Fred_the_Plumber

3D Printing

7 posts in this topic

Jumped into the 3D printing arena and am having a blast... I am currently printing a cryptex stash box with a million possible combination (5^16)
Printing in PLA on a Prusa I3 clone at 0.1mm layer height ( yeah I know... really slow, but the surfaces are awesome)
I also have a Delta that is not playing nicely. It tends to jump when the arms get close to the edges of the print surface.

So far I have designed and printed parts for both printers, two different wind turbine designs, a couple of figurines, a tablet stand, parabolic dish... And I'm just getting everything dialed in.
I have also printed bits and pieces for Magrav power systems, but that is a whole different thread.

PIC_0362.JPG

Picture 139.jpg

PIC_0390.JPG

The things I could do with one of those. How durable is the material it produces?

That depends on what material you are printing with and your print parameters... Folks have printer rifle receivers that withstood 500 rounds a minute, or wrenches, but the wrenches were only for light duty use.
PLA is pretty tough but has a low melting point. It also absorbs water. With the right hot end you can print in acrylic, Polycarbonate, or many other materials. Although I haven't yet heard of it, I'm sure you could even print in nylon.

Here's a boat prop test printed in several materials....

What did you have in mind?

atm I was thinking air brush custom grips, to slide over the airbrush trigger and handle. Skulls and other things I could incorporate into my art work, weird and wonderful walking stick handles, I occasionally make those. Custom 3d motorcycle decals.

14 hours ago, Fred_the_Plumber said:

Jumped into the 3D printing arena and am having a blast...

What's the range of startup costs?

the printers I have are on the low end of cost... FLSUN from amazon.ca .   They typically start at around $350 but can go into thousands if you really want high end.
the FLSUN printers are KITS and require assembly. Not terribly difficult to assemble, but I have many years of working with mechanics... Others may have some issues.

2 hours ago, Fred_the_Plumber said:

the printers I have are on the low end of cost... FLSUN from amazon.ca .   They typically start at around $350 but can go into thousands if you really want high end.
the FLSUN printers are KITS and require assembly. Not terribly difficult to assemble, but I have many years of working with mechanics... Others may have some issues.

I like kits... ;)

Thanks!