You should really get a temp/rh controller for your exhaust fan.  Then it only comes on when needed as the temp or rh gets too high.

With those 5gal pails it's a PITA keeping them topped up and the pH/ppm is bouncing around constantly so I use RubberMaid tubs.  The shorter ones hold 35L and the taller ones hold 50L.  They hold more but that's what they take with 5" net pots in and the level an inch below the bottom of the pots.  The lids are interchangeable so I'll often start them in the shorter tubs then switch up to the taller ones before flipping to flower.  I would usually top up every 3 days then check the ppm and add nutes to keep it at the level I wanted.  If doing RDWC with a controller rez then the 5gal pails work fine,

If I get my new room built I plan to run 4 tubs in ScroG style with 2 plants/tub.  I'm leaving for BC tomorrow for about 3 weeks or more and a lot depends on what happens out there.  I'm going to be checking around for work in the pot industry like labs or running some extraction gear for making concentrates.  Don't want to work as a budtender as the chances of getting raided and charged with criminal offenses is too high for my liking.  I was offered budtender work last year and turned it down.  It's going to be a big deal to get moved out there but I hate living up here and feel like what's left of my life has been wasting away for a least the last 10 years.  Cheap digs tho and I'd end up being a renter if I go out to BC on my own.

To keep a steady supply of pot you really need a separate veg area so you can start a new plant every month or so and be cropping one plant out of the flower room every month or so.  With space for a couple of small mother plants growing in pots you can get cuttings as needed and keep a perpetual cycle going.  A veg space doesn't need a lot of stuff especially if using lower powered lights like CFLs or T-5s.  A cheap duct fan for the exhaust, no odor control  etc.  Just the basics then you tweak your flower space to work really well.

For me an oz of pot will make 250ml of cocobudder that is so strong it takes less than a tsp to bowl me over.  With a high CBD content my arthritis pain is dumbed right down for about 24 hours and my mood is much better for about the same amount of time.  I take little tokes here and there but rarely until the evening as I don't get much done when I'm totally straight much less buzzed. :)

That 250ml is good for almost 2 months at a tsp/day taken in the late evening.  With any luck you'll get a few oz off each plant so depending on your consumption levels you may be able to grow as you are and have enough to get thru to the next crop.  Try to keep topped up tho so you don't have a crop failure.  Plants keep you tied to your house more than a damn kid.  Lot harder to find a reliable babysitter for the plants. :D

Have you started flowering yet?  What's with those disks at the base of the plants?  I like to keep that open to the air so I don't get stem rot from too much moisture around the base.  The balls block the light just fine on their own if that's what they are for.

:peace:

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention about the humidifier.  Look for one that uses some kind of mist to get moisture into the air and not a heating element as they use a lot of power.  I had a nice one I got at the thrift store that used a wick type panel with a 5" or so fan to suck air through the panel and blow it into the room.  Was about a $200 unit I got for $10 but it died after a couple years.  I need to find something soon that will take care of the low rh I'll be having soon.  Super dry here in the winter.

• Upvote 1

5gal pails it's a PITA

L/R your not kidding, I think I will buy 2 large 50ltr tubs, by the time I reduced the levels allowing roots to strech a little to the water, I am 12ltrs max, 50ltrs would be great.

I have topped the plants, or killed them will let you know, :o

I sincerely wish you well on your travels, BC have you lived there before ? work for us guys is hard to find, most just laugh when I ask, age age age, budtender ? is this looking after a crop ?

in the UK it's all bad, if I have cuttings these are counted as a plant, "if the worse happened" so 2 plants plus 4 cuttings adds up £ billions on the street value, where really it's a couple of hundred pounds, also there is a good chance I would be evicted. your country is very liberal ...

I think your doing the right thing, if your not happy, cut it out and move on, and hope things get better......

Veg area,  wow, L/R I have been in this bussiness for well over 8wks :) already I want more room, I can build a shed in the garden 16ft x maybe 10ft those grow tents look good, at the mo I have a tiny closet 43" x 30", and thats it, I have 8 cutting in a propagator, and I really don't know where to put them, at the mo, there is no light to them, when do I add light ?

but getting back to the shed, it would entail lagging, water, elec, doing it well £1500, on the cheap £1000 plus the cost of shed, but already I see problems with my tiny set-up at the mo, and I would so love to go out and mess about and have room to do so.

What is cocobudder  ?

L/R I cant wait to try the meds, the pain killers aren't good, and I am addicted, and the only way forward is stronger and stronger, liver damage etc

Depression, I mean just to have a break from the dark, bring it on, but I am a criminal now.

Hopefully I can get a couple of oz per plant, fingers crossed,

Not yet flowering I start my 8th wk on tuesday, the packet said 8 to 9 wks

Can I ask the feeding ratio, it would be a great help when the time comes to flower, I simply have no idea on flowering ratio,  thos disc came with the dwc, I thought I had to keep them there :blush:

temp/rh controller

Classic idea, thanx

All the best in BC, take care, and I will keep you in my thoughts and if there is anyone listening, will put a good word in.......

Many Thanx

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 5:25 PM, Magician said:

I can build a shed in the garden 16ft x maybe 10ft those grow tents look good,

LOl growing weed is a trap, you think its easy and doesnt need much space or money and before you know it you have converted your house, garage or shed into a small agricultural center of excellence. I built a workshop with a 8 x10 foot spray booth for clear and base coat on whatever I am painting that requires it, mainly motorcycles. As there is not many people wanting airbrush artwork done during the biking season, I am thinking of running it as another grow room during the summer lol.

I have started again, my last plant transgendered, so they are all cut up and composted just kept the leaves and small buds. I put my 3 Candida CBD clones in the big tent to veg and hopefully I will have a good grow without the same problems again. I started to germinate a Grand daddy purple yesterday hopefully it will sprout and I can add that in as well.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:06 PM, LabRat said:

I'm leaving for BC tomorrow for about 3 weeks or more and a lot depends on what happens out there.  I'm going to be checking around for work in the pot industry like labs or running some extraction gear for making concentrates.  Don't want to work as a budtender as the chances of getting raided and charged with criminal offenses is too high for my liking.

Hi Lab, I was thinking about this the other day when you said that the clinic you contacted offered its customers different kinds of help and services, why dont you approach them as a grow instructor/ teacher working on a consultation basis.You could do it over the net like you do here on these forums or skype or in person if local to you. With your vast experience and knowledge you could easily do very well.I am seeing lots of marijuana consultation companies springing up on the net. The university of new brunswick in fredricton is offering courses in growing marijuana at a couple of thousand $ a course.

Edited by Shadey
  • Upvote 2

I was born in Vancouver, BC in 1954 Magician and grew up on Lulu Island in the middle of the Fraser River next door to Van in a town, now city, called Richmond.    My mom and 2 sisters live in the southern interior of BC in an area called the Okanagan.  My parents moved out to the Fraser Valley around '73 and I moved out there to help build the house and went back to high school for a term when I was 20.  As the only guy in the school old enough to by booze I made friends fast. :)

I moved out to Calgary, Alberta in '76 as there was no work in BC at the time and ended up getting married for 2 years and driving taxis until '82 when I moved back to the valley with a crazy girl and our little boy.    Had another boy in '84 not long after I crashed my 1970 Bonneville chopper and busted myself up pretty good.  Went to tech school a couple years later and got a diploma in environmental chemistry even tho I never did get my high school diploma.  In '92 the boy's mother took off and I raised them the rest of the way on my own with help from mom of course.  In 2001 I moved up here to northern Alberta with my current common-law wife, (still legally married to the first one), and ended up driving trucks in the oil patch.  Mostly water trucks building ice roads and working rigs but propane, ammonia and crude oil too.  Had a small stroke a few years back and haven't worked since tho looking to find some technical work in pot if I can.

They count cuttings as plants too here so it's not unique to you guys.  A small grow tent, say 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.3m would make a decent veg room or use that for flowering and your existing closet for veg.  Building a shed will draw attention and make you look like a big time grower should you ever run afoul of the law.

A budtender is like a bartender only dispensing buds to people instead of booze.  Lots of dispensaries where I'm going and they are always looking for educated help.  Basically advise people on what strains to use for their various ailments, explain how to use it and take their cash. :)

37 minutes ago, Magician said:

I have 8 cutting in a propagator, and I really don't know where to put them, at the mo, there is no light to them, when do I add light ?

They need light at 18/6 right away but they don't need lots of light so a couple low watt CFLs at 6400K is enough to get them rooting.  Fluorescent shop lights work fine or many growers use T-5s to start plants and veg with.

40 minutes ago, Magician said:

What is cocobudder  ?

Click on the link in my signature to find out about cocobudder.

42 minutes ago, Magician said:

Can I ask the feeding ratio, it would be a great help when the time comes to flower, I simply have no idea on flowering ratio,  thos disc came with the dwc, I thought I had to keep them there :blush:

Your nutes should have a bloom formulation tho don't follow it to the T.  Like with the veg part go by ppm.  I add bloom to my mix with some Big Bud about a week before flipping to flower.  They eat a lot for the first 3 weeks during the stretch period so add nutes to keep the ppm up around 1000 or a bit less then allow them to slowly eat that down as flowering goes on.  You should be flowering soon as that big plant is going to get huge when it flowers.  You may want to do some topping to get it closer in size to the other one so they stay around the same height.  After topping it takes around 10 days before the new grow tips are doing well and it's good to go for flowering.  Most strains are sexually mature and ready for vigorous flowering around 6 weeks old.

Got to run.  Still have lots to do to be ready to catch that 2:30 bus to take me to the big city to connect to the one taking me to heaven!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:06 PM, LabRat said:

You should really get a temp/rh controller for your exhaust fan.  Then it only comes on when needed as the temp or rh gets too high.

With those 5gal pails it's a PITA keeping them topped up and the pH/ppm is bouncing around constantly so I use RubberMaid tubs.  The shorter ones hold 35L and the taller ones hold 50L.  They hold more but that's what they take with 5" net pots in and the level an inch below the bottom of the pots.  The lids are interchangeable so I'll often start them in the shorter tubs then switch up to the taller ones before flipping to flower.  I would usually top up every 3 days then check the ppm and add nutes to keep it at the level I wanted.  If doing RDWC with a controller rez then the 5gal pails work fine,

If I get my new room built I plan to run 4 tubs in ScroG style with 2 plants/tub.  I'm leaving for BC tomorrow for about 3 weeks or more and a lot depends on what happens out there.  I'm going to be checking around for work in the pot industry like labs or running some extraction gear for making concentrates.  Don't want to work as a budtender as the chances of getting raided and charged with criminal offenses is too high for my liking.  I was offered budtender work last year and turned it down.  It's going to be a big deal to get moved out there but I hate living up here and feel like what's left of my life has been wasting away for a least the last 10 years.  Cheap digs tho and I'd end up being a renter if I go out to BC on my own.

To keep a steady supply of pot you really need a separate veg area so you can start a new plant every month or so and be cropping one plant out of the flower room every month or so.  With space for a couple of small mother plants growing in pots you can get cuttings as needed and keep a perpetual cycle going.  A veg space doesn't need a lot of stuff especially if using lower powered lights like CFLs or T-5s.  A cheap duct fan for the exhaust, no odor control  etc.  Just the basics then you tweak your flower space to work really well.

For me an oz of pot will make 250ml of cocobudder that is so strong it takes less than a tsp to bowl me over.  With a high CBD content my arthritis pain is dumbed right down for about 24 hours and my mood is much better for about the same amount of time.  I take little tokes here and there but rarely until the evening as I don't get much done when I'm totally straight much less buzzed. :)

That 250ml is good for almost 2 months at a tsp/day taken in the late evening.  With any luck you'll get a few oz off each plant so depending on your consumption levels you may be able to grow as you are and have enough to get thru to the next crop.  Try to keep topped up tho so you don't have a crop failure.  Plants keep you tied to your house more than a damn kid.  Lot harder to find a reliable babysitter for the plants. :D

Have you started flowering yet?  What's with those disks at the base of the plants?  I like to keep that open to the air so I don't get stem rot from too much moisture around the base.  The balls block the light just fine on their own if that's what they are for.

Hi L/R, unsure if your back, I hope all went well.

Reading your reply, and looking at the vast 10wks or so experience I have :), I can say the DWC is far to small, I need 50ltrs, the humidity, I was never in control, it was/is what it was/is, so I think I will look for a humidifier, a  thermostat running my extraction would be a plus, might need a small thermostat blow heater for the plants dark time in the winter,

It's a closet the room is very small, adding all that gear might be a challenge.

Dly checking nute, getting on my knee's to (1st) see the water levels in the DWC, (2nd) getting a nute sample to find out the nute strength is getting harder, bad knee, I am on my 3rd knee steroid injection, and it's not that good any more, max is maybe 4 injections, new knee after that.

The Advanced Nutes PH perfect, I think are brilliant simply due to the fact that I don't need to worry about PH, and now that the plant is big, and has a canopy, the nute temp is always about 65 to 68f, the main light seems to be good enough, however this is based on nothing :)   I have nothing to compare, but it's growing the plant well.

I waited way to long to top, then to place into flower, looks like I might burn my buds, the light is at it's max hieght.

Again I hope your travels bore fruit...

picture

Flower17_917.JPG

• Upvote 1

First grows are all about finding what works and when to do stuff. You'll know next time to top them sooner as well as flower earlier so you are at the right height for the finish. Also the amount of plants you need.

Magician said......Hi Shadey, I so wish I had room like you :)

I could see myself becoming very obsorbed into the hobby,  having the room to do what you want with veg and flower even being able to walk into the same room the plants are in would be a luxury.

Anyhoo I hope all goes well with your grow " I think it will you know allot "

I have attached a few pic's, I have small buds (hurray) :D

what do you think, very close to  4 wks  (26th Sept) in flower. worried about the light though it's to close, and I cant do any more.

Have a good day, in your garden,

23_9_17.JPG

23_9_17.JPG

23_9_17A.JPG

23_9_17B.JPG

Edited by Shadey

Hi LabRat, thought I would drop you a line, haven't spoken in a while, I hope all went well with you, and your travels.

are you moving ?  have you moved ?

did you get a better job?

• Upvote 1