trichy

What do you pay for electricity?

13 posts in this topic

Is that all you pay or like here in Alberta where there is 2 parts to the bill.

The first part is the actual cost of the electricity which we get from the provider we have now that is fixed at 9.6 cents per kwh maximum.

Then the 2nd part that has charges for distribution and transmission and a couple other minor ones that cost more than the actual cost of the electricity.

Add them together and the cost is more like 20 cents/kwh.

I just grabbed one of our latest bills for a look and the cost of the juice was $116 @ 8.39 cents per kwh while the other fees were $170 for a total of $300 so we're actually paying 21.65 cents per kwh. $15 GST added.

I was living here when Ralph Klein de-regulated gas and electric and the price was capped around 15 cents so they tacked on the other charges to more than double our monthly costs from the regulated price.  Thanks King Ralph for another one of your drunken money-saving ideas that impact the poor way more than you and your oil baron cronies!

Now the new NDP gov't wants to fast-track replacing coal fired generators with nat gas and the cost of that will be passed directly to the consumer so I expect the bills to start getting a lot bigger.  My pot will soon cost as much as what the dispensaries charge. :(

Rip-off rat bastards the lot of them!

:peace:

Is that all you pay or like here in Alberta where there is 2 parts to the bill.

The first part is the actual cost of the electricity which we get from the provider we have now that is fixed at 9.6 cents per kwh maximum.

Then the 2nd part that has charges for distribution and transmission and a couple other minor ones that cost more than the actual cost of the electricity.

Add them together and the cost is more like 20 cents/kwh.

I just grabbed one of our latest bills for a look and the cost of the juice was $116 @ 8.39 cents per kwh while the other fees were $170 for a total of $300 so we're actually paying 21.65 cents per kwh. $15 GST added.

Rip-off rat bastards the lot of them!

thats messed up the fees cost more then the actual electric, even though 8.39 is pretty low 21.65 is absolutely ridiculous. i think the only USA states that compare to those prices are Cali and Hawaii. did you move to alberia from the USA or is alberia where you were born and raised? if you don't mind me asking?

Moved up here to northern Alberta in 2001 from the lower mainland of BC in 2001.  Dumbest move I made in a long time other than buying a house here when I had the cash.  Hate it here but kind of stuck.

Where's Alberia? ;)

Surrey, BC...  8 cents per kWh for the first 650 kWh per month, 12 cents per kWh after that.

I've been pricing out solar though, despite cloud cover and replacing batteries now and then, about 6 cents per kWh (3 cents of that is the battery storage, if you're grid-tied and are allowed to sell power to the grid, you can do away with storage - unless pricing is set by demand, then you actually come out ahead by paying for storage and selling it during peak hours).

It more than pays for itself in the long run, but getting the money up-front, big hurdle for the likes of me.  In the meantime I'm building a wood gasifier to fuel a generator instead of gasoline (said generator being a repurposed lawn mower engine + electronics - one day replace that with Stirling engine, which has the additional benefit of being able to run on any heat source, including sunlight).  Maintenance on the engine and oil changes, combined with free biomass (yard waste, tree falls, grass pellets, so long as I'm one of the few doing this around here the biomass will never run out), works out to around the same, 6 cents per kWh.  Mainly thinking power outages here, as I'm not sure neighbours could handle that engine running all day.  But I do have a dream of going off-grid (well, grid-tied so I can sell excesses, but never draw anything from the grid), and that would be part of the entire energy budget, stand-by power for when solar and wind, etc, aren't enough.

wny alot ..lol not sure exactly . i just looked for our bill and couldnt find it ..i no they have a graph on there that says how much i use compaired to the neighbors.and well they[neighbors] are know were near the amount i use ..lol..almost shaming me into stop growing ..lol ..not really but i figured i should say that ..

10.5 cents per kWh, from wind and solar sources.

I looked into solar panels a year or two ago.  It does pay for itself in the long run...it's just that the run is about 20 yrs long.

Moved up here to northern Alberta in 2001 from the lower mainland of BC in 2001.  Dumbest move I made in a long time other than buying a house here when I had the cash.  Hate it here but kind of stuck.

Where's Alberia? ;)

idk why i thought you said algeria when i first read it... then i typed alberia and idk if thats even a real place lol

10.5 cents per kWh, from wind and solar sources.

I looked into solar panels a year or two ago.  It does pay for itself in the long run...it's just that the run is about 20 yrs long.

Break-even point without batteries is about 7 years here.  With batteries, 14 years.  In some place where they actually get direct sunlight for most of the year, way less...

Economy of scale is making the technology cheaper and cheaper all the time.  Just, not quite cheap enough for my credit rating, so, getting gouged day-to-day instead of a few big (but really less) costs now and then.

Close to 15 cents here, plus the usual crap charges.

If I'm adding right with all charges we're paying just under $0.10¢ per KWH

Rate Type: Residential Service

Basic Service Charge===================== = $11.75
Energy Charge ($0.08508 x 2,384 kWh) ======== $207.83

Electric DSM ($0.00259 x 2,384 kWh))    ========$7.17
Fuel Adjustment ($-0.00233 x 2,384 kWh) ======= -$5.55

Environmental Surcharge (4.780% x $214.20) ==== $11.24

Home Energy Assistance ===================$0.25

Total Electric Charges ====================$ 232.69

I haven't seen it yet but here in California we got some good PG&E (our power company) news. We are in a large commercial building and as soon as we get the proper forms filled out and filed our power bill has a good chance of being moved from the standard commercial rate into an agricultural rate which might be saving us about $10,000 a month. I'm looking forward to see if it really goes through.