Tungee0

New Grower: What should I do here?

18 posts in this topic

Ok, so it's my first time growing, and something came up I felt it would be better to ask what to do.  My first plant started out great, but I think I had it a bit too close to the LED light when it started, and the first two leaves yellowed.  More leaves have grown since, but the original two have gotten even more yellow (and edges were a bit burned).  I'm pretty sure the plant is still savable, but my question is :

Should I clip these two leaves or let them go?  I've read that clipping can help the plant stop wasting energy, but currently there aren't that many leaves and didn't know it was worth it (or more worth it).  I'll include a picture of the plant (shrug it's in a plastic cup till I transfer it because I was one piece of pottery short, the rest are in suitable pots).

So, clip or don't clip?  Thank you for your time and any help you can give.

post-129909-0-12647000-1465341503_thumb.

P.S. In my opinion it looks a more yellow in real life, the picture looks better to me than it really does.

High Tungee0 and welcome to CC!

Leave those older leaves on until they've gone completely yellow as they are still working to help that little plant grow.  The new growth looks like it's coming in fine so those old ones won't matter a bit soon once there is more new ones.  The plant will eventually suck the nutrients out of them and you can pinch them off when they get worn out.

:peace:

Are you providing nutrition?

I am providing a small amount of plant food, highly diluted (~1/10 normal) at this stage.  They are less than two weeks old so they've only had one time being given plant food.

Alright, I thought it might be too soon to clip those leaves.  I read that once they're developed you can clip the more yellow ones to help the plant grow better, but I was concerned that it might not be old enough, at this stage, to bounce back from losing 2 of its 6 or so early leaves.  Yeah, it's just those two, everything else is coming in strong. 

Thank you for the quick response, glad I waited and asked before clipping.

If you are growing in real dirt you may not have to feed at all for some time depending on what's in the soil.

When people talk about new plants not needing any nutrients for the first two weeks or so because the seed held enough for that length of time they are at least half wrong.

In most real dirt, potting soils etc there is probably enough of the basic nutrients to support good growth until the 6th set of true leaves, (nodes), or more but that depends on how good the soil is, pot size and the plant's growth rate.

Drop a seed in a truly soilless mix that has no built in nutrients and by the time the 2nd set of true leaves is starting that seedling will be in trouble. 

The ProMix Veg and Herb stuff with added organic nutes and myco will veg plants great if you keep repotting bigger as the plant grows then you could start feeding good nutes as you are ready to begin flowering.  Needs some coarse perlite added as it doesn't have a lot out of the bag.

The ProMix HP has more than enough perlite and the myco but no nutes at a all so I start with some seaweed ferts at first then start adding some hydro nutes as the get some leaves.

Lot's of mixes out there so it's best to shop around for good, local sources.  Avoid Miracle Grow anything.  Pot doesn't grow well with it.

Pro_Mix_01.jpg

:peace:

Looks hungry to me, but I'd like some more info...

Will you tell us more about the plant food?  What are the NPKs, does it supply any secondary and/or micro nutrients?  The NPKs tell a lot as far as how much you should dilute it.  If they're in the 7-7-7 range or lower, there's no need to dilute beyond what the manufacturer recommends.

Will you tell us more about the grow medium?  (needs more perlite, imo)

Personally, I plant seeds into a fertile medium and supplement with low NPK tea at every watering from day 1.

Edited by frmrgrl

Gotta love that Herb & Veggie mix.

I agree. Stay away from miracle grow soil mixes. Most of them have a micro beed fertilizer and that work on slow release. It will burn seedlings and shock ur plants slightly slowing growth. Then when you add your own nutes it will for sure throw off the balance and burn your plants. The soil contents help retain moisture to the lvl where it doesnt wet & drain properly.The opposite of what your trying to accomplish. Cannabis thrives in well airated soil. Just adding perlite will help you achieve that.

Promix HP is safe choice. Especially organic growers.

Sunshine mix #4 my choice. True blank neutral soil.

Also. Back off the nutrients. Doesnt need it when its that small of a plant.

Less is more.

Overgrow Trump

Back off the nutrients. Doesnt need it when its that small of a plant. 

Less is more.

I don't subscribe to the "don't feed a seedling for several weeks" philosophy because in the natural course of things outdoors, a sprout pops up, and as soon as it begins to develop root hairs it begins to absorb nutrition through them.  If you've ever uprooted a seedling with only 2 sets of developed leaves, you've seen that there is already a fine network of root hairs.

We know nothing about the grow medium, but if it's one of the (primo) soilless media noted, the plant gets nothing in terms of nutrition from it.  As LabRat pointed out, by the time the plant has 2 sets of leaves, it needs supplemental nutrition.  This seedling is working on its 3rd set of leaves, and the first set are turning yellow.  The grower says he's given it a single feeding of 1/10 strength nutrient solution.  The most likely reason for the yellowing is mobilization of N to support new growth.  It's hungry.

If the medium is coco fiber, all I say is "good luck".  I tried it several years ago, and only experienced problematic grow after problematic grow.

The one thing I agree with in the above quote is:  Less is more.

In that, it is always easier to feed again than it is to remedy an overfeeding situation.  When plants are overfed they don't get fat, they die.

I can take that. I guess I was trying to make it simple. Explaining to rookies not to get exited with the nutrients. As he asked if he should clip 2 first round leaves. Big rookie scream. Reading the right timming for feeding is an art. No set day.

From his picture above. In my garden atleast I wouldnt be feeding anything. Sure it has 3 nodes. Starting to develop but still immature. That sprout is maby 3" tall. Not even out of the cup yet.

AN came out with product called noshock. They say you can use it as soon as seed pops its head out of soil line. I dont have experience with it.

I guess this is still the forum of know it alls. What works for me is the only advice I can give. Maby this calls for a grow off??

Overgrow the internet

Been a while since I visited

I guess this is still the forum of know it alls. What works for me is the only advice I can give. Maby this calls for a grow off??

We disagree, so you challenge me with a duel?

Terms?

I freaking love Promix because it keeps my plants properly fed, I find. I still use nutrients but your plant is far away so I'm definitely thinking its the soil that isn't feeding the plant properly. LabRat provided the exact product I use. Oh shit, there's a grow-off happening!

From looking at your plant my diagnosis would be that it is hungry. Needs some nitrogen. When your plants look to the soil for nitrogen and cannot find it, the plant then pulls the nitrogen from the closest place, the lowest leaves. This yellowing will continue until you get it fed. I bought a lot of the promix veg and herb mix, almost a full pallet worth. While it does have some nutrition a healthy flowering cannabis plant would need more than what is in the soil to keep it from experiencing many deficiencies. I would wait till it needs to be watered again and then feed it according to the instructions on the bottle. Most will have directions for seedling etc. Good luck and give us an update when you can.

I'm a new grower myself, having a difficult time getting my seeds to break the surface of soil, got them to germinate and just cracked the shells put them in fafard organic potting mix under a 300w led light 24 to 28 inches away not allot of heat 14 on 10off in a grow tent been one week still nothing. Any suggestions 

asking this in a bunch of diffrent threads is not going to get you help any faster ..look in your other thread ..i answered it for you there..

How wet or moist do the coco pellets need to be? Got a heating pad under the container I'm getting good humidity on the cover

PH? I didn't see anything about PH? also, stop feeding if you are still feeding. that newer growth has some burning going on with with the tips. Also as Lab said, don't clip leaves if they are going yellow. your plant is pulling nutrients from it for a reason just let it do it. 

i agree with og  and with what lab said ..sometimes doing nothing is better then killing them with love..