Jump to content
frmrgrl

Household LEDs vs CFLs

Recommended Posts

It will only affect your plants if one or more transgender to produce male flowers and pollinate themselves or the other females. So when you put the plants into 12/12 keep a regular check on them to make sure non are producing male as well as female flowers. You should do this regardless anyway when you are flowering just to make sure, never assume everything is OK, because thats when problems happen.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/1 at 8:38 PM, Shadey said:

Its not usually a problem for light leaks in vege as the 18 hours of light period overlaps night time hours outside unless you run your lights on through the night to negate heat problems. Its when they are in flower and the longer dark period of 12 hours overlaps into daytime light from outside. Thats when you are likely to get hermie problems.

 

Pretty helpful my man. :groupwave:    Canabisculture.com will be more popular because of you and your kindness and generosity.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to separate them just keep an eye out for any male flowers on any of them.  If just a couple pick them off but if a plant starts popping them out all over the place then it's got to be removed.  Either flower it somewhere else or kill it and feed it to the pigs.

 

:peace:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you want a diagnosis its best to turn the grow light off and take pics in natural light so people can see the correct colors of the leaves and damage. I would say you have nutrient burn from too much food or to low a humidity causing the plants to drink more water and uptake more food causing he burn. But better lighted pics would help.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hydrogrow710 said:
So sad :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:   Whats going on here ???  Temp issue? :confused::confused::confused: 

Where about on the plant?

new growth, old growth, high up, all over the plant, confined to near the soil, etc...

 

Kinda looks like it was splashed with a fairly strong fertilizer solution which wasn't rinsed off; that'll be my guess if it is near the soil and appears in splotches rather than all around the plant or on all of them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal light pic wold be better and one of the whole plant too.

 

If it's only on a couple of the bottom leaves it could be too humid there and just a bit of fungus growing but if all over the plant on the same type of leaves, (eg older fan leaves), could be a deficiency of some kind.

 

If from splashed nutrients I'd expect to see larger, all brown spots and mostly in spots where the water can pool up and sit for an extended time and those spots don't fit that criteria.  I want to say low Ca but that tends to affect newer growth first as it's an immobile nutrient and once in a leaf it can't be moved by the plant like N,P,K, Mg and Zn can.  Everything else shows up in mid and new growth first as it's not available to the plant when it needs it.  When pH is out of whack, especially too high, it locks out mainly micro-nutrients and they can quickly slow down veg growth with various symptoms or worse stop bud production at critical stages of flowering.

 

Need more info and a couple of pics to nail it down.

 

:peace:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/8 at 10:16 PM, Shadey said:

When you want a diagnosis its best to turn the grow light off and take pics in natural light so people can see the correct colors of the leaves and damage. I would say you have nutrient burn from too much food or to low a humidity causing the plants to drink more water and uptake more food causing he burn. But better lighted pics would help.

 

Thank you very much. Sorry for the delay because I have to deal with such a terrible mess. I had to take all lights down and remove those plants from my garden. Cause temps going up to 33~35celsius and humiidty poor  as 10~15%. Humidty out of control ... Its messed, my man..:cry:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/9 at 2:20 AM, Unregistered said:

Where about on the plant?

new growth, old growth, high up, all over the plant, confined to near the soil, etc...

 

Kinda looks like it was splashed with a fairly strong fertilizer solution which wasn't rinsed off; that'll be my guess if it is near the soil and appears in splotches rather than all around the plant or on all of them.

 

Thanks bro. Its the worst growing for me.  Cut back on food and water. but nothing changes. Then I give up figuring it out and get them out my grow room before they contaminates the rest. Believe, its an nightmare. Cause I have 8 plants in my room... I need time and money to run new round now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, hydrogrow710 said:

Then I give up figuring it out and get them out my grow room before they contaminates the rest.

 

You dont have to throw them away, they wont contaminate the rest. They will probably not produce a lot of bud though. The rest may develop the same problem but its the high temps and low humidity that is the problem. Cutting back on the ferts will help, but only a bit, with temps as high as 33c  and RH at 15% the plants are going to be stressed and start showing other deficiencies with minerals and probably low potassium (K) as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shadey said:

 

 

You dont have to throw them away, they wont contaminate the rest. They will probably not produce a lot of bud though. The rest may develop the same problem but its the high temps and low humidity that is the problem. Cutting back on the ferts will help, but only a bit, with temps as high as 33c  and RH at 15% the plants are going to be stressed and start showing other deficiencies with minerals and probably low potassium (K) as well.

 

Thanks for your help, Shadey.  I have thrown them away. Cause Im definitely worrying about rest plants. Anyway thanks a ton:groupwave:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/9 at 10:00 AM, LabRat said:

Normal light pic wold be better and one of the whole plant too.

 

If it's only on a couple of the bottom leaves it could be too humid there and just a bit of fungus growing but if all over the plant on the same type of leaves, (eg older fan leaves), could be a deficiency of some kind.

 

If from splashed nutrients I'd expect to see larger, all brown spots and mostly in spots where the water can pool up and sit for an extended time and those spots don't fit that criteria.  I want to say low Ca but that tends to affect newer growth first as it's an immobile nutrient and once in a leaf it can't be moved by the plant like N,P,K, Mg and Zn can.  Everything else shows up in mid and new growth first as it's not available to the plant when it needs it.  When pH is out of whack, especially too high, it locks out mainly micro-nutrients and they can quickly slow down veg growth with various symptoms or worse stop bud production at critical stages of flowering.

 

Need more info and a couple of pics to nail it down.

 

:peace:

 

 

 

Sorry LabRat, I missed your message. Your pretty helpful. It is hard time for me. Cuz those girls had slowed down growth. So I had spend much time to figure out why. But seems its not ph burn, or water burn...not any of that issues that are mentioned. It scared me. I even have no time to take more picture...  It drove me crazy... I decided thrown them away.  Now Im thinking new round, maybe male plants. Cuz my friends doing well with male plants.. IDK,, maybe will try.. Thanks again:leaf:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hydrogrow710 said:

Now Im thinking new round, maybe male plants. Cuz my friends doing well with male plants.. IDK,, maybe will try.. Thanks again:leaf:

Male plants dont produce bud, so you will will only be able to use the leaves, and they will suffer in the same way as the others you have now, if you cant control your environment with the heat and humidity problems you have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Shadey said:

Male plants dont produce bud, so you will will only be able to use the leaves, and they will suffer in the same way as the others you have now, if you cant control your environment with the heat and humidity problems you have.

 

That's bad. :( :(    you grown male plants before?  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hydrogrow710 said:

hat's bad. :( :(    you grown male plants before?

 

Yes, unintentionally,  and as soon as I found out they were male, they got cut down and composted, you could smoke the leaves but it will be rough on the throat. They produce tiny little flowers that dont do anything, except pollinate female buds. They will respond to your environment the same way as the females, so you have to get better ventilation and or cooling and add a humidifier, or run a sealed room with a humidifier and co2 then the heat doesn't matter so much but 33-35C is still a bit high for an indoor grow. Ideally you want to be around 24-30c with humidity around 50-55%. in vege and  24-27c 35-45% Humidity in flower you can go a higher with the humidity but lower humidity produces higher levels of oil and terpins. Higher levels creates the risk of mold and bud rot if you dont have adequate airflow through and around the plants. Big fluctuations in humidity create the opportunity for powdery mildew to develop and spread. Having a good light is only part of the setup. you need everything else as well for a stable environment. The strain of plant will change those heat and humidity numbers as well , they are just averages, so you have to work with the plant, if it is showing signs of stress.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/16 at 10:10 PM, Shadey said:

 

Yes, unintentionally,  and as soon as I found out they were male, they got cut down and composted, you could smoke the leaves but it will be rough on the throat. They produce tiny little flowers that dont do anything, except pollinate female buds. They will respond to your environment the same way as the females, so you have to get better ventilation and or cooling and add a humidifier, or run a sealed room with a humidifier and co2 then the heat doesn't matter so much but 33-35C is still a bit high for an indoor grow. Ideally you want to be around 24-30c with humidity around 50-55%. in vege and  24-27c 35-45% Humidity in flower you can go a higher with the humidity but lower humidity produces higher levels of oil and terpins. Higher levels creates the risk of mold and bud rot if you dont have adequate airflow through and around the plants. Big fluctuations in humidity create the opportunity for powdery mildew to develop and spread. Having a good light is only part of the setup. you need everything else as well for a stable environment. The strain of plant will change those heat and humidity numbers as well , they are just averages, so you have to work with the plant, if it is showing signs of stress.

 

Thanks a million bro. Pretty pretty pretty helpful :clap:   Excellent !!!!  Sorry, I mean grow male plants for making seeds. Just for testing and wondering how it does.  One more question if you do not mind, my friend.  What kinds of lights would better for supporting male plants for making seeds? HPS or LED or HID?  Do not mean to make a debate LED VS HIP/HID.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hydrogrow710 said:

What kinds of lights would better for supporting male plants for making seeds?

No problem glad to help where I can. You can use any but to get he best seeds you would treat it the same as growing females either LED full spectrum or HID for veg and HPS for the 12/12 flowering. Between the LED and Ballast lighting I could not say from lack of knowledge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can flower out a male under a couple of 23W CFLs in a closet somewhere then collect the pollen to use on any girls you want to make crosses with or some girls of the same strain just to keep the strain going and get fresh seeds.  I will cut a branch or two off a male and stick them in a glass of water so they are drooped over a sheet of tinfoil for the pollen to fall on to and toss the rest of the plant.

 

*HID lights include MH, HPS and CMH.  MH for veg, HPS for flower and CMH can be used for both.

 

:peace:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shadey said:

No problem glad to help where I can. You can use any but to get he best seeds you would treat it the same as growing females either LED full spectrum or HID for veg and HPS for the 12/12 flowering. Between the LED and Ballast lighting I could not say from lack of knowledge.

 

Cool!!! I decide to use my mars pro ii 80 for growing male plants. Cause it does help save money and no need to purchasing new lights. Thank you very much bro:longjoint::longjoint:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LabRat said:

You can flower out a male under a couple of 23W CFLs in a closet somewhere then collect the pollen to use on any girls you want to make crosses with or some girls of the same strain just to keep the strain going and get fresh seeds.  I will cut a branch or two off a male and stick them in a glass of water so they are drooped over a sheet of tinfoil for the pollen to fall on to and toss the rest of the plant.

 

*HID lights include MH, HPS and CMH.  MH for veg, HPS for flower and CMH can be used for both.

 

:peace:

 

 

Hey LabRat, thanks for educating me. I did not know *HID lights include MH, HPS and CMH.  MH for veg, HPS for flower and CMH can be used for both...but Im wondering why you recommend 23W CFLs ? Did you use it and got good response?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.