Shadey

Sohum organic soils

9 posts in this topic

I have just been down to my local garden center looking for some Promix HP and they said that they started stocking Sohum soil last year. I asked what was in it as I wanted something that was very porous with a neutral ph, as the guy was telling me what was in it one of his colleagues came past and said it was amazing stuff for growing marijuana, must have been reading my mind lol. heres a link https://sohumsoils.com/

if anyone has used this or has the time to cast an eye over its ingredients and could advise I would be grateful for any info if you scroll down to the bottom there is a list of 12 ingredients it is supposed to be soil less.

Better be good for the prices they charge.   About twice the price of HP according to their website.

It does seem to come with enough stuff added to likely grow really decent plants through the veg cycle but will need some additives to get through the flowering phase IMO.

If it was available here I'd buy a bag and do a side-by-side grow with a couple clones from the same mother and see how it performs.

:peace:

Cheers Labrat, the guy said it would not be as expensive as the website advertised, it was priced at $33 for the 2 bags last season and he thought it wouldnt be too different this year. I thought it would need something extra for the flower cycle as well from what I am reading and learning on here.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:12 PM, Shadey said:

it was priced at $33 for the 2 bags

?1.5 cu. ft. bags (~ 42L)?  Promix HP goes for $45 per 3.8 cu. ft. bale here.  I switched to FF OF a while back, it goes for $18 per 1.5 cu. ft.bag, although the store owner gives me a $2 per bag break if I buy at least 3.

The biggest difference between Promix HP and this Sohum soil is Promix provides an inert root substrate, and Sohum provides and living mixm teeming with microbial life to encourage and support healthy root growth.  Using chemical ferts in Sohum soil will work, but it'd be a shame because the end result will be better if you work with your soil instead of against it.   I've never used Sohum, but it's made of great stuff.  Big shout out for rock dusts and paramagnetic sands.

This mix will give you the basis for a really good organic grow, but as LabRat mentioned, you'll need some supplemental nutrition.

I use Jobe's Organic Tomato and Vegetable Food granular formula as the base of my nutritional program.  It's an organic 2 - 5 - 3 blend of meals, manures, minerals, and 16 species of beneficial microbes.  An application lasts about 6-8 weeks, but I also keep a tea (1.5 - 2.2 - 1.5) on the shelf and apply it once a week.

If you keep the microherd happy, they'll make your plants grow crazy!  

Thanks frmrgrl, yes I was wanting to keep my grow Organic but did not fancy having to create a mix out of lots of different stuff atm, trying to K I S S. As it looks such a good organic product I would prefer not to add chemicals and keep it organic. Being organic I could collect the leaves from trimming as its growing for either oil or juice. I saw someones post in the juicing section showing people harvesting leaves for juicing whilst the plants were growing and thought that would have to be organic to do that, maybe people are less fussy about what they put in their body, but from my perspective I would want to flush a plant before consuming anything that was not organic. They said it may be a week or 2 before their order arrives so I will wait and get some of this instead of the promix HP.

43 minutes ago, Shadey said:

I was wanting to keep my grow Organic but did not fancy having to create a mix out of lots of different stuff atm, trying to K I S S.

There's a lot to be said for convenience.  Can't get much simpler than open bag, fill container, plant seed/cutting, water.  Do get some supplemental nutrition, whether it's solid or liquid...or both.

46 minutes ago, Shadey said:

Being organic I could collect the leaves from trimming as its growing for either oil or juice.

I'd like to try that, but my dog snatches clippings as soon as I make the cut.  He sure likes 'em!

1 hour ago, frmrgrl said:

Do get some supplemental nutrition, whether it's solid or liquid...or both.

yes I will, I will look out for the stuff you said you use, Jobes Organic or a similiar organic with those nute levels. Your tea is almost a straight 50% reduction of the Jobes are those percentages that critical?

On 4/6/2017 at 4:20 PM, Shadey said:

are those percentages that critical?

Absolutely not.  Neither are the ratios.  A balanced 1:1:1 fert plus secondary and micro nutes and trace elements works very well.  Phosphorous is necessary for a robust and healthy root system, so I feed my plants a "bloom" formula from start to finish.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, frmrgrl said:

1.5 cu. ft. bags (~ 42L)?  Promix HP goes for $45 per 3.8 cu. ft. bale here.

I have just been to the local garden center again to see if they have the sohum soil, which they did. I asked for 4 bags and the lady said, Oh I cant find a price listing for it, so she said I could have it at $5 a bag +taxes :)  I asked for another 4 and she said no problem but if you come back for more it may be more expensive, I said, I think you can guarantee that it will be lol.