Shadey

I think I am ready to Start

The 4 flower girls, maybe 3 and a (politically correct) transgender now :( . 3 are definitely girly with little white hairs popping out the tops of their little buds. The tall one at the back is a no show ATM with 2 weeks into flower tomorrow. Had some high heat and RH this week which stalled the growth rates, part of me thinks good they wont go through the roof of the tent the other part of me worries they wont get much bigger lol. Stripped off some of the big fan leaves down below, to let the light in, I may take some more off this week as well, not sure how far to take it, suggestions welcome. The fungus gnats are getting worse, I think I will stick some sand on the soil tops to make it harder to lay eggs.

Right some pics for last week.

38.thumb.JPG.faebafbbef38797d26531240047fd292.JPG

39.thumb.JPG.f45e9bbc6b2afd9513353f572608e823.JPG

My little Alfalfa cover crop starting to kick in.

40.thumb.JPG.9e151e679fe69a0f628ad0f7e63fa740.JPG

Got to remember to turn off the fan and light when taking pics.

11 minutes ago, Unregistered said:

Hmm, will ground cover help keep the fungus gnats under control?

No it wont, as its now buried under a half inch of sand, but it will feed the worms :) 

40 minutes ago, Shadey said:

No it wont, as its now buried under a half inch of sand, but it will feed the worms :) 

...and fungus gnat larvae! :D

Are they at problem levels?

If you have lots they will feed on plant roots, but I betcha they will stick to fungi and dead organic matter if not crowded - a few is probably a sign of a healthy soil.

Do they get into the mats in the trays?

2 hours ago, Unregistered said:

Do they get into the mats in the trays?

I have seen a few in the mats since they have dried out a bit, I have probably a 100+ caught on the yellow sticky tabs over the last 2 weeks. I read if you put down slices of potato down on the surface for a few hours it draws them to it and you can remove the larvae that way. I think I am going to get some captain nemo toes, feck the expense.

week 3 of flower. The 3 smaller plants have done nothing this week growth wise other than make the buds a little larger all are showing buds now :). The larger one has grown more but all 4 plants have what looks like K deficiency, but if some one could confirm that with my pics, I would be grateful. Added sand with no salt in to the tops of the pots, and that has helped keep the gnats level down. Nemo Toes from the BC Bug Lady $17 plus $70 shipping so thats not happening. Going to use neem oil which I ordered 3 days ago and hopefully that will eliminate the little barstards. Had a Candida CBD clone given to me to add to the mothers tent which is a great addition to the family said to have around 25-30% CBD content 1-2%THC. Thats going to be grown next when I get to grips with cloning. Started another clone, this time with a humidity dome, 4 days now and its not even wilted so I think thats a good sign I am on the right track. Had 3, 50W full spectrum LED lights turn up this week after ordering 8 weeks ago. Put 2 of them in as side lighting and one for the Candida, which is nearly 3 weeks old now, in the mother tent as that has only 2 75W CFL's lighting it. Given them all some tea this morning to boost them up a bit in the K range with some kelp meal..

41.thumb.JPG.8e96765126e67d63ae78f4d6ed3b010c.JPG42.thumb.JPG.2bbb6a735609be2904f371a5072e69b6.JPG

Here are the leaf pics the biggest plant has it the most the others only a couple of leaves showing.

43.thumb.JPG.c7eb50144baabebdfe498a15f5ab0143.JPG44.thumb.JPG.01e1968cb6332946d4fd47c07a7c3575.JPG

Looks like 2 of my plants cant decide what sex to be, got pollen sacks and buds so they are out of the tent :ban:. Doesn't look like any have opened yet thankfully.

Replaced both with the mothers I was keeping. I have the Candida female clone which will be a mother when bigger, so I may as well germinate one of the Grand Daddy Purple feminized seeds as well, so at least I know all my mothers will be female and not waste my time.

It looks like what I've seen on 4/4 varieties of seeds from one vendor (all three autoflower and the African Buzz), and it also appeared to a small degree on the Thai Lights after they were transplanted into containers previously used for the autoflower plants. I also noticed the symptoms were only appearing on main stem leaves and fan leaves on one or two branches, rather than all over the plant or confined to new growth (the usual patterns of symptoms of deficiency?). I'm thinking my plants have disease, and some bits I've read lead me to believe that infected seed is not uncommon.

If it is disease... I don't think there is much to do beyond taking the best care of them you can. With mine the symptoms disappeared from the autoflowers before they were 1/2-done flowering, and only appeared on a couple sets of leaves on the Thai Lights. It appears to be a mostly cosmetic issue (guesstimating an average yield so far of 500g/m2, which is pretty good afaict), but I will be bleaching my containers between use.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Unregistered said:

If it is disease..

It is only on the main fan leaves and seems to affect only 3-4 leaves on each plant. I checked my water PH yesterday as I know they have been getting plenty of K, I gave them some kelp meal tea on the weekend which did not seem to help much using it as a foliage feed as well as root feed. My tap water PH has dropped from 7.4 to 6.3 so when it comes out of the filter it was coming out at 6.4 but now its 5.2. Its city water so I dont know why it is fluctuating but I will have to keep an eye on it rather than trusting its staying the same ph all the time. So I think its the water ph stopping the uptake of potassium.

Well nearly week 3 flowering for the 2 plants at the back 1 week for the 2 at the front which were my 2 mothers now being used as a replacement. I dont think I want to use them for clones now, as they came from the same bag seeds as the others, which went Transgender on me. Seeing a lot less gnats now but I will still treat the soil with Neem oil as its better as a preventative taking up to 2 weeks to start killing unwanted pests off. Still getting yellow turning brown leaves although watering now at a PH of 6.7 - 7 this week to make sure they are absorbing potassium. They have grown about 4 inches this week, temps and RH being near perfect for them. Started using potassium carbonate in my water to bring the PH up from 5.4 to 6.7-7 this week. It takes very little as the water has a zero PPM. Also using it as a foliage feed to boost the potassium levels quickly while waiting for the soil to change up. Not sure what else I can do for them atm.

45.thumb.JPG.c3ec4f55c9e951fcfc02f04455d7deea.JPG

46.thumb.JPG.99606aacaa085f673704d77e92725b97.JPG

pics of the yellow brown leaves

47.thumb.JPG.8081f172cc101ee9fc33f9efe5f550e0.JPG48.thumb.JPG.7bf984a20312c97744a17edc8f54c09d.JPG

• Upvote 1

Well not looking good now, 1 plant left that has not transgendered yet but probably will, as all the others have. I have learned now, only to use good seeds with known genetics. My 3 Candida clones doing well atm they got a good feed of worm castings and jobes tea yesterday. I will move them into the big tent this week after I clean it all out thoroughly and remove the last plant. Give the big pots a soaking in neem oil to kill off the fungus gnat larvae and grow some cover crops on them while the clones grow bigger and they should be up and running with the micro flora when the clones are ready for transplant.

• Upvote 1