LabRat

Lab's Lazy Man's CocoBudder method

35 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2015 at 1:06 AM, LabRat said:

I keep forgetting to water my big mother plant and every time I do it loses a lot of leaves that I've been saving.

You guys think there is any value to making some cocobudder out of them?

I know they won't be any good to catch a buzz with but there is still supposed to be medicinal goodies in them and if they do something for pain or mood that would be great.

Thinking of doing a water cure on them first.

:peace:

if you collect enough fresh leaves, you could juice them - this apparently works great. This guy on youtube claims he was high as a kite for over 8 hours after juicing fresh leaves. The second video is where he talks about the benefits of juicing marijuana.

Edited by midnightMix

I've known about juicing leaves for a long time but without a decent juicer it's kinda hard to get into it.  I tend to get into new things like that for a short while then slack off.  I got a house full of gadgets to prove it too. :)

I'm thinking I'll keep all the good fan leaves in the freezer for use down the road.

haha.. i hear ya lab ..my ol lady was just saying last night we need to get rid of the old juicer , bread machine,ele roaster,ect, ect ,thats been siting under the kitchen table for the last 6 yrs or so ..lol..

Just made a batch. 3 lbs. unsalted butter, an ounce of bud x 3 strains plus an ounce of already used stuff. Used method #1. Just at the cooling stage.....

Doing a bigger batch this time with a different setup.  Full sized crock pot that could handle 2.5 - 3L but I'm doing 1L with 50g of pot and using sunflower lecithin this time.  Man that stuff is expensive compared to the soy lecithin. $8 for 450ml of the soy and $30 for 473ml of the sunflower.  $22 more dollars for 23 more mls is damned steep! :)

900g coconut oil, 100g sunflower lecithin and 50g of pot screened thru 1mm mesh.  Was all very sugary trim and popcorn.  About half and half.

I also decided to add the lecithin at the higher temp after it finished decarbing then dialed it back.  I'll continue to run the mixer for a couple minutes a few times an hour for the next 3 hours or so as it cools then leave it overnight to steep then a final spin before decanting into a jar.  I scooped a bit less than a tsp an hour and a half ago and really getting baked. :)

Cocobudder25021703.jpg

Wow.  I am so impressed with all of this.  My sister at 71, has had cancer 4 times.  I'm 61 and have arthritis; a little rheumatoid, a little osteo.  Been smoking weed almost 50 years or I'd probably be worse than I am.  I just made RSO for us for the first time today.  I'm afraid I over did it, tho.:/  The oil isn't oil, it's glue...Not sure if I really overheated it and ruined it, or if I can just thin it out with some coconut oil.  Everclear is illegal here, so I used white 151 rum as my solvent and a high grade hydroponic herb.  Maybe the rum did it?  I don't know. I'm no chemist.  I will be making a road trip for some grain alcohol before I make the next batch, tho. I guess I'll warm up my cannabis paste and mix it with coconut oil to make it easier to use.  I put it in a glass jar rather than a syringe at least.  Glad for that.   Any suggestions Mr LabRat?  Oh yeah...the whole reason I started looking at this forum was to find out about growing my own medical weed and what the difference is between the sativa vs indica strains.  Rick Simpson recommends the indica strains.    I may be a product of the 70's, but I never studied botany.  Educate me please!

High Healthseeker and welcome to CC.

I never studied botany either but in my 30s I went back to school and after 3 years got a diploma in Environmental Chemistry.  Sure helps for a lot of stuff I do with pot from mixing nutes correctly to distilling camp stove fuel to get naphtha and even distilling butane to e able to reuse it to get more done with the same amount of expensive 9x filtered butane.

It's possible you overheated it a bit and drove off some of the lower boiling point constituents of the oil which would thicken it up but it might have been the rum.  Any alcohol used as a solvent will dissolve more than just the oils as it is a polar solvent and will pick up water and oil soluble parts.  Some of the water soluble stuff will thicken the oil too.

A pure hydrocarbon like butane, naphtha, hexane etc will only absorb the oils so you get a cleaner product that should be thick but runny like molasses.

The coconut oil and butter are both pure hydrocarbons to tho butter generally has a bit of water in it and should be clarified if not using water in the method.  Butter will go rancid if it sits around at room temp for a couple weeks or so but coconut oil never does plus it has healthier fats from a plant origin rather than animal fats so even vegans can eat it. :)

For your thick oil I'd use 20 - 40 times the volume of of coconut oil to dilute it.  Easier to dose consistently with the larger volume.  Put a couple inches of water in a small pot on the stove to bring to a simmer and start with your mixing container warmed up.  Small measuring cup or a coffee mug will do.  You want something that isn't going to crack with sudden temperature changes.  I'd put about a tsp of coconut oil with the RSO and mix it well with the back tip of a spoon, then another tsp to get it mixed well before adding the rest and mixing while it sits in the hot water bath.

The differences between sativa and indica are many.  Sativas give a more head high and are good for days when there are things to do and even a small puff can boost the mood for depressives like me.  Indicas are the "couch lock" with more of a body stone good for relaxation, pain and sleep.  Most strains are hybrids of both and can have a wide range of effects that varies a lot between different people.

They grow different too with sativas being long and lean with smaller yields and longer flowering time up to almost twice as long with indicas that average 8 - 9 weeks from when the light get flipped to 12/12 from 18/6 they vegetated at.  Again the hybridization of the two types has the majority of strains coming in at around the 8 - 9 week mark.

For arthritis high CBD pot works better than high THC pot.  I went out to BC last summer for about 5 weeks to help my 89 yo mom move out of her big house.  While there I found out about a doctor that was cool about signing people up for medical pot so I finally got mine after trying a half dozen doctors up here in northern Alberta over more than a decade.  I finally got to smoke some legal pot!  I went back to the compassion club where the guy had told me about that doc to buy my first legal pot.  I got one gram each of 4 strains to sample.  One of those was a high CBD strain called Sweet Skunk CBD that had been lab tested at 12% CBD and 7% THC.  Was a nice buzz, mild and a lot like being a bit drunk or medicated with an opiod more than the typical pot high.  Before coming back I bought 10g to bring home and make into cocobudder.  By far the best meds I've ever used for my arthritis and had a very positive effect on my chronic depression too.   I'm currently growing a couple different hi-CBD strains from seeds I got from a member here.  Otto#1, a hemp variety which has only 1% or less THC and from 10 - 27% CBD and another one that is a cross of the OTTO and another CBD strain that has a lot of THC too called Cannatonic.  He named that cross GoldFish.  A third I haven't sprouted yet is the GoldFish crossed with Herijuana.  He sent small samples of the bud from the last two as well and they work good on the arthritis too.

Taking your pot in edible format is the most efficient use of pot to get more medicine in you where toking only gets you 10 -20% of the medicine available.  Cooking up cocobudder like I do it so all the oils and terpenes are preserved and ingested is in my fairly educated opinion every bit as good if not better than RSO.  There is no certainty about how all the 60 or so cannabinoids, terpenes etc work together to do what they do so by getting all the plant has to offer in the most efficient way possible seems to me to be the way to go.  Not to mention that coconut oil won't blow up in your face like many other solvents can and often do. :)

A while ago I happened on a good place to download FREE POT BOOKS

I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more.  Most are in PDF format.  Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here.  No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as many are 50+ megs. They got lots.  I recommend the ones by Jorge Cervantes and have two of his real books.  Enjoy.

On 2/26/2017 at 2:20 AM, LabRat said:

High Healthseeker and welcome to CC.

I never studied botany either but in my 30s I went back to school and after 3 years got a diploma in Environmental Chemistry.  Sure helps for a lot of stuff I do with pot from mixing nutes correctly to distilling camp stove fuel to get naphtha and even distilling butane to e able to reuse it to get more done with the same amount of expensive 9x filtered butane.

It's possible you overheated it a bit and drove off some of the lower boiling point constituents of the oil which would thicken it up but it might have been the rum.  Any alcohol used as a solvent will dissolve more than just the oils as it is a polar solvent and will pick up water and oil soluble parts.  Some of the water soluble stuff will thicken the oil too.

A pure hydrocarbon like butane, naphtha, hexane etc will only absorb the oils so you get a cleaner product that should be thick but runny like molasses.

The coconut oil and butter are both pure hydrocarbons to tho butter generally has a bit of water in it and should be clarified if not using water in the method.  Butter will go rancid if it sits around at room temp for a couple weeks or so but coconut oil never does plus it has healthier fats from a plant origin rather than animal fats so even vegans can eat it. :)

For your thick oil I'd use 20 - 40 times the volume of of coconut oil to dilute it.  Easier to dose consistently with the larger volume.  Put a couple inches of water in a small pot on the stove to bring to a simmer and start with your mixing container warmed up.  Small measuring cup or a coffee mug will do.  You want something that isn't going to crack with sudden temperature changes.  I'd put about a tsp of coconut oil with the RSO and mix it well with the back tip of a spoon, then another tsp to get it mixed well before adding the rest and mixing while it sits in the hot water bath.

The differences between sativa and indica are many.  Sativas give a more head high and are good for days when there are things to do and even a small puff can boost the mood for depressives like me.  Indicas are the "couch lock" with more of a body stone good for relaxation, pain and sleep.  Most strains are hybrids of both and can have a wide range of effects that varies a lot between different people.

They grow different too with sativas being long and lean with smaller yields and longer flowering time up to almost twice as long with indicas that average 8 - 9 weeks from when the light get flipped to 12/12 from 18/6 they vegetated at.  Again the hybridization of the two types has the majority of strains coming in at around the 8 - 9 week mark.

For arthritis high CBD pot works better than high THC pot.  I went out to BC last summer for about 5 weeks to help my 89 yo mom move out of her big house.  While there I found out about a doctor that was cool about signing people up for medical pot so I finally got mine after trying a half dozen doctors up here in northern Alberta over more than a decade.  I finally got to smoke some legal pot!  I went back to the compassion club where the guy had told me about that doc to buy my first legal pot.  I got one gram each of 4 strains to sample.  One of those was a high CBD strain called Sweet Skunk CBD that had been lab tested at 12% CBD and 7% THC.  Was a nice buzz, mild and a lot like being a bit drunk or medicated with an opiod more than the typical pot high.  Before coming back I bought 10g to bring home and make into cocobudder.  By far the best meds I've ever used for my arthritis and had a very positive effect on my chronic depression too.   I'm currently growing a couple different hi-CBD strains from seeds I got from a member here.  Otto#1, a hemp variety which has only 1% or less THC and from 10 - 27% CBD and another one that is a cross of the OTTO and another CBD strain that has a lot of THC too called Cannatonic.  He named that cross GoldFish.  A third I haven't sprouted yet is the GoldFish crossed with Herijuana.  He sent small samples of the bud from the last two as well and they work good on the arthritis too.

Taking your pot in edible format is the most efficient use of pot to get more medicine in you where toking only gets you 10 -20% of the medicine available.  Cooking up cocobudder like I do it so all the oils and terpenes are preserved and ingested is in my fairly educated opinion every bit as good if not better than RSO.  There is no certainty about how all the 60 or so cannabinoids, terpenes etc work together to do what they do so by getting all the plant has to offer in the most efficient way possible seems to me to be the way to go.  Not to mention that coconut oil won't blow up in your face like many other solvents can and often do. :)

A while ago I happened on a good place to download FREE POT BOOKS

I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more.  Most are in PDF format.  Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here.  No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as many are 50+ megs. They got lots.  I recommend the ones by Jorge Cervantes and have two of his real books.  Enjoy.

Hey!  I'm so sorry I never responded to you!  I never even saw this response from you until just now!  Thank you, thank you, thank you for your knowledge and expert opinion.  I've never really used any kind of forum, and didn't use to use my gmail account much until lately, so I didn't even know you replied to my earlier request for some info. I will certainly download the books.and I have to agree that edibles are the most efficient use of all that the herb has to offer.  You are absolutely right.  I am just beginning to use and learn about essential oils and some of what I learned in chemistry 40 years ago resurfaced.  I understand more than the average joe, but can't really put it to use because I don't know the basics.  

It took me a minute to figure out how to reply here, my brain is getting so feeble these days!!

And I did put my jar of thick oil into a larger container of hot water to soften it up.  I added a few drops of fractionated coconut oil and it's fine.  I drew it up into a 3 cc syringe and have 2 cc's, plus some still in the jar, and my sister has the same amount - maybe more.  So, I guess we got a pretty good yield.  According to the lady whose video I watched one ounce of medical mj should yield 2 to 4 grams of oil. The hydroponic weed we used was very high THC - or so we were told.  Does 28% sound real?  Is that even possible? Or are they bullshitting me?   Trust me, it's very potent.  I didn't use it all to make RSO :)

I certainly will make use of your info regarding the different strains, some growing info, and how my sister's needs and mine differ. Hers is for cancer prevention, mine is to stop my fingers from getting more crooked than they already are, and both of us would benefit more from making edibles. Not sure I could do what you do when you make your budder tho.  Too complicated for me.  

There are docs writing scripts and/or dispensing medical pot here in Florida finally.  My husband just drove by one today - took a pic and texted it to me.   I don't have a lot of pain in my ugly, gnarled joints, but anything to make this better is a good thing. I'm pretty sure any doc would look at my hands and not hesitate to write me a script.  Also, there's a vape store in town that has a sign in their window that says "hemp derived CBD oil".   ??   Hm.  Gotta go in there I guess.  

I'm only just getting started with all of this,  my new interest in essential oils, my new interest in Canadian pot stocks, (American, too), and starting a side business so I can stop driving to work every day,   My brain is on overload.  Not sleeping at 3;40 a.m is a good indicator of that.  

I will be back with more questions.  One of them I have right now is about buying seeds, which is why I visited CC to begin with.  Gotta start growing now! 

I've been up all night reading Jorge's "growing basics" book.  really good.  gotta sleep tho.  I'm out of work this week.  had a hernia surgery last friday, so taking the week off and getting lots of reading and perusing done.  nice to have this time to do this.  later...zzz