't built overnight though. It's just now that the Baby Boomers are moving out of power and younger, more accepting generations, like GenX and Millennials,  take over and make changes. In the meantime, some fights have to be fought.

But in the end. Corps will take over the business, just like every other. Can only hope there will be room for small business in it all. That will require some scrapping too...  

• Upvote 1

Looks like our new NDP gov't is likely to go with private stores like they do with booze and one can only hope that small growers like micro-brewers are allowed as well.  I could get into that.  Growing since '70s, diploma in chemistry and a clean criminal record are just a few things I can bring to the table for such an enterprise.  Somebody else will have to bring the cash! :D

I'm 63 and still hoping to use truly legal pot before my time is up but not confident that it will ever happen in my lifetime.  Never figured I'd make 30 when I first smoked a joint at 13.  How time flies.

Lot of us boomers are getting into pot again after decades of abstinence but the ones I know are more interested in edibles and higher CBD strains that really fix their aches and pains without locking them to the couch.  To that end I'm growing those strains and making cocobudder out of it.  I need to quit smoking anything too after 2 collapsed lung episodes.  Both on the right side 3 years apart.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, LabRat said:

Looks like our new NDP gov't is likely to go with private stores like they do with booze and one can only hope that small growers like micro-brewers are allowed as well.  I could get into that.  Growing since '70s, diploma in chemistry and a clean criminal record are just a few things I can bring to the table for such an enterprise.  Somebody else will have to bring the cash! :D

I'm 63 and still hoping to use truly legal pot before my time is up but not confident that it will ever happen in my lifetime.  Never figured I'd make 30 when I first smoked a joint at 13.  How time flies.

Lot of us boomers are getting into pot again after decades of abstinence but the ones I know are more interested in edibles and higher CBD strains that really fix their aches and pains without locking them to the couch.  To that end I'm growing those strains and making cocobudder out of it.  I need to quit smoking anything too after 2 collapsed lung episodes.  Both on the right side 3 years apart.

I'm hoping they will allow weed coffee shops. Maybe not like Amsterdam where you can buy the weed but just the place to go and smoke or eat edibles