Fod

Hot Hot Hot.

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have had a bit of an issue with heat in the last week or two, my temps have been sky high (39 degrees) and I have air circulation in and out but the heat just would not go. They are mostly about 12 inches at the moment and I have managed to keep the temp down to 30 degrees max now. As you can imagine my girls{hopefully} have not been growing much during this time and I hear they can go into a hibernation mode in that kind of heat. Since the temps have reduce to below 30 they have started growing again.

My question is will they be ok or has this stressful period put them at risk of going hermi?

They all look healthy enough and am looking to go 12/12 in the next few days although one is only about 6-7 inches tall.

Thanks in advance.

High Fod

In my experience plants that go hermie will do it whether stressed or not.  It's a genetic thing and with all the back-breeding and mixing of genes that's been going on since the 70s in search of ever increasing THC levels hermies are a lot more common.  I stress the hell out of my plants through neglect and outright abuse sometimes and my stronger strains never hermie.  I was gifted a bunch of Afghani Kush seeds 10 years back that came from a hermied girl spreading pollen in a grow and by careful breeding got seeds that grow plants that don't hermie at all so I know it can be bred out of plants which means it can be bred in as well.  All cannabis has the ability to pollinate itself as a way to get seeded when there are no males around to do the job but it's a dormant trait in the wild.

Are you going to be able to keep the temps down regularly now?  You don't want high temps and humidity later in flowering when the buds are big and fat or it'll be bud rot you'll needing to worry about.  Around 35C/95F plants tend to stop growing as they close up to prevent moisture loss in times of drought. so to them it's probably not terribly stressful but just part of life they are programmed to deal with.  I maintain a temp of 24C/75F for most of my growing whether veg or flower.  It's low humidity that causes problems for me most of the year but I suppose that's better than dealing with high RH especially when flowering.

How many plants you got going now and what are they growing in?

Good luck!

:peace:

Hi LabRat,

I am upgrading my extract fan so this will help extract the heat out quicker and I have an air cooled fitting now aswell :)

I have 6 on the go at present all in coco which is a new medium for me although seems not much different to soil.

Kosher kush x Kosher kush and Spotanica?

I have heard the kush ones get a bit tall so have topped a few just in case.

Kush tend to be shorter plants as they are mostly indica but even a 3' plant can be too tall depending on your head room and lighting.

I tried coco 15 years ago and failed badly but it was cheap compressed stuff that probably needed a good flushing but I didn't know about that then so it was likely my own fault it didn't work for me.  I don't do well with dirt either so when I grow in pots I use peat based soilless mixes like ProMix HP which is my favorite and easy to get in the boonies here.  I do way better with DWC and can easily double my yields with that.

What kind of nutes are you using?  I hear coco needs extra CalMag and many nutes are made especially for coco and contain extra.  Advanced just came out with some certified organic nutes that work with hydro of all kinds so I'm hoping to get some of those to try against the regular nutes and see how they do.  I'm not particularly fussy about using organic but if I could get the same results from theirs then I'd likely do some with it as a few friends are fussy.

I'm using DutchPro Coco A&B which to be honest is not as good as I was hoping. I will revert back to soil next time and try and source some Bio Bloom and a Bottle of Ripen which done me proud last time round.

Time will tell.

I shall see if I can stick some pics up when they start getting interesting.

Hi Fod, I have dealt with high temps and humidity the past 2 months myself. It was getting up to 92F/33C in my flower tent as I tried to run 2 HPS lights in a 4x8' tent. I agree with LabRat that genetics plays a bigger factor in hermies than environment. I had 3 out of 4 of my Afghani girls hermie on me during the hot period while none of the 6 THC Bomb girls hermied. The THCB just stretched too much and made very fluffy buds killing my yield. Trichome production sucked of both strain but the THCB is still a very potent smoke. The Afghani sucks. Gets you high but not stoned. Just pisses me off and I start hitting the THCB or AK47.

I have just replaced the 1000w HPS with a LED and now my high temps are 82F/28C. My whole grow room is more comfortable now. I don't burst into a dripping sweat when I go in there.

Good luck with the grow and watch out for 'nanners.

Hey Ganjajuana,

That heat is a btich, I was thinking about trying the LED but need to wait until things have settled down a bit in that market as I still hear conflicting stories about them. I definently feel it's the way forward but just need to be positive its the right time before spending a wad of cash on them fittings.

I'm am hoping then that my Kush ones are ok as they were apparently from a good source called Reserva Privada (DNAGenetics).

I'll get some nice pics up when time comes.

Yeah, Fod, I have been skeptical of switching to LED, but I have been researching them online for a few years and watching peoples results and seeing the technology advance. It is like all other electronic technologies today. Once you buy the "latest greatest" the better one comes out next month. I went on and made the jump. Results still have yet to be seen. Only had it 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, if you get an LED, get some glasses. This mofo is BRIGHT on the eyes!

LED-glasses.jpg