Trip Yellearton

Buds on a budget

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm asking for advice on my first indoor grow. I have grown outdoor potted with a pretty nice smoke in the end, only a few times and I always used soil from the yard. This time around, I decided to bring the girls inside under 150w led. They were responding nicely until recently. I had them in a Scott organic soil with ewc and have been feeding with Alaska fish fertilizer. They got infested with fungus gnats and look to have potash def. I did a full transplant on all 5 plants, using Kellogg organic soil, ewc, and a layer of sand on the bottom and on the top of soil. I added earth juice bat guano 0.8.0. It's been a couple hours and they don't seem to be any worse off. My questions for those that would care to drop some knowledge, where can I get inexpensive suplemental light and am I screwing up or what can I do to make it better without spending a grip of cash?

High Trip

Could add a few CFL lights cheap enough or some T-8s or T-5s.  The extra light can be on the sides of the plants.

You want to look for 6500K lights for vegging, (Cool white, daylight types), and around 2700K for flowering, (warm white, Warm Deluxe).

If your plants are sitting in drain pans you should water from the bottom so the top of the soild stays dry to help get rid of those gnats and get some yellow and/or blue sticky traps to catch the adults before they can mate and lay more eggs.  Gnats often come from bags of soil so get those far away from your grow space.

Good luck and good growing! :pass:

:peace:

Lab Rat, thanx for the input. I was thinking of throwing in another couple LEDs on the sides..I don't want to go with bulb on account of electrical consumption and heat. I live in San Diego. The temp and humidity are phenomenal pretty much year round. At this point I'm hoping the stress don't kill the babies

A lot of guys are buying those LED light bulbs and cutting the dome off them to expose the LED chips.  Still need some sort of fixtures or those sockets with the prongs on the back so you can plug them into power strips and make a cheap LED light strip.  Who says stoners have no imagination eh. :)

It's pretty hard to do a good indoor grow without investing a bit of cash.  Depends on what you want tho.

Get a ph meter. Test liquid going in and coming out. I like a good built soil. Ewc, kelp, guano, greensand, insect frass, those will do you well.

Welcome to cc, Trip:cool:.  As the others mentioned, it'll take some cash to set up a good indoor grow space.  You bought a 150W LED fixture, you must be fairly serious about moving indoors.  I have to tell ya, the weather indoors is a whole lot more consistently conducive to growing high quality MJ.  And the chance that an unkind person finds the treasure is much less.  Supplemental side lighting as LabRat described will go a long way toward producing more compact plants, and being able to measure pH like OG mentions will go a long long way in helping you determine how to handle nutritional problems.

Just my $.02 here... It depends on what your goals are, but with 5 plants and a 150W LED fixture, I presume you're at least a moderately serious grower looking for at least a QP per harvest, which is possible with 150W full spectrum LED.  Most of the 150s I've seen list their core (flowering) coverage at about 2-3ft x 1.5ft.  In order to fit 5 plants in that space, they're going to have to be in small containers, like a gallon or so which limits yield to some degree.  I personally think you'd produce more this time around without spending a cent for lighting if you pared the plant count down to 1 or 2, and train the branches to expose more bud sites to high energy light.  The individual buds are smaller, but overall yield goes way up.

I transitioned from 400W HID to 300W full spectrum LED a while back, and as a rule, flowered 4-5 plants in 3 gal containers.  From my short-lived experience so far, it is my humble opinion that 300W is marginal for that situation.

Does the grow space have good air flow?