Grow_Wizzard

Crackin some old crosses.....?????

42 posts in this topic

I've been playing around with some old genetics from around 2010 -2011 that were just in a baggie in the drawer in the bedroom. They weren't exposed to high temp fluctuations, most of the beans looked good, tiger striped, hard, nice shine to them so I thought no problem.

Back in October I put some in paper towels on top of the fridge kept moist and after 3 weeks not even 1 cracked. I thought OK, must be some bad beans too old... Then I started to do some research on starting old beans. Most common was to use 120 grit sandpaper and put it in a bottle and shake the seeds so they get skuffed up a bit. Tried that along with soaking the beans for 24 hrs. in water with a little Hydrogen-peroxide. After 24 hrs put them in moist paper towels on top of the fridge. 3 weeks still nothing cracked. Again thought bad beans.

More research and just did 3 different crosses I made around the same time frame as above. This time I put a little honey (carbs for the beans) and a couple pinches of a vitamin / mineral powder to give added minerals and used a triangle file and skuffed up the outer shell of the beans. Just put those to soak.

All of the previous beans went into dirt pots paper towels and all... From what I've read, those beans I've gave up on may actually be viable and come warmer temps I may actually get some starts from those. I would love to get some of those genetics a lot of ISM genetics are in there.  So we will see how things go... Hoping these beans at least crack and start. Comments or suggestions more than welcome...

Hi GW. I've never heard of the honey and vitamin trick. I had to shut my grow down for about 5 years a while back. When I started back up my seeds that had been stored in an air-tight jar in my grow space (not refrigerated) would not sprout. They were about 6 or 7 years old. I did get 5 of them to sprout out of about 100 seeds that I soaked. I tried the sand paper trick and soaking. It was very frustrating. Then dammit, I ended up with all 5 girls. Just my luck... Had to purchase a new pack of AK47 at $115US for 11 beans. Ouch!

A few months back I did a successful pollination of 2 plants from the original pack of AK47 seeds. I used a small clone sent to flower in an 8" pot just for breeding. It was pollinated and appeared to have many seeds when I harvested and jarred it up. After about a week of seeing the specially marked jar every day when burping the jars from that harvest, the seeded weed jar disappeared. MY wife's grandson has been living with us and I have to lock up everything now. Pissed me off big time. 

Just not having good luck with my seeds :( All I have now is some Afghani regular seed made from some freebie seeds and some THC Bomb which the strain turned out to be too sativa dom for my liking. Maybe I can cross the two and see what happens.

gw always nice to see you my friend ..we dids some dirt throwing back then , didnt we ..hope you can get those to crack for ya..they are still some of my faverites ..i have tried the sandpapper in the bottle method with some luck on old beans..but the soaking over nite and paper towel method i use still every time i start new beans ..i think i may have a cpl of those you gifted me ..i will clean my dresser draws out and see if i still do and toss them in some water and see how they do .

.i,ve been indoors for awhile now and only get a plant outdoors when i can ..not anywere near what we used to do ..i cant even smoke or vap anymore with my copd ..i still eat a ton of weed tho ..and mommas always steping out to fill her lungs ..those were some great strains ..just wished i had taken the time to be better at making more of them ..

right now i am running strawberry cough .kind of funny considering the copd and all..lol and critical..i have some long winded hash bomb seeds i grow a cpl every now and then .about 16 weeks indoors...i've been buying beans from msln ..i had a cpl white lsd fems they sent when i bought the last order about a yr or so ago ..i had a nice 2liter soda bottle size bud from one of then ..the buzz was just ok but the plant went right into bud from germ ..it was crazy ..i had plants under 24 hr straight in my tent and it never seen a minute of darkness before harvest ..theres a pic on here somewere of it ..plant was about a 28 inches tall and i got 2 zip off it ..

well i hope you have a better go with the new method and warmer temps ..

good luck .. i'll be watching to see how you make out ..

weedmen

Last time I grew some Lone Star Blue Heaven, (L.S.D. x Blueberry both from Barney's farms 8 years ago). I had 13 seeds and just tossed 4 in some water like usual.  They were 5 years old.  They cracked but the tips of the tails just turned brown.  Never had that happen before.  I skip the paper towel and put them in small pots once they crack in water and get a little tail.  Tried 4 more, same thing.  Lined a pill jar with 150 grit, put in the last 5 and shook gently for a full minute then put them in fine ProMix and 4 sprouted and grew fine.  Do all my seeds like that now and about to sprout a bunch.

Made a smoothie a couple hours ago and tossed in a level Tbsp of old left-over trim that I'd made dry sift with a year ago.  Glad I only drank half of it! :dizzy:

:peace:

Ganjajuana, sorry to hear you had to shut down your grow. I know you like your AK47's but if you need some different genetics I know someone who could get you some. I was surprised to see the adding nutes to the soak water. But it makes sense to me. The thread I read said to use molasses, I didn't have any so I thought honey would be a good substitute. It also said they used kelp for the minerals. I have kelp but not sure where the boss (wife) has it stored. So many jars of herbs, I saw a powdered mineral and vitamin can an thought that would work, we will see.  Also sorry to hear your beans got gone... I would be fuming... Me and the grandson would have a come to Jesus meeting...  We always seem to keep doing what we do... And with so many states going legal it's making things a lot more interesting. Glad to see you still riding the short bus in here....hahahaha..

Weedmen, Sorry to hear you can't burn any more flowers. Make a ton of oil and eat the oil, take it sublingual too. Of course I like that you eat a ton of it. that is good for you too. Yea did a bunch of dirt and pollen throwing back then. And this place was jumping, heck I had a million hits on the 2010 outdoor thread... Wonder how many of those were Alphabet agencies...hahaha... That 2 liter plant reminds me of the Juans, man I miss that strain.. I have a ton of crosses but no originals. One day I would like to take all of the Juan crosses and germinate them see if any of those are auto's.. Have to build a room to do that stuff...

Just wanted to add a bit to the research I've done. A lot of the research says to store your beans for long term keep them air tight and put in the freezer. For this last batch off beans I put 4 strains in the freezer for about a week, 2 days before I started them they went into the fridge. The day I popped them they went into a cupboard until I messed with them about 10-12 hours. Then made some of the soak mixture, honey and vitamin / minerals added to the mixture. Soaked for about 24 hours. 10 seeds from each of 3 strains, Amazon X Afgoo Purple Berry Diesel, Island Madness X Afgoo Purple Berry Diesel, and Blue Berry. Took a triangle file and skuffed the shells and put them to soaking. All but 4 beans sank in the soak. 3 of the ISM X APBD and 1 Amazon X APBD.

I saw a new method that I'm trying so we will see if this works.

300x300.jpg

Take a sponge, I cut it in half, soak it good and then wring it out so it's just damp.

300x300.jpg

Put the sponge in a container with a lid, beans on the sponge and then put the other half of the sponge on the top, (both sponges were soaked and rang out).

Put the lid on the container. Now the method I saw says you put these containers into a bigger plastic container with a aquarium heater and water so these continers float in the big container of water heated to 76 degrees. Supposed to get 80% + germination rate from this.

I just stuck the containers on top of the china hutch near the ceiling to keep a good temp in the upper 70's to low 80's We will see what goes. I have all the old aquarium setup from raising angel fish wwwwaaaaayyyyy back when so if need be I can get the 5 gal out with heater and such but I think they will pop fine... As always comments and questions welcome... Glad to see everyone, and if you are lurking, hey say something, add to the site... Peace all...

Hey Labby, ya snuck that in on me... Since October I've probably tossed outside about 100 beans of different genetics. From what I've read in researching many may still be viable just didn't give them enough time. I thought if they didn't crack in 3 weeks they were done. Read somewhere where people have kept them for about 2 1/2 months and had them sprout... All the old beans went into pots and labeled just in case..... This spring I may have so many plants I don't know what to do with them all.... Oh what problems.....hahahaha. Glad to see you are still keeping this place hopping...

I'd be afraid of mold Wiz.  A dash of peroxide in the water you soak the sponge with might be a good idea.  Likely won't be a problem tho and good luck to ya.

Not liking this new format much since the upgrade.  Shit don't work like it used to.  Had a newer member in the chat last night started hitting me up for pot.  Warned him but he kept it up so flagged him as a spammer and he was still able to use the chat.  Went into the AdminCP, banned him and deleted the account and he was still able to piss me off in chat.  Guess until he logged off he was able to do stuff.  Wasn't like that before and I went thru all the settings to see but nothing I could find to shut someone down right away.

I'll hang in for now but if Budder and I quit it's on you pal. ;)

If it's on me this site is in deep trouble.. I'm just hopping in and out of here now and then. Mostly helping cancer patients in a Cannabis Oil group on Face crack... but this site is my roots on posting grows and stuff like that. didn't do a post for this year's grows. Nothing to brag about a few small plants but enough for me and the misses to keep us happy through the year... Just bought 5 acres with a small creek on it... Hoping for some monster outdoors this year...

Good water in your creek?  Sounds nice.  Going to have to toss a few pictures up when you get going.

Happy harvests!

Yep good water and flows year round.. Will get pics up when I get there, lot of work first thing is I need to fence the perimeter...  at least the west property line, cattle ranch to the west...

Free cow pies to add to your compost!  Don't want those critter invading your garden tho.  Surprised the rancher doesn't have that fenced off.  Should see if you can get him to split the cost.

There is a fence at the creek but the property line is about 50' to the west of the creek and most of the fence is overgrown with blackberries. The rancher is leasing the ranch from a middle eastern land owner. But my foot is now in their door so we will see what the future brings...

Well it looks like about 4 blueberry have cracked, and 1 Amazon X Afgoo Purple Berry Diesel... Now hoping for some ISMO X Afgoo PBD to crack..... Excited to reclaim some of these genetics..... When I have tails coming out of them just before they go into their medium I'll take some pics....

So, these seeds going bad after a handful of years... is that unusual? commercial or self produced seed?

I've found that good seed remained 80+% viable for about 10 yrs, after that it seemed to drop off quickly (mostly 60-75F sometimes 4C, airtight storage, wet paper towel in a sandwich or produce-full-of-tiny-holes bag for sprouting). My sample size is kinda small though, rarely more than a half-dozen seeds of one type at a time and probably never more than a couple dozen, total, of any one. That's going back decades and only with better bag and selfied seed - dunno what is coming out of the seedbanks, but got a few dozen last fall.... I'm kinda wondering if I'm going to have a problem with them in a few years.

The last older seed I germinated was late last summer with a 2009 Kush, 3 wetted and sprouted. That's pretty typical for me but I wouldn't have been too surprised if 1 had failed. My worst case was with ~13 yr old seed that would split the shell then run out of energy and die with barely the tip showing; manually removing the shell and watering with an eyedropper worked the few times I tried it - iirc, the seed leaves never fully developed but once the first set of true leaves did the stunted root would take off.

Anyways... I got this 15 yr old seed, selfied in 2001 from SE Asian bag seed collected in the mid-late 80's -  well, ~85% sure that's what it is. :) - so, thanks for the reminder of the hoops I may need to jump through soon.

re: freezing seed

• works well until you thaw them, after that they lose viability quicker than if you hadn't
  • if they thaw and get re-frozen the viability plummets

- Unregistered

Unregistered... The seeds were some a breeder gave me, and some I bread myself, they were kept in baggies in a drawer in the bedroom. They weren't exposed to temperature fluctuations but weren't stored air tight. Originally I had reported from others and my own experience of 90+% germ rate. Even after 2 years.  So I expected these to do about 60-70% germ rate. I was shocked to see 0% germ after soaking in water then into a paper towel, all seeds sank to the bottom of the glass when soaked before going into the paper towel. I've used the same process to start my seeds for years. Don't know why they didn't go this time. Of course many were from 2010 so those are at least 6 years old so I attributed it to age. Heck they might still actually crack and grow, I put all of the paper towels into dirt in pots so who knows, when the temps warm up this spring I may have a ton of seeds popping out of the pots... But I waited 3 weeks before putting them into dirt.

The 15 year old seeds I would do a bunch of research before trying them. find the best way.

Thanks for your input into this...

Well was a bright sunshiney day here in the mid 60's so the boss (wife) and I decided to start some seeds for the garden Onions, Broccoli, Butter Nut Squash, 3 different peppers, Sweet Italian Red peppers, Golden Bell, and Yellow banana. I also put some Ultimate Afghani, OG Kush X Sour Diesel, and some Juan X Salmon, The Black, GDP. So we will see how these do.. These went right into dirt in a tray with a top on the window sill in the front room. They get good morning light and it stays in the 60-70's in the window. I also put some Blueberry Kush in a paper towel in a baggie on top of the fluorescent light of the fish tank.. 

The blueberry from above cracked open and started a tail and it looks like they just dried up. I put those in a cup of dirt in the window sill hoping for the best. Had 1 Amazon X Afgoo Purple Berry diesel that had a tail so it went into a cup too... fingers crossed, tried to take pics but they weren't worth posting too blurry. Must be old age shakes.... hahahaha.... 

Update.... Well the Blueberry Kush had 5 of the 10 beans crack and they went into a cup of dirt, have 3 above ground with the first little leaves not real leaves yet but so far it's the best I've done. Soaked 15 blueberry beans from my stock had 2 crack, they went into dirt. Just finished a 24+ hour soak of 6 Afgoo beans I made years ago, as I was putting them into the paper towel I noticed one had cracked and was starting to push out a tail, it went directly into a cup of dirt in the window sill. Once I have real leaves I'll get some pics... None of the original beans from the beginning of this post have cracked. I'm going to grab some more and get them soaking... I'm not giving up I will get some of these genetics back yet...hahaha

Some of you lurkers, it's allowed to give your $.02 worth... Don't be shy....hahaha

well winter hasnt really shown up here yet in ny ..we had some early snows of a few feet but nothing to bad yet ..its in the 50's here the last few days ..wishing i was starting my garden veggies ..you guys always seem to have the best weather ..

glad to see you are having some luck wiz...those bb you sent me ran great ..altho it was a few yrs ago i ran them lol.the juans are always the ones we liked back then ..hope you get some saved for this yr ..love to see a few of those ladys on their sides spreading their legs ..lol..sounds like the bean pots needing refilled..better hope ya get a male and female from them ..

i have a few hashbomb beans if your intrested ..they are some i bought from msnl last spring ..you are more then welcome to them ..you and i go way back and you have always treated me well by gifting me when times were tough..its the very least i can do ..if you send me a pm . i;ll get right on it ......iam looking into some more strains to get ..catatonic i no is one i really need to get ..also looking into a few others ..any extras you no you get first dibs on ..

well send me the pm if you are intrested buddy ..good luck ,stay safe and keep those eyes red..

weedmen

Weedmen, I appreciate the offer, I've got a ton of beans so no issues there. I got a couple of beans last year from a plant that supposed to be high CBD I think it was like 13% CBD and 8% THC, but until I get them tested I won't know for sure. If they test in that range you are more than welcome to a dozen or so.

I have a bunch of Hashplant crosses that I got from an old guy from this site, got the beans around 2012 -2014 I don't remember his screen name but he did a side by side HPS and LED on his indoor set up. I just put 5 Hashpland X Old School Banana, they slightly cracked when I put them in the paper towel the other day, hoping I get some of these to go too....

I know StealthBush crossed some Juans with Master Kush, he said some of those autoflowered. I'm hoping some of my Juan crosses turn out to be auto's. If there are any good Auto's and I get a male and female auto... We gonna do some auto's..... hahaha. The Juan crosses are big fat dark with a good tiger stripe on them they look real good if I can get them to crack then I'll be happy. Got some Juan X Salmon, the Black, GDP... be interesting. I had a male Salmon X The Black and crossed it with GDP. Grew a male of that cross and pollinated a Juan female. She gave me some good beans...I have a bunch of these.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting......Peace...

Edited by Grow_Wizzard

Well a bunch more seeds soaked and none cracked or started. Put some in a wet paper towel in a baggie put on top of the fish tank light. Still none of these have cracked... Only two scrawney blueberry kush, and only 1 has it's first real leaves.... Time to soak some more...

goodday grow_wizzard-years ago MARC was getting complaints about sativa seeds not germinating.the solution  came down to raising the germinating temp.since it was working on sativa's i decided to try it to my older seeds,it worked wonderfully.now for older seeds i keep my germinating temps in the 85-89F.just to be warned 90+ kills them.

you may want to try this on seeds already soaking just to see if you can coax some life out of the stubborn ones.

wohlandr

wholandr, thanks for the info. I put the seeds into wet paper towels inside a baggie and put it on top of the fish tank light which is just over 80 degrees and that's where I had the ones crack that started. But too many baggies waiting... hahaha

I'm trying to crack some ISM genes right now with no luck so far. I just put the last bunch in paper towel on a heat pad tonight. I tried the rest in soil over heat pad. It's been a week and nothing on those. My beans must be about the same age as yours. 

GBuds, Probably about the same age, I've gone through a ton of beans already. At least I'm getting the gene pool cut back to what will actually start. Sad there are a ton of good strains that won't come back to me... I made a bunch of beans last year, I guess it's time to crack some of those... But who knows, we've had snow, cold, rain, more rain.. A bunch of the beans that I started in Oct and Nov of last year went into dirt pots out in the weather. I may still get a bunch to pop when the weather warms up... I'm trying to get some started early so I can lay down 3' plants in April...

Thanks for the comment. Are any of those you are starting Juans?????

Grow-Wizzard you mentioned aquarium? what temp. do you keep it set at?years ago i had one - and germinated lots of seeds using it. i would use small screw top bottles,

mix 4 cups water,1 teaspoon 29% peroxide,2-3 drops sunlight dish soap.

add water to bottles,leaving 1-1.5" headspace,add seeds,fasten lid,wrap with alum.foil, fasten with a rubber band,and float in aquarium.wait 5 days and check.

fresh seeds pop in 3-5 days,older seed start in about 5-6. i pick out the sprouted seed with tweezers place in medium and give filtered light for the first day and then your off to the races

wohlandr.