midnightMix

Kratky grow

10 posts in this topic

Just put some sprouts in the kratky setup.

It's like DWC but minus the air pump

I'll post photos if they survive the next few weeks

fingers crossed

and yes, this is a medical grow registered with HC

Well things are growing so to speak - the biggest issue I've had so far is that I miscalculated the fertilizer quantities and the plants are stunted and some burnt leaves. I emptied the reservoirs and redid the fertilizers, this time using much less and they are starting to improve and flower now. Will post pictures if they survive to end of flower and detail the equipment and process.

No air pump doesn't sound good to me but hard to tell without pics or knowing what the setup is.

:peace:

4 hours ago, LabRat said:

No air pump doesn't sound good to me but hard to tell without pics or knowing what the setup is.

using this sort of setup as in the following video which works great for most plants (lettuce, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, etc)

Edited by midnightMix

Now I know.

I wouldn't do it but am interested to see how it plays out.

That might work for veggies but they aren't as demanding of oxygen like pot is and its' hard to keep root rot at bay with well oxygenated water growing pot in DWC without cool nute temps so I'm very skeptical.

Good luck and keep us informed please.  I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

Another week or 2 till harvest

so here's a shot of the plant and the roots.

This is a Lowryder, so tiny in general and a good test subject for this project due to the low flower time.

Process

- Bucket or container, the one I used was 6 Litres or so

- 1 Teaspoon of Miracle grow tomato food per 2 litres of water

Cut a circle hole in the lid of the container and put a 6" netcup which you fill with perlite. Soak the perlite and stick your seedling or clone in.

And that is pretty much it, just set it and forget it

The plant in the picture is just shy of 70 days old from seed.

This was a test of the kratky system and now that I see it works, I will try some NL in it and larger netcups.

Kratky Method basically is you put your little plant in and leave it.

As the plant grows it consumes the water/nute solution and as the solution lowers more air becomes available to the roots.

Check google, lots of info

20170128_151822.jpg

20170128_151854.jpg

Edited by midnightMix

it said in the vid this method is best used for leafy plants ..like lettace ..i cant help but wounder how much better this plant would have been with the air and water moving in the rez..i grew dwc for a few yrs ..and when a pump died or a hose got pinched off , it was a big deal ..the plant you have there has alot of nute burn ..i wounder if it might be less, if air or bubbling was there to move the water as well as airate it ..

haha .. i reconise the yellow bucket that cat litter comes in ..tidy cat .. when i grew dwc , i made all my rez's from them ..i painted them black and cut holes in the tops for the netpots ..i had a cpl i grew two plants in ..but the whole bucket would be full with roots and cause them to tangle ..the ones i ran single plants in did much better and they filled the whole bucket with roots as well ..

intresting method . but like lab said i'd prolly not try it without the air..

i would also say that plant needs more then two weeks to finish  but i maybe wrong ..keep us posted ..always love seeing what folks have going on ..maybe your next run , try running one plant this way and one with a air stone running and see what the diffrance is ..

good luck and be safe ..

2 hours ago, weedmen said:

i would also say that plant needs more then two weeks to finish  but i maybe wrong ..keep us posted ..always love seeing what folks have going on ..maybe your next run , try running one plant this way and one with a air stone running and see what the diffrance is ..

sounds like a good idea, I will add an airstone and see the difference

thanks

the guy said in the video the reason it works (with leafy greens and such) is the short grow period. I would definitely NOT try this with a sativa/sativa dom strain. maybe a very short flowering indica. 

yea it was an experiment, the plant lived and was enjoyed. The method works but will try an air stone in the future

:D