notsofasteddie

Highly anticipated pot plans will be made public on Thursday

7 posts in this topic

Highly anticipated pot plans will be made public on Thursday

It could be legal to carry up to 30 grams of marijuana under bill to be tabled Thursday

By Catherine Cullen, CBC News 
Posted: Apr 10, 2017

50915790dw017-rally.jpg
Legislation to legalize the recreational use of marijuana is expected to be tabled on Thursday, with a goal of legalization on or before July 1, 2018.
(Donald Weber/Getty Images)

When marijuana becomes a legal recreational drug in Canada, the Liberal government wants Canadians to be able to hold up to 30 grams without fear of running afoul of the law, Radio-Canada and CBC News have learned.

That is just one of several details about what will be included in the federal government's marijuana legislation, which is expected to be introduced on Thursday, according to a senior government source.

Other elements that will be contained in the upcoming bill include:

■Introducing penalties for selling cannabis to minors and driving while under the influence of marijuana — both of which were contained in the Liberals' election platform.

■Rules that will set limits on how marijuana products are marketed, which are expected to be similar to the limitations on alcohol and tobacco.

■Funding for a public awareness campaign.

■The approval of roadside saliva tests to detect drug use.

Drugged driving presents a particular challenge. The cannabis task force noted that roadside tests to determine whether a driver is impaired because of pot use are still in development. Public Safety Canada has been working with police in several cities to run pilot projects on different roadside detection tests.

As CBC News has previously reported, the Trudeau government's goal is to make legalization a reality in Canada on or before July 1, 2018.

Legalization was a Liberal campaign promise in the 2015 election campaign. Both as Liberal leader and later as prime minister, Justin Trudeau has pitched to Canadians that legalization will make it harder for young people to access pot and will take profits away from organized crime.

It's expected the government will follow a lot of the advice provided by the Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation.

According to recent reporting by CBC News, that will include:

■A minimum age of 18 to buy marijuana, though provinces and territories will have the option of setting a higher age limit.

■Allowing Canadians to grow four marijuana plants per household.

■Licensing of producers, as well as ensuring the safety and security of the marijuana supply, will be a federal concern.

■Provinces and territories will set the price for marijuana and decide how it is distributed and sold.

Much to discuss

Many of those suggestions will be hot topics of debate.

The Canadian Medical Association has suggested the legal age to buy marijuana should be 21, arguing that would limit damage to developing brains.

Home-growing is not a popular subject for the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. That group says it will put added demand on police and make it harder to keep the drug away from children.

Medical marijuana companies have seen their stocks surge and sometimes plunge along the path toward legalization in Canada.

However, both the chair of the government's task force and the parliamentary budget officer have warned that legalization won't necessarily be a major cash cow for governments, particularly in the first few years.

The prime minister has already suggested that any government revenues from marijuana sales won't go toward fattening the federal bank account. Instead, Trudeau has said the money could go toward addiction treatment, mental health support and education programs.

cbc.ca

Hey 

Thanks for sharing this information with us,  its really good to know that its legal to carry 30 grams of marijuana. Yupiee.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, notsofasteddie said:

■Allowing Canadians to grow four marijuana plants per household.

I am wondering what the costs will be for a license to grow the four plants. Applying for one will take forever, I have been waiting 6 weeks so far, for my Medical Marijuana grow license, and I am not even in the system yet when I called yesterday.

If you get your medical grow permit you don't need to worry about the four plant thing.

The fact that you have to register to grow the four plants and buy your seeds or clones from a "legitimate" source, ie: Legal Producers and no more than a meter in height is total BS.  How the hell do they think they are going to be able to enforce any of that.

Buy a kid a beer and get a max of 1 year but most likely a small fine.  Give the same kid a joint and go down for up to 14 years and a fine.  WTF!?  Child molesters get less than that so how is this protecting kids

None of this is law yet and there's a long bumpy route to the finish line so many things can change from what they are just starting down the path with.

I'd bet money it isn't done on time and will be very much changed when it finally gets done.

:peace:

10 hours ago, LabRat said:

If you get your medical grow permit you don't need to worry about the four plant thing.

I was thinking about the 4 plants per household for my wife as she cant smoke my medicinal marijuana ;) and I would like some recreational to go with my medicinal lol.

The problem the government have is that they have been trying to convince everyone for years how bad this stuff is for you, and now they have to try and justify that when allowing people to use it without making themselves look even more stupid and hypocritical than we know them to be. As for some of these regulations its obvious they haven't a clue how its grown.

I never thought about getting the wife and kid to apply for their four plants but it's just four per household so I wonder how that's going to work when there's a medical patient in the house as well.  I'm sure the government in their infinite wisdom has plans for that scenario already worked out. :D

With almost a century of anti-pot propaganda still working with a lot of ignorant people, judging by comments I've read and heard, it'll be another century before pot is as un-notable as any other herb.  Now a lot of the protest is coming from people with money in the game like it always has been.  Before it was officials and gangsters that fought to keep it prohibited but now it's officials and legal growers fighting against re-legalization to protect their jobs and investments.

:peace:

On 2017-04-22 at 6:48 AM, Shadey said:

I was thinking about the 4 plants per household for my wife as she cant smoke my medicinal marijuana ;) and I would like some recreational to go with my medicinal lol.

The problem the government have is that they have been trying to convince everyone for years how bad this stuff is for you, and now they have to try and justify that when allowing people to use it without making themselves look even more stupid and hypocritical than we know them to be. As for some of these regulations its obvious they haven't a clue how its grown.

I think they are protecting their asses, because they have demonized it for decades (for whatever reason).

If they don't continue the narrative some Poor Mom is gonna sue the government because their kid got messed up and it must be the pot and a lack of restrictions on it to blame, then they are gonna throw up the government's own BS as evidence of how dangerous it is. Sounds like a real mess; with the potential for having the government needing to discredit their own propaganda to win, and maybe opening the door to lawsuits from everyone who wants to claim they've been hurt by the rules based on the BS if they do win.

I have noticed e a slightly different style to the propaganda recently. Instead of straight up nonsense that it is harmful they are insinuating that it may be. They are quick to tell us that brains are still developing up to the age of 25 and use it as justification for restricting access, but don't actually say if pot affects brain development. Then there is the recent TV ad with a concerned mother wondering where to get answers while the ad playing in the background (yes, an ad within an ad) mentions that Cannabis is found in 90%(?) of teens involved in traffic accidents (or some such), not only are they not saying that pot causes accidents they are not even saying it directly.

Their policies are technically stupid, and it would be hypocritical if they did all of a sudden allow unfettered access, but I think they are handling it smartly - they get to avoid some of the potential legal fallout, not explicitly basing their reasons on anything that can be dis-proven, and good luck criticizing them for responding to concerns about young people and dangerous driving.

Now it is our turn... we try to normalize it as best we can, point out that the effects of pot + alcohol is not the same as pot alone whenever necessary, and hope there is no evidence for a fetal or teen pot syndrome, etc. If that scenario pans out the stage will be set for a future government to back further away from restrictive regulations. It has taken decades (perhaps even back to the time when drug companies dumped opium on the unsuspecting public) for the laws and societies attitudes to develop, so it seems reasonable that if we are to dismantle the prohibition it will need to be done in stages.