highroller

Schizoeffective and medical Cannabis

15 posts in this topic

Anyone know of any doctors or medical cannabis clinics that would consider prescribing someone with schizoeffective disorder. I suffer from severe insomnia due to the schizoeffective disorder, and cannabis is the only thing that works for me. I have smoked weed  for a long time now I just wish I could get a prescription and permit to grow my own under the acmpr or what ever their new scheme is called. Because I cannot afford nor do I trust street dealers.  I find it completely B-S that because of a couple studies that came out linking schizophrenia to cannabis use that we are all denied access even though some of us find a deep sense of relief from the plant. I have been a major advocate for medical marijuana my whole life. And now because of my diagnoses every doctor I have asked says not a good idea without even asking me what relief I have gained from it over the years. Also I suffer from depression ADHD and the above mentioned insomnia.

Any help please! 

I tried for 10 years with about 5 doctors up here in n. Alberta and finally got a doc in BC last August to sign me up for 8g/day.  I had wandered into a compassion club in Kelowna that had recently opened just to check it out and the owner told me about the doc I saw twice.  No charge and he just billed my Alberta medical for 2 unspecified visits.

I had to fill out a short form the first visit and then a much longer one the next visit explaining the medical conditions I had and the various treatments that I had already tried to alleviate them.  I didn't have to supply any documentation from my home doctors nor did I request a specific daily limit.  I was hoping for at least 5g/day so was quite happy with 8.  He just handed over the original document and sent me on my way.  I didn't see him make a copy of it but he might have.  Inside I felt like doing a :happydance:  but for a guy complaining about serious joint pain I didn't think it was prudent at the time so saved that for later.  I went straight back to that club and scored me some legal pot!

One of the docs here that I approached about getting signed up told me he did his residency at a mental hospital in South Africa and most of the people in there were made insane by pot so that's why he wouldn't sign me up.  I asked him if he ever considered that they may have started using pot to quiet the voices in their heads but he wasn't having none of that.  He's the same one that told me my blood test showed no signs of inflammation yet prescribed me a 3 month supply of Arthrotec.  An anti-inflammatory that hurt my guts so bad I quit after the 4th pill.

If there are dispensaries or compassion clubs in your area I would try them for info.  I think one has opened here in Edmonton or Calgary but they are 5 and 8 hours away from me.

Good luck.

:peace:

Thank you LabRat! I am in Ontario so Edmonton and Calgary are to far west for me. There are quite a number of dispensaries in Toronto maybe I should make some calls and see if they know of a good doctor.

I still feel like it is unlikely that any doctor will sign for me. But I am going to keep trying. There are many studies being released claiming CBD is a great antipsychotic and 1 study saying CBD may actually reverse psychosis. 

Gw pharmaceuticals is also working on a CBD medication for schizophrenia. I heard there study was in phase 2 trials in 2015 I think it was. So it is an exciting time for me hearing these new studies. As well as Harvard releasing a study stating that there is actually no link between cannabis use and schizophrenia. 

I'm wondering if I should try a Skype doctor on an online cannabis clinic? Wondering if that would work or like LabRat says a dispensary may just have the answer I am looking for. I guess I will make some calls and see what I can find out. Peace

If you have the money then a Skype doc or something like that may work but make sure they are prepared to give you an original document and not foist you off to an LP to get stuck buying gov't approved, chemically sprayed and irradiated pot.  Many of the pay doctors are getting kickbacks from LPs to con you into buying from the LPs or try to con you further by charging you a lot of money to fill out the application to grow your own once you have the doctor's approval.  The application to grow doesn't need a doctor or anyone else to fill it out or sign it.  You do need the original document from the doctor to apply with tho unless the clinic that signs you up is legit about sending one in to Hellth Canada on your behalf.

Make sure you ask about all that and carefully read anything they give you to sign.  Question everything or be quiet and become a victim of authority!  I would still try the dispensaries first but try the smaller guys and compassion clubs as many of the chain dispensaries are not much better than the LPs IMO.

I had some notarized copies made so I can have one in the car, hanging on my wall here in the man-cave and a couple of spares.  The original stays in my safe until such time that I decide to apply to grow but I doubt I'll do that.  I don't want to have my name on the gov't hit list in case they decide to make home growing illegal which I doubt they would be able to do.

I would say that everyone should boycott LPs but for many people that's their only source and I'm not going to pass judgement on another's suffering or need.

I made a big deal about wanting to use hi-CBD pot in edible form to my doc and maybe that helped getting approval and a higher limit but I don't know for sure.  He also commented that he liked not having to spend any time instructing me on how to use the pot as he figured I knew more about it than he did. :)

Mmas.ca will get you where you need to be. Cost you, though. 

Hi guys, I have been lurking around the last month absorbing some great info, I guess I am lucky as I was asked by my Doc if I would consider using medical marijuana for my neuropathic pain and sleep problems caused by it. I was surprised to say the least and tried not to have a big grin on my face. Although I have used marijuana for the last 35 years on and off (stopped for 5 years while our application for emigrating to Canada was being processed)  I told him I had considered it and actually had been given 30 grams by a buddy of mine who is ex military and has similar problems plus ptsd. He asked how it worked for me and how long did it take to use it up. I said it certainly put me to sleep well and that pain was reduced significantly I said as it was 25% THC it lasted 3 weeks, I use it daily but 30 grams lasted me 7 months lol. He said he would send me to the cannabinoid medical clinic to see if I was a good candidate.

Before I attended the medical clinic I had a long questionnaire of drugs and alcohol I have used and amounts I am currently taking, medical history about psychological problems, pain levels and any criminal  convictions ect, I also had to take a urine test. The questionnaire was not well  thought out and ambiguous, so it made me think they are not really interested in getting real answers just making it look like they were trying to do clinical analysis. I have a deep mistrust of government and its organizations ( currently dealing with workers compensation for this this pain I am experiencing) as well as pharmaceutical companies.

I was interviewed by the weed doc as I call him, he was not interested in my criticism of the questionnaire and its ambiguities, I did manage to get a wry smile out of him though lol. He said I was a good candidate for MM and said that the synthetic would be a good choice, I said NO!! no way and stood up, saying I was not interested in big pharma crap lol.He said, that it was ok but if I wanted the real thing then he would start me off on 1.5 grms a day up 15% THC and unlimited % of CBC, I inquired to what the piss test was for and he ignored the question and sent me next door to see his colleague who would guide me through my choices of medication. I was told that unless I knew who I wanted to use now it would cost $40 plus $15 for another piss test to come back and let them know who I wanted to use, apparently one of their rules for using them, like I had a choice lol. So I went with their supplier Cannimed, I was also told if I didnt use their choice it may take up to 6 weeks to get me on someone elses system. .

I was ecstatic thinking my MM was going to be free, paid for by my medical insurance, that bubble was burst as soon as I contacted my medical insurance people :( I am seeing the weed doc again tomorrow to apply for a grow license as I cant afford $360 a month for 1.5 grms a day as I am currently not able to work and getting no help from workers comp. I sent them the first months costs to see if they will pay it, I am not holding my breath lol. So thanks for the info LabRat I will just ask the weed doc to hand over the original doc and do it myself. I have a feeling he will make some excuse, if he does I will probably grow it anyway but would like it to be legal as I am only a permanent resident and can be deported for criminal behavior.

I used to be a psychotherapist in the UK prior to coming to Canada. I would have to say Highroller that psychological problems from my experience are not caused by Marijuana. The person already has the problem, marijuana merely makes the person more aware of their symptoms, just like meditation does or anything that has a psychoactive affect. People who use lsd, mushrooms, ayahuasc, weed, all experience at some point paranoia fear and anxiety. These feelings come to the surface from our unconscious caused by trauma usually in the formative years of our lives. Research is also showing that some types of fear come from memories stored in our genes as well. Unfortunately most people are not aware of this or that they are suffering from psychological neuroses because they develop strategies to avoid and ignore them. Our subconscious is constantly trying to distract us from these repressed events and when we take marijuana it opens doors to these closed of areas in our unconscious and allows us to be either more aware of our internal anxiety's or more anxiety to be released due to our muscles relaxing, emotions are stored in our muscles. Marijuana slows us down, makes us think introspectively, and alters our brainwave frequencies to more therapeutic states. Either way marijuana is made to be the bad guy for this happening due to ignorance and deliberate deception promoted by the pharmaceutical industry.

I hope you find a sympathetic doc soon Highroller.

High Shadey and  that was a great post to open up with.  Welcome to CC!

That was the kind of scam I was talking about alright.  Next time you see your regular doctor ask him how much of a kickback he gets from the pot doc.  Maybe not if you want to keep him as your main practitioner. lol

If they've already sent off your paperwork to Cannimed there could be hassles getting the original papers for you to apply for a grow license.  In the meantime they will try to sell you "starting materials"  so look for that question on your grow application.  Some people are waiting more than 3 months to have their application dealt with and the slightest mistake will have it sent back to be fixed then more waiting.  It's really not that hard a form to fill out and I'm sure you'll be able to handle it.

I could have used a Skype doc or something similar over a decade ago but refused out of principle.  It was $400+ to get the medpot form filled out and the same or more for the grow app.  Hell, in Alberta here it's $160 to get the doc to fill out the little bit needed to apply for provincial disability and like in my case you can still be refused.  Trying to come up with that $160 is hard when you have zero income.  The federal disability is limited to paying the doc $65 but at least they do the paying and the patient pays nothing out of pocket.  I got approved for the federal but not the provincial.

Hopefully once they roll out recreational they use some of the tax money to supplement the medicinal users so they get it at minimal cost or free like most of the pharma drugs you can get on your medical.

Good luck with yours! :pass:

Thanks for the welcome LabRat and the advice, I did check out the supplies part but you have to go through Health Canada not the doc to get any seeds legally. I looked up different suppliers and had a couple but they were not needed by my weed doc. He just handed over a new prescription with a higher %THC and said send that to them. At first he said it was a long process and he wasn't sure what forms I needed. As soon as I said I had all the forms with me, he said, no its OK I think they are on my other computer he went out, came back 30 seconds later with the form and filled it in. I thought it was going to be a problem as while I was waiting, a woman with whom I was speaking with before and after her appointment said that she had asked him about growing her own and he told her it was a long, difficult, drawn out process to get the license, so she capitulated and said she wouldn't bother. I corrected her misgivings and bad advice from the weed doc and she said, she would check it out online. So I am just about to post this form off and hopefully soon I will get a license. One thing I learned from the woman I was speaking to that if you spend more than $600, I think that number is what she said, you can claim 65% back on your taxes when you get them done :)

Spend more than $600 on what?  Paperwork or pot?

I knew that you had to go thru the LPs to get seeds but there wasn't much on offer and they stole the genetics from breeders to start with.  Plenty of good seeds for sale all over the place anyways.

Hope it works out.

Lol sorry, I didn't make that very clear, pot, not paperwork, more than $600 on medical marijuana and you can claim 65% back against your taxes, so she said. I am booked for my taxes next week, so I will ask them, it will be a bonus if its correct. I have some seeds already but I will buy some from them, to keep it legitimate in their eyes. Not sure what make and model they are but the weed that they came out of was pretty good for me. I germinated 4 out of 4 last year 2 died from over watering as I now know from the wonderful information on here, The other 2 Helen and Jemima  were assassinated by a deer or rabbit it left their mutilated corpses for me to find, but I managed to revive Helen and she ended up about 18 inches tall, with 2 little buds about an inch long lmao.  

Takes time, education and practice to grow decent pot.  Helps if you start with good genetics but that's just a piece of the puzzle.

I've never heard anything about anyone getting a tax refund on their medical pot but I don't participate in the system so haven't looked into it.  Sounds bogus to me.  On another board I do participate in there are a few threads dealing with our system and not a one has mentioned a tax refund.  Just bitch about the lousy pot and the hoops they have to jump through to get it all together.

ALL the legal providers use approved pesticides and fungicides even if they don't have bugs or fungus.  They use them almost right up to harvest time too so there is going to be residue in everything they sell.  A couple of them have recently had to recall a million dollars worth of pot because they used an un-approved fungicide that turns into poison when burned and inhaled.  The authorities basically set any chemical allowed to be used on tobacco plants as OK for pot too so that's what buyers get.  Then they irradiate it before it's packaged up for shipping.  Not my idea of medicine.

To do anything very well takes time, patience, education and a love for what you are doing lol.

The scientists say, that for the average human to master something, takes 10,000 hours. From all the  great info I am getting from your posts you must be getting close to those numbers. I have done lots of different types of work not mastered any yet but getting close on some.

I played at growing in the UK about 30 years ago, no internet so couldn't get any info. Just stuck them in a grow bag outside and watered straight out of the hose, feck nose what ph it was lol. Hit them with miracle grow until they were about 7 feet tall. Problem in the UK they would never bud soon enough before heavy frosts started so we would cut them down and smoke the leaves lol. Best crop was 43 plants out of 57 planted.

I saw the recall, their was an article posted on the Cannimed web site lol, they had a claim posted next to it saying they don't use any pesticides, herbicides or fungicides and all their products are certified free by someone, until they get caught using it lol.I hate having to use it but needs must when the devil drives, I am vegetarian and about 95% organic and I want to keep it that way or better, which is why I want to grow my own then I know exactly what is in it and also save a shed full of money not having to buy crappy weed :)

Update! I found a company called bodystream that are located not far from me. Called them up talked for a bit and asked if i still qualify even with schizo-effective disorder they said i still qualify but the process may be longer. Dont know what that means but she assured me i do qualify i also mentioned my adhd depression and insomnia as well as anxiety. Filled out an 8 question questionaire in an e-mail then was sent to there site to fill out and submit relevant medical history information. Now i am just waiting for a phone call for a appointment at their clinic. I must get a release form for medical history records from my doctor (must give them a signed release form) because my doctor would never sign a referel shes to oldschool and keeps saying marijuana is bad for your lungs and will give you dementia as you get older ya right. I asked at bodystream about growing my own and they said yup we can sign you up to grow your own aswell. And the best part is lift.ca says this company bills to o-hip so bonus. I should be hearing back next week so wish me luck everyone.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.