frmrgrl

Kali Spice x C99

9 posts in this topic

The gloves are soaking in alcohol now.  I really dislike harvest day, but the aroma gets me through it:cool:

IMG_2876.thumb.jpg.a500671449547a74f14f76e4a43fd18a.jpg

IMG_2870.thumb.jpg.28f76b8a06d163fd2a7a8589ccfe3533.jpg

IMG_2865.thumb.jpg.5562d80b18911319eb4bb437950a04da.jpg

IMG_2866.thumb.jpg.3b0929db5051f1643b995560c687d107.jpg

very nice, great pictures.

Really nice looking buds frmrgrl!

I don't use gloves when cropping.  I put a little dab of coconut oil on my fingertips and once it soaks in it's not oily at all and resin won't stick to your fingers.  I'm also careful to handle the the buds by the stem end so I don't damage the trichs on the buds.  That being said I'm also using a TrimPro Unplugged now that beats the crap out of the buds but saves a ton of time and effort.  You try putting the gooey gloves in the freezer to easily get the resin off?  I've never tried it but have read that's what others do.

:peace:

On 2017-05-06 at 3:00 PM, LabRat said:

...coconut oil on my fingertips...handle the buds by the stem end...

Hmm, that should work on tools as well.

I don't get my fingers very sticky because I leave the nice long stems seen in the 2nd pic, and have cross lock tweezers to hold stemless buds. Hanging the plant and largest branches to dry instead of harvesting buds also helps, less handling and it always seems stickiest at harvest time <shrug>.

:bigleaf:

Thanks!

I also hold by the stems, but my fingers inevitably get sticky from wiping the debris from the resin coated scissors.

I'm sure the coconut oil thing works well, but it won't for me.  Everyone has their idiosyncrasies, I can't stand oils, lotions, waxes, etc on my skin.  But I can't believe I never thought about dropping the gloves in the deep freeze because I often wonder about how much nitrile I may be inadvertently dissolving with multiple day soaks in 90% ethanol.  Thank you!

I have no idea what a trimpro unplugged is, but I can't imagine a power trimmer that leaves trichs undisturbed.  I only have 1 - 2 plants at a time these days, so I can't rationalize buying a power trimmer.  In my head, the 1 - 1.5 hrs of tedious harvest work is offset by the 3 - 4 months of fun getting the crop to harvest.

I'm not big on using oils and lotions on myself either but it doesn't leave that oily feel and just a tiny dab rubbed in disappears and there is almost no resin to clean off when you're done.  For the scissors I cut a piece of paper towel about 4 x 1" and fold it twice then put a bit of coconut oil in the fold.  I have an old, small pocket knife that I use to scrape the goo off the blades to save for toking then wipe the blades down with the oiled paper towel then wipe with the dry part of the pad to remove any excess.  Stuff works like a no-stick frying pan and is a great solvent for the resin so no scrubbing required.  My 20 year old fiskars still work great tho the newer ones are nicer.

The Trimpro I got is the hand cranked version of their original powered model and unfortunately beats the crap out of the buds but they get trimmed up pretty good.  The original owner cut 4 big holes in the bottom of the catch pan so it could sit on a pail for larger amounts of trim to fall thru into a pail.  I checked the website and a new pan is $200 for crying out loud and it's just a bowl made out of fiberglass or carbon fiber.  Stupid machine doesn't fit properly on a 5 gal pail so I'm not sure what the guy was thinking and you'd have to do a pounds worth of bud to fill the pan.  He traded it in at the hydro store for a $3000 powered trimmer as it wasn't fast enough for his liking.  Oh well his loss was my gain as I got it for 1/2 price and it's like new other than the pan.  $600 retail so $300 to me.  My hands cramp up so bad from the arthritis when I do fussy jobs like tie my shoelaces so you can imagine what trimming does to them.  Worth every penny to me.  Just snip the bigger leaves off the buds and separate them from the stems breaking up the colas then put about 2 cups worth of shaggy buds in, crank for about a minute first one direction then the other and they are done.  With the crop I have coming up it'll pay for itself right away.  The last crop only yielded about half a pound and I expect 4x that at least this time.

If I want bag appeal I'll hand trim some but the buds look OK to me out of the machine.

unplugged-big.jpg

:peace: