CC Forums

MR2high    10

Hey all,

I'm preparing my first grow and it will be using organic soil. Is there any reason I can't do a Garden bed? I'm thinking about a raised garden bed. My flower "tent" will be 8'x6'x10'. I was planning to use pvc as the frame and panda film to wrap it. I would rather have two garden beds each 6'x2' and each would have 3 ladies. No scrog or lst this grow.

If I can use the garden bed; what should my depth be?

M.R.

• Upvote 1

Shadey    309
6 hours ago, MR2high said:

was planning to use pvc as the frame and panda film to wrap it.

Hi, Mr2high, I just built a small 3ft L 2ft W and 4 ft tall, tent for mothers and clones out of panda film and pvc pipe. Its not very sturdy and its difficult to get the film to stick to itself and the frame using duck tape which keeps falling off due to the humidity. I would recommend using 2x2 in lumber for the frame and you can staple the film to it using small plastic squares cut out of plastic food tubs and lids, on top of the film as well to stop the staples tearing through the film. It is also not very good at keeping heat in or out like with my canvass tent. Negative air pressure is a problem too, if you have to turn the fan up high to exhaust hot air or humidity.

If I build another one, I would probably use foil backed insulation board with a wooden frame.

The only problem with a big garden bed is drainage, and how you deal with the run off, so long as you don't over water it shouldn't be a problem, its also difficult to move easily. I think volume is more important than depth, my 5 gal smart pots are only 14 inches high. The smaller the volume the more frequent you will need to water and feed when they are big.

• Upvote 1

MR2high    10

Thanks Shadey. The pvc tent I saw worked great but it was also 2x2. I was worried about the pvc holding the weight of the lights as well so I probably should use wood for the frame.

There will be no feeding. Soil amendments and water. I don't need to move the beds but I am considering putting the on a drain tray and maybe building some kind of timed irrigation system. I haven't nailed down the details but I would rather have beds for the ladies instead of pots. I want then to grow as they would in nature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Shadey    309
3 hours ago, MR2high said:

I want then to grow as they would in nature.

That's the way to go. I would have just finished my first all organic grow, but the seeds were bag seeds and all transgendered on me. The fungus gnats were a nightmare as well, I just started my next and have done a preemptive strike with hydrogen peroxide and Neem Oil . I was using sohum living soil, a JAW's mix, worked well but needed more K after a couple of weeks into flower. I was just watering and using teas. Are you growing cover crops and adding worms and stuff?

You ought to take a look at this guys grow it has some of the elements your incorporating, and some you probably never seen before lol. Seems strange but he gets great results.  

• Upvote 1

MR2high    10

I plan on adding cover crops such as clover. I'm not sure about the worms yet. I understand they are good for the soil but I would like to go out and sit with the ladies without worrying about worms climbing on me. I don't have a soil recipe yet. I have to get the beans and build the room. I am going to germ and veg for a bit in a dresser with a cfl and by the time they need more room I will transplant them into the beds. I'm not growing for commercial, I just want the pure organic flower the way Gaia intended. I had some ISS recently and I am almost certain it was outdoor and I could taste and feel the extra love. Call me crazy :)

Thanks for the tips. I will check this guy out. I would really like to grow in a greenhouse eventually but right now that isn't an option.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LabRat    928

I knew a guy years back that grew a 20 x 20 room in beds of dirt with strings of 400Whps lights above each bed hooked up with hose for air cooling.  Never changed the soil but added more goodies to it each crop.  Don't know if he had worms but worms won't try to crawl on you and sure they're slimy but go fishing and bait a few hooks with worms and they won't bother you no more. :)

He got busted because he smacked his wife around and when the cops showed up there was boxes with grow gear sitting in the living room.  He was a boozer too and had some anger management issues.

AN has come out with certified organic nutes for hydro so I'm hoping to get some out here in BC and try them in DWC against the regular 3-part AN nutes.  If they do as well I'll get more and grow it all organic and won't need no stinkin' worms. :D

Hoping my 4 plants are still alive by the time I get home in about 3 weeks.  Wife is in charge 'til I get back.

:peace:

• Like 1

frmrgrl    395

Hi MR2high!  The beds should be at least 12" deep, otherwise it can stunt growth.  

Earthworms will crawl around or under you before they'll crawl on you.  Do add them to the beds, they'll eat up organic matter, and poop out incredibly nutritious plant food that also improves the soil.  The worms also help to keep the medium loose and airy as they burrow their way around.  Add several, even though they're hermaphroditic, it still takes 2 to get it on:boob:

8 hours ago, LabRat said:

There will be no feeding. Soil amendments and water. I don't need to move the beds but I am considering putting the on a drain tray and maybe building some kind of timed irrigation system. I haven't nailed down the details but I would rather have beds for the ladies instead of pots. I want then to grow as they would in nature.

I appreciate the simplicity of stoking the grow medium with all the necessary nutrition in slow release form, then just giving the crop water.  But I personally feel my crop performs better if I do that and supplement it with a tea.  Home brewing is easy and all you need are a couple buckets, the organic matter, some water, and time.  If your plants are outdoors in a tent, foliars of compost tea have been shown to improve resistance to pests and disease.  Why put forth the effort of building a tent and beds, and not give the crop its best shot at reaching genetic potential?

Chitin.  If you're not familiar, check it out.  Also volcanic and glacial sands.

• Upvote 2

MR2high    10

Thank you for the tip Fmrgrl. I will feed with organics such as tea and you have convinced me to add worms and worm poop :) It will be indoors. Today I will be putting together a soil recipe along with cover crops. I recently watched a video from Mendo dope and he has on a grow in Minnesota where the grower tried to replicate the redwood forest floor with his soil. I like that

frmrgrl    395

You're welcome. :cool:

Also check out Teaming With Microbes.  It's well worth its price, and a pretty easy read.

2 hours ago, MR2high said:

It will be indoors.

Lighting, how much (wattage) and what type?  Success and quality are largely dependent upon lighting.

MR2high    10

Well I am planning two flowering beds that are 2x6 each. I was thinking 2 600w per bed. I was also thinking of a way to put cfl bulb in the rails of the bed. If I could get a bulb in each corner and then one on both sides of the bed in between the plants. I am not sure how it will be done or if the cfl will hurt the soil/cover crops (and worms) but that is my thought process right now.

Shadey    309
7 hours ago, MR2high said:

If I could get a bulb in each corner and then one on both sides of the bed in between the plants. I am not sure how it will be done or if the cfl will hurt the soil/cover crops (and worms) but that is my thought process right now.

You should also check out ARGO's grow thread he is very good and imaginative with diy lighting, you could get some ideas from him.

http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190212-argos-office/

The CFL lights would not hurt the soil but may crisp up your cover crop being that close. Are those 600 watt lights LED, florescentT5 or something else?

MR2high    10

They are HID. I eventually want LED but I can't afford them now. I'm buying lights off Craigslist at this point. If I had a little post for the cfl, raise it up 6"-12" would that still be too much heat for the cover crop? I have heard people talk about a cover crop package with a bunch of different cover crops. Know anything about that?

Shadey    309
7 hours ago, MR2high said:

If I had a little post for the cfl, raise it up 6"-12"

No that would not be a problem, you could go as close as 2 inches above anything growing with a CFL. That will be a lot of heat 4 X 600w lights in that space. You will need some good extraction to deal with it during summer months.

MR2high    10

I agree but hopefully by summer months I will have LEDs. I still need to figure out my exhaust situation. I have a general plan and a soil recipe. First thing first I will have the beans in a couple of weeks and I need to germinate them and prepare the soil. If I try to solve the whole puzzle at one time it will overwhelm me :)  Its weird. I am excited and scared all at the same time. This have been a dream for 12 years now its a goal!

• Like 1

Shadey    309
On 8/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, MR2high said:

I need to germinate them and prepare the soil.

If you are building your own soil it may take a month or two to break down and develop its microbes before you can use it.

MR2high    10

The recipe I have says two weeks but yeah I am accounting for that time. I will order the seeds and make the soil the same day.

• Upvote 1

Shadey    309
On 8/27/2017 at 0:25 AM, MR2high said:

I will order the seeds

Hows it going, have you ordered your seeds yet?

MR2high    10

I can't afford the garden right now but tonight I will be planting my seed in some foxfarm ocEan forest. I'm going to bless my single GG seed and start. I have one cfl and I will add more as the growth starts. I am using the subcools-super-soil-improved recipe and I have almost everything. I need to track down some dolomite lime and some azomite. I won't be able to cook it long enough social will have to add some Mycorrhizae. I will keep you updated!

20170902_174045.jpg

Shadey    309

Sounds good, mycorrhizae works well, I use it every time I re pot my plants, I just sprinkle it around the hole the plant is going in. If you want to get your micro horde up and running fast, use teas they work very well. I use a basic tea made from, worm castings, Jobes organic tomato and something cant remember off the top of my head, and organic molasses and a some mycorrhizae bubbled in a 2 liter pot with a fish tank aerator for 24-36 hours depending on how dry and hungry they are when I make it. When in flower I add kelp meal which you can add to your soil as well for potassium and good root growth, when you re pot for the last time before flowering starts. You can also use the tea as a foliage feed, which boosts growth very well and quickly, as the leaves absorb much faster than roots. The same as humans with skin and digestion.

MR2high    10

Thanks for the tips. I need to read more on compost teas.

Isabella is in soil. I know she doesn't need light but she is outside with the kids and I right now.

I will keep you updated :)

• Upvote 1