Unregistered

Crowded and too tall

29 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Unregistered said:

..so much of the common-wisdom on the 'net ends up boiling down to that sort of thing. We are all really just guessing.

That's very true.

Most strains today developed for indoor growing are very hybridized and acclimatized to accepted standards for indoor production which includes a 12/12 photoperiod for the bud cycle (I doubt many of the large scale growers and breeders are playing around with light cycles).  I think attempting to match the environment the parents were grown and bred in would help me max potential better than trying to match the environment to their genetic lineage.  But that's just me.

On 2017-07-15 at 8:38 AM, frmrgrl said:

That's very true.

Most strains today developed for indoor growing are very hybridized and acclimatized to accepted standards for indoor production which includes a 12/12 photoperiod for the bud cycle (I doubt many of the large scale growers and breeders are playing around with light cycles).  I think attempting to match the environment the parents were grown and bred in would help me max potential better than trying to match the environment to their genetic lineage.  But that's just me.

Ya. I'm still considering that a strong argument for 12/12, and the best option if there are no other considerations (at least until I do a few side-by-sides ;) ).

I am a bit skeptical (maybe even hostile) about taking leads from the "large scale" crowd - they are Agribusiness. Profit is just too powerful a motivator to trust that they are working towards the same goals as I; and even if profit isn't #1, just having staff relying on the crop changes the equation to favour quantity over quality. I also would not expect them to give away any trade secret-like discoveries if they did find that tweaking things like photoperiod had real effects, or have any motivation to dissuade others from venturing down dead ends.

19 hours ago, Unregistered said:

at least until I do a few side-by-sides ;)

That's what makes growing weed fun :leaf:.  

I personally think, given the decades that Cannabis has been grown indoors (and at least casually studied), if there were any magic hidden in photoperiod manipulation, we'd already know about it.

I can understand your stance on big agribusiness; just keep an open mind, you might find some good practices that can be adapted to your situation.

Took down the taller Thai Lights...

DSC_3309-2000.jpg

...4 bundles of 5 or 6 branches + the top, very leafy, but there are fairly dense and resinous buds buried under all the foliage...

DSC_3310-crop.jpg

...2.2g of bud from the tip of a thin branch, the tops and larger branches are looking a bit better (another day or two until they dry).

The amount out not-quite-fan-nor-sugar leaf kinda sucks, the smoke itself is pretty good though and may have even upped the bar for the LP a bit. This was the first pick when I went looking for seed for the pot I was smoking 30 yrs ago and I'm a bit surprised at how close it is to the memory: a bit more earthy and a little less spicy, with a touch of citrus, but the same basic taste; texture is about right (small leaves and bracts feel thicker, meatier than is typical); and there is a familiar yellow-gold color already showing through the green.