Shadey

Picture I am about to start painting

I am going to paint a pic for a buddies 60th Bday.

Starting off with a 12x16 canvas gessoed in black. Using airbrush and Createx Transparent paints.

Cut out my positive stencil and tapped over the canvas to protect it from over-spray.

Can you tell what it is yet :)

DSC08421.JPG

• Like 1

I'm lousy at ink-blot tests so how's about a hint? ;)

:peace:

LOL if you dont know thats sad, I am sure you see this type of silhouette very often. You will have to wait and see lol. I will post pics as I go. :)

• Upvote 1

some progress shots

Putting in my white back ground and showing where leaves are going.

2.thumb.jpg.7ea5cb38706f2377f77932c3b7cccbdc.jpg

adding base colors

3.thumb.jpg.f5e4f5325a692e2d1aeaf38760818055.jpg

more base colors

4.thumb.jpg.9ba20de8176bdcfb3dd41c853798fd02.jpg

Edited by Shadey
  • Upvote 1

Marked out the buds in purple an dark blue mix.

5.JPG

added base shadows mixed dark purple, dark brown and dark blue for a natural black so it doesnt flatten out the depth I am trying to create in the image.

6.JPG

• Upvote 1

More progress last night. Added some purples and dark blues around the leaf edges and pistils to the flowers, experimenting with the trichomes, its hard do thousands of tiny dots consistently, without wanting to rush it, but I think its worth it for the effect.

10.jpg

Nearly gone blind doing all the tiny dots, lol added more pistils in pale yellow and white for more depth. Now I am experimenting with my base colors on the leaves, I have purple over the red, should have gone red over the purple, so I am going to re do those. Transparent paints allow you to build colors gradually with under colors showing through when the light hits them.

12.jpg

• Upvote 2

A bit more done to the leaves, added a dark red over the purple, I added before, I hope this will work I am trying to get some luminosity of the leaves without killing it with a white tint. Added yellow to the leaf veins and outside edges Its really popping now starting to enjoy it. I hate the middle section of my paintings, they always look crap until you start to get some detail going. Crappy photos dont help either lol.

14.jpg

Added more yellow to the rest of the leaves, went back in with more white trichome dots, leaves are looking quite nice but not what I was hoping for, still look flat. Cleaned up the over spray around the edges of the pic with the black to sharpen it up.

15.jpg

OK attempt #3 at the leaves, cant really see it in the photo but have gone back in on the leaves with a hot pink, which I hope will come through the purple I am going to put over it with more luminosity, worked on the edges of the leaves more I am happy with that part. Added purple over the fresh white dots on the bottom 3rd of the pic to knock back the white dots again to give it more depth. I am starting to get my happy dance on with this one now, but a lot more detail and stuff to go on.

16.jpg

• Upvote 1

OK trying to create more depth so I am adding a border that some of the leaves and flowers will hang over. I am doing it in a purple, but have to put a white base down first, so the color pops on the black. Messed it up in the corner went to far and to strong so painting it out and doing it again.

17.jpg

Ok border done and added smoke around the outside for more depth, got to repair some over spray on the leaves and pistils coming over the edge of the border. Stuck my sig on it, but something is catching my eye, so I am going to smoke some weed and look at it and see what is grabbing my attention that shouldn't be.

18.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ganjajuana said:

I love it, Shady!  Awesome work. It would look great in my living room. 

Thanks for the kind words Ganjauana, its getting there, its not finished yet I think I am going to have to widen the side borders they are to narrow and out of balance with the top borders. I think I will double the width and see what it looks like, but I dont want to cut into the smoke too much. Its easy to make things bigger with the black than smaller by adding white smoke. Once you create a line with and airbrush its very hard to hide it as the edge will always increase its paint density compared to the new paint trying to hide it lol.

• Upvote 1

Really nice so far Shadey!

Looks a bit like these.

OG18Harvest140617.jpg

I wish I could do artistic stuff. :(

:peace:

• Like 1

Thanks Lab, Yes, I like your thanks giving presentation, the pic I used is off the internet, of a purple haze but the photo was taken under an LED light I think, as it has a ultra violet sheen which is what I am struggling to  replicate. I cant quite get it, I cant try to many times as the over spray starts to muddy the colors of the whole pic and they lose their vibrancy, so I am leaving the leaves alone now. I will post my reference pic at the end for comparison.

@LabRatI wish I could do artistic stuff. :(

You do, just not in same way, you didnt just throw those leaves and buds down on the table, you arranged them in a aesthetically pleasing way, and produced your image with a camera, instead of an airbrush. Thats being artistic.

OK more this morning added its genetics PURPLE HAZE in a nice sort of smokey rolling text, definitely think I need to widen the side borders. Messed up with the text so doing it again.

19.jpg

That looks better added little high lights to it as well.

20.jpg

Now I am increasing the border width one side at a time to make sure its wide enough before doing it to the other side.

21.jpg

OK more done trying not to rush as its delivery day for the picture.

Finished widening the outside borders.

22.jpg

Added more yellow to the outside edges of the leaves to get rid of the purple over spray from doing the border edge. Just needs some shadows and high lights and a little tweeaking and its nearly done.

24.JPG

Added my drop shadows around the 3 leaves in front and the 2 middle ones. Added shadow to the bottom of the leaves where they extend out from the bud as well as around some of the bud areas to push them back a bit for more depth. Added some more white dots to the tricome areas and to the  pistils to pull them forward, as well as a touch of white on the upper leaf edges and tips. You probably cant see these things due to the camera flash bleaching and flattening the pic out. So I am now going to get some pics outside in natural light which will make a big difference.

25.JPG

OK final pics, all finished, I could have gone on for more tweaks, but time is pressing and I don't want to fuck it up at the last minute lol. Interesting exercise and good practice as I haven't painted in about 4 months. I tried to get the color combinations right, but failed there although a good attempt. I know what I did wrong, I should have gone with a cobalt blue over the hot pink for the ultra violet effect instead of purple. I wasn't worried about getting the exact shape likeness like I would for a portrait just focusing on color.

Here is my Reference pic from the net. You can see the luminosity that I was going for with the colors and couldn't get it.

c.jpg

My version       Purple Haze      the photo is still not good compared to looking at the real picture, its viewing distance is about 3-6 ft at 3 feet you see all the details and up to 6 feet you see less detail and more natural color blends.

Purple Haze 16x12 edited1.jpg