LabRat

Lab's Lazy Man's CocoBudder method

40 posts in this topic

Started making some CocoBudder on the shelf where I set up my stuff to make colloidal silver but I'm all stocked up with that so got it out of the way for this.

I bought this little crock pot at the thrift store for $5 a year ago and finally decided to try it out.  With water in it it only got up to 88C/190F but with coconut oil it can get up to 110C/230F so that was a nice surprise.  Need higher heat than that to decarb the pot so I used my Variac to increase the voltage going to the crock pot and can easily get up to 127C260F by turning up the dial to about 120%.  It goes up to 140% of line votage but I don't need that much heat for this.

The thermometer goes up to 150C/302F and beyond so I'm good there.  I get up every commercial break to stir it good and monitor the temperature.

Crock02.jpg

This is the line-up of all I use for this.  Ignore the graduated cylinder in the back.  It's full of my 20ppm test solution to check the ppm pen I use for the colloidal silver.  That 250ml mason jar is full of the first batch that had the lecithin in it when I raised the heat up to close to 300F.  With the 2nd batch I raised the temp up to 127C/260F to do the decarb first then lowered the temp to 100C before adding the lecithin then leaving at that heat for about 3 more hours.  Then I turned down the dial to about 70% power and left it ovenight.

Bubbles start coming up as the decarb starts around 235F. After about 30 min you have to stir it to get any bubbles so when I couldn't get any more bubbles I lowered the temp to 100C. Same temp you would get over a double boiler.

Crock03.jpg

This is what the two batches look like when they are kept cool and go solid.  Kind of like butter and you could use it like butter for your morning toast and tea. :)

Batch one on the right was made using sugary trim/popcorn that had been sifted to collect the kief off a year ago so it won't be as strong as the 2nd batch that was made using the same trim that had not been sifted so was full potency and is definitely stronger,  I made them 20:1 with 10g pot to 180g oil plus 20g lecithin to make it 200g of oil for the extraction.  The second batch I used 15g trim and 300g oil/lecithin to keep the proportions the same but I had 15g of the virgin trim left so used it up.

I'm going to put together 20g of left over odds and ends of bud from various strains and do a 200g batch to get a 10:1 batch and see how messed up I get with that. :)

Jars01.jpg

When warmed up and liquid they look like this.

Jars02.jpg

I'm really liking this stuff.  My joint pain is way down and a small dose of 2ml of the 2nd batch gives me a nice rosy feeling that lasts for 5 hours at least and really lifts my mood as well.  Not to mention that coconut oil is healthier for you and does not go rancid like butter does.  No cows were harmed in the making of this product! lol

No water was used while cooking tho I am thinking of reheating the 1st batch in my double boiler with water added and whisking the hell out of it to see if the water extracts any crap.  Not sure if it's worth the effort tho as this stuff tastes great as it is.  I put a 2ml dose under my tongue to melt and swirl it around my mouth a bit to let it absorb.  Nice nutty, roasted kind of flavour from both,

I may have to invest in a heated magnetic stirrer if I get into doing this more often.  Then I can just use a glass bowl to cook it up in and do much bigger batches with less work and less work is always a good thing. :)

PS: This could also be done on a hot plate or stove in a large Pyrex measuring cup.  Just bend up a clothes hanger to keep the bottom off the actual element and use a candy thermometer suspended off the bottom to keep an eye on temps.

:peace:

Edited by LabRat
Added PS

Great post bro !  Pics like yours really help clarify any procedure: well done.

Glad to hear your pain levels are lowered.  I agree with ya on the taste being decent and sort of smoky - not unpleasant at all. :)

Very cool posts, may have to try your method Labby

awesomes ..thanks lab..i no i mention the other day about making this ..ask and you shall recieve ..lol

so the starting temps should be around 265F for the first 3 hrs [stirring till bubbles stop ] then turn it down and let it go over night at about 235F..does this sound right ..and when adding the lectin it should be added durring or after the  bubbling stops..

sorry i am sure i'll fuck this up some how ..lol..and i'll prolly piss you off before i understand it ..

I'm not that easy to piss off Weedmen. :)

When I put the pot in with the coconut oil and let it heat up the bubbling started around 113C/235F and I kept raising the heat to 127C/260F while stirring every 10 min or so.  At first the bubbles come up like a slow boil then you don't see bubbles unless you stir a bit.  Not stirring enough to create bubbles but just enough to mix up the pot that all lies on the bottom.  Once no more bubbles rise when stirred then I turn down the heat and add the lecithin once it's got down to 100C/212F.

Celsius to Fahrenheit table

Bubbles01.jpg

I'm not sure if adding the lecithin after the decarb or before is better but it seems to me that as the oil can take much higher heat than lecithin then I should be better to add it once the heat is lowered.  Might get just a good of extract without the lecithin but it's supposed to help extract better and help with absorption after you eat it so I use it.

With the batch pictured above I waited until the oil had reached 260F before adding the pot and it bubbled right away once stirred in.  After about 1/2 hour there was no more bubbles so I lowered the temp and stirred in the lecithin.  Kept the heat at 212F until bedtime then lowered it to around 70C/158F to simmer overnight then strained it around noon.  I just use a small metal strainer with a mesh around 0.5mm or half that of mosquito netting which is 1.0mm.  If kept warm and liquid all the fine sediment slowly sinks to the bottom where I just leave it.  Looks like fine particles of plant matter and likely some of the higher boiling point waxes.  I just keep the jars on the back of the fridge where it's warm enough to keep it liquid.  Check out how the stuff looks when it cools.  Like crystals forming on the inside of of a window on a freezing day but round.  Wife said it looked like mould or something growing in there. :)

Jar01.jpg

Edited by LabRat

that makes better sense then to add lecithin at to high of temp mite burn it ..i can see in the one pic , little particles . that must be the plant matter you mention will settle ..

at a 20 to 1 ratio , and that sugar  leaf and  clipping is what you use .there's no water or something i missed... ..so everything that goes in to the crock pot is 180 grams coconut oil,10 grams popcorn buds .dried and chopped, 20 grams lecithin , bring to low boil [about 260 F] with just the pot and the oil then add lecithin after the temp is dropped [212 F]after 3 hrs of cooking and stirring every 10 minutes or so ..then drop temps to 158 and let go over nite at that temp ..it should be done then in the morning..right ..lol..it can be kept in the fridge or let to stay liquid at room temp ..how long does it stay good for ,before it goes bad ..and dosage how much to use at a time..same measurements as butter when baking with it ..

i think i am with the wife on this one ..it does look like mold ..

thanks buddy ..i'll do my best to get this right the first time so i wont tear your ear off with questions..

You got it Weedmen.

There's no real boiling like you get with a pot of water.  The only bubbles you ever get are from the pot decarbing and it just makes a bit of a head on the top.  Doesn't bubble vigorously like boiling water.

Because of the temps it gets up to water would boil off during decarb and make sure you don't put any water in above 212F or it will blow up in your face and nasty burns from hot oil will result.

It becomes fairly hard if kept in the fridge and only stays liquid if kept above 76F so I keep mine up on the back of the fridge so it stays liquid.  Now that the sediment has had time to settle out it has become very clear.  I thought of a way to easily get rid of the sediment.  While the jar is all liquid set it on a freezing gel pack for a few minutes to solidify the bottom just a bit then pour/decant the liquid into another jar.

Coconut oil keeps for years on the shelf.  Goes from solid to liquid and back many times sitting in the cupboard all summer.  The pot in it will gradually degrade with age so storing in the fridge or freezer would be best for long term storage but if it's going to be used up within a few months room temp will do fine.

If you do that recipe with 10g of pot or 20:1 I'd start with a measured teaspoon/5mls and wait for 2 hours the first time.  Might take 3 tsps or a Tbsp/15ml to get a real buzz off it but it depends on the strength of the pot you use.  This last batch I made at 10:1 with bud doesn't seem to be a lot stronger than the one I made before it at 20:1 using sugar trim/popcorn.  I don't get the same kind of high as from smoking the same pot.  Really notice my breathing gets easier and lungs expand better or it sure feels that way.  Nice rosy feeling with a much more positive mood.  Doesn't seem to make me sleepy but when I do sleep it's a good night's sleep and greatly reduced morning pain.

It's not a buzz I'm after but relief from what ails me so this is working much better than smoking it.

Making canna-butter for cooking with marijuana (Cannabis recipe)

Bruce Hammond Special to The Oregonian

December 08, 2015

-c0e2ef11fde92692.jpg

Ingredients for canna-butter: marijuana, butter, cheesecloth.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-09e0df32c12a5111.jpg

Adding the butter to the boiling water.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-34f008e758d41ea3.jpg

The butter is melted and the cannabis is added.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-73a71317f583c68a.jpg

Stirring the cannabis in the water.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-056c023b6306db97.jpg

Allow to cook on a gentle simmer for 3 hours.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-b72b47a4ae03c3d0.jpg

Pour the thickened finished mixture through the prepared cheesecloth.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-26f45e9d90d449ae.jpg

Squeeze the cheesecloth to remove as much butter as possible.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-28402e65c9816032.jpg

When solid, remove the butter by cutting around the edge of the bowl.

(Photo by Bruce Wolf)

-9ea781b567c295a9.jpg

So marijuana is legal in Oregon. I bet you never thought you'd see the day. And I certainly never thought I would be writing an edibles column for The Oregonian/OregonLive.

But here we are, and isn't it wonderful? Green crosses are popping up everywhere and billboards are displaying $100 ounces and some odd-looking cannabis paraphernalia that I am pretty sure remains a mystery to most viewers. But, fan or foe, or somewhere on the spectrum, this is big news.

19344957-small.jpg

I will be coming to you every other week with seasonal cannabis-infused recipes, discussing the best foods for when your appetite is duly stimulated, and answering any edibles-related questions you may have.

For the first post, I'd like to walk you through a simple canna-butter recipe, the mother of all cannabis infusions. Although these days coconut oil as both an edible and topical, is pretty spectacular. I hurt my elbow last week and when I remembered to use the canna-coconut oil the pain was gone. Totally gone. And I also made really great popcorn with it. Smoked sea salt. Just saying.

The potency of your cannabis will determine the strength of the canna-butter, and the type of butter will determine the yield. I find that I lose as much as 30% of the butter's volume during the infusion process. But it seems that the better the butter, the less you lose. And if you start with clarified butter, you lose only what you can't squeeze out of the cheesecloth.

If you can, buy trim or shake. A fine infusion can be made with trim for much less money than buying flower. Oh yeah, trim is what is removed from the buds of the plant when harvested. Shake is the little crumbles off of the larger buds. Okay, so let's get started and put the pot back in potluck!

Simple steps for making canna-butter

1 pound butter

7 grams trim/shake/flower, decarboxylated*

Step 1

In a small saucepan bring 2 quart of water to a boil on the stove. You can vary the amounts, just be sure that the marijuana is always floating 2 inches from the bottom of the pan.

Step 2

When the water is boiling place the butter in the pan and allow it to melt completely.

Step 3

Once the butter has melted you can add the marijuana. When the marijuana is added turn the heat down. Cook the butter at a gentle simmer. I usually let the marijuana cook for around three hours. You can tell it's done when the top of the mix turns from really watery to dark and glossy.

Step 4

While the canna-butter is cooking set up the bowl to hold the finished product. I like to use a heatproof bowl, Place a double layer of cheesecloth over the top, and secure it with elastic, string or tape.

Step 5

Strain the marijuana butter over the bowl, carefully trying not to spill. When the saucepan is empty, undo the twine, pick up the cheesecloth from all four sides and squeeze out all of the remaining butter.

Step 6

Allow the canna-butter to cool for about an hour. Place in the fridge until the butter has risen to the top layer and is solid. The THC and other properties have attached to the butter, and you are just about there.

Step 7

Run a knife around the edge and lift the butter off. Place upside down on your work surface and scrape off any of the particles that have attached to the underside of the butter. Your canna-butter is ready to roll. Enjoy! Store in the fridge for a month or freeze.

* To decarboxylate your cannabis (the process of activating the THC), place on a rimmed baking sheet in an oven heated to 240° F for 40 minutes. Your kitchen will smell like Woodstock.

Estimating potency

Most bud you buy these days seems to have a potency around 20% THC. Trim clocks in closer to 12% THC. If you are making the infusion with a 12% THC trim, the resulting butter (if you follow the recipe above) will have a potency of 10mg THC per teaspoon. If you use a 20% THC bud, you will have a potency of around 25mg THC per teaspoon.

For those of you who are going to be trying marijuana for the first time, go slow. Don't over do it. Always start with a low dose, even if you are dealing with serious pain. It won't take long to find what is comfortable, maybe 3 days, but it is so worth it. Ingesting too much is a real turn off and very unpleasant when you are going through it. Just ask Maureen Dowd.

Start with 5 mg THC -- THC is the active ingredient in cannabis that makes you "high." If you are a patient who needs a higher dose, try slowly increasing doses day over day until you reach the level that is right for you. It is best to work up rather than work backwards. Trust me, I have been there. Dispensaries will be able to direct you towards starter strains and products. Don't be embarrassed, everyone has to start somewhere.

5 simple edibles with canna-butter

Top a baked sweet potato with 1 tsp. canna-butter, 1 tbs. regular butter, 2 tsp. maple syrup, and ¼ tsp. cinnamon.

Combine 2 tbs. melted regular butter and 1 tsp. melted canna-butter and pour over 2 cups popped popcorn. Mix ½ tsp. cumin, ¼ tsp. chili powder, ½ tsp. lime zest and sprinkle over popcorn.

To one cup of apple cider add 2 tsp. caramel sauce and 1 tsp. canna-butter.

Spread two slices of toast with 2 tsp. regular butter, 1 tsp. canna-butter, 1 tbs. honey, and ¼ tsp. cinnamon.

Sauté 1 sliced and cored pear and 2 tbs. dried cranberries in 1 tbs. regular butter, 1 tsp. canna-butter, and 2 tsp. brown sugar over medium heat until caramelized.

For newbies, foodies, oldies, and goodies, this will be a lot of fun. Cooking with cannabis is like trying a new herb that very few people like! But some people do like the taste, and there are some foods that even pair nicely with cannabis. Cannabis cuisine has come a long way beyond the infamous pot brownie and crisped rice treats of our forefathers. It now includes literally everything from soup to nuts. Welcome to the future of edibles!

Laurie Wolf is a professional chef who develops recipes for cooking with cannabis.

oregonlive

Very happy to hear you will be sharing cannabis recipes with us, also great news to know the herb is legal in Oregon. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing what Laurie Wolf has for us next.

I'd like to see the lab results backing up Ms. Wolf's statement regarding bud potency. No question there are strains that can clock in there, i just don't feel it's commercially prevalent. Takes a bit of effort to pull potency out of a strain, and if comments i've heard regarding Colorado shops is true, the bud often doesn't live up to the billing.

Edited by airedog

notsofasteddie, This all sounds great and all for a single use batch of budder,

but I do not believe you are in the ball park with your amounts:

"7 grams trim/shake/flower, decarboxylated* to a lb of butter"

7 grams to a lb of butter would make a very weak budder, most likely

a decent dosage for a first timer but hardly enough for someone

looking to use for medical purposes.

I've been making budder for decades, I am also diabetic though.

However my favorite treat is a brownie...(I know, I know I shouldn't but I love em.)

Being diabetic and treating myself to a brownie means I need to pack a big punch

in a small package. I use 4 times what you suggest (so do most people I know)

Making it to this strength, I also need to make 4 lbs at a time.

This would be atleast a qp of weed to 4 lbs of butter.

My budder is a much darker green too.

This will last me a month and one brownie, cut to the size of a postage stamp,

is such a treat for me, and my friends agree too.

One will last the better part of the day.

This is the recipe I follow with the only exception being is,

I cook for 45 minutes at 250 degrees

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9599/quick-and-easy-brownies/

Peace

I agree with Videoman, at least an oz of bud per pound of butter. Even Magical Butter recommends 7-14 g of bud per cup of butter.

We like the analog recipe for Starbuck's Molassess Ginger cookies; made with a bit more spice.

http://www.food.com/recipe/starbucks-ginger-molasses-cookies-214066

i also agree with the amounts needing to be an oz per lb of butter ..i have made it with as much as 2 oz per lb ..but thats a bit strong ..

also i was under the impression that budder was what was made with cocnut oil.and butter is made with , well butter ..

i use this recipe .it was first posted by pufftuff and is what is being used in a campassion shop in canada..i noticed no one pours off the first boil of the weed ..to clear the chloraphil [spell fail i no]  out of it .this step gets rid of the heavy weed taste in it ..you dont loose any of the good stuff ..also when making the butter i dont decarb it as it reaches the temps needed when boiling it to activate the good stuff..

http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182473-easy-canna-butter/

notsofasteddie, This all sounds great and all for a single use batch of budder,

but I do not believe you are in the ball park with your amounts:

"7 grams trim/shake/flower, decarboxylated* to a lb of butter"

7 grams to a lb of butter would make a very weak budder, most likely

a decent dosage for a first timer but hardly enough for someone

looking to use for medical purposes.

This would be atleast a qp of weed to 4 lbs of butter.

My budder is a much darker green too.

This will last me a month and one brownie, cut to the size of a postage stamp,

is such a treat for me, and my friends agree too.

One will last the better part of the day.

This is the recipe I follow with the only exception being is,

I cook for 45 minutes at 250 degrees

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9599/quick-and-easy-brownies/

Peace

Not My Words, Hers, Laurie's!!

I'm a 28gms; 12 oz. butter kind of guy!

Thank you Magical Butter Machine!!!

Edited by notsofasteddie

no way, they make a machine for this now ..i am looking into this ..it looks like you could do coconut oil threw as well ..nice thanks for the info ..

12 oz , is that after its made and you started with a lb of butter.?  

.i no i never get my full lb of butter back when i maker it my way ..

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment

We put four popular cannabutter infusion methods to the test, then sent the results off to two separate labs to determine, once and for all, which one works best! Here's the first method.

Stay tuned to hightimes.com for more cannabutter recipes!

Host: Elise McDonough

Director of Photography: Josh Becker

Camera Assistant: Mike Oliphant

Production Assistant: Kynthia Brunette

Scientific Consultant: Colin Hennigan

Special thanks to Big Pete's Treats in Santa Cruz, CA

Laboratory Testing provided by SC Labs and Steep Hill

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 1

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 2

Edited by notsofasteddie

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 3

Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 4

the real secret to great butter is to use at least 3 diffrent strains to make sure your getting a good amount of all the cannabanoids and thc ..

oh one more thing ... :hijack:

I generally used my Cannatonic for butter as it tested as having high THC & high CBD. Still got a few hoarded jars, but there getting old. Just made a batch with some Iranian Diesel (high THC, low CBD) and kif; should make some cookies and try it out to see how it compares to the Cannatonic butter.

the real secret to great butter is to use at least 3 diffrent strains to make sure your getting a good amount of all the cannabanoids and thc ..

I'll second that.

Edited by frmrgrl

I keep forgetting to water my big mother plant and every time I do it loses a lot of leaves that I've been saving.

You guys think there is any value to making some cocobudder out of them?

I know they won't be any good to catch a buzz with but there is still supposed to be medicinal goodies in them and if they do something for pain or mood that would be great.

Thinking of doing a water cure on them first.

i use everything to be honest ..males , herms sugar leaf , always popcorn buds , even some stems , if i can break them up sm enough. oh and tray left  overs from rolling..