Sign in to follow this  
J-1-89-RFC

Mary, quite contrary, how do your other gardens grow?

Hey all. I've been here a while and I want to start a lovely little thread about summer gardening and growing food and flowers. The other other gardens if you will!

I just started 36 pots of veggies yesterday. They will all germ in the next month and will be good transplant size by the time some decent weather shows up. I like to start my seed about a week earlier than recommended mostly because I have the space and the lighting and it doesn't worry me that they will get big. I do how ever lose a bunch of plants every year due to burning. My transition needs some work.

Toms, peppers, squashes, rosemarry basil.

So? How does your garden grow?

• Upvote 1

morning j-1 . the wife was just saying last night its time to start our flowers and veggies for summer ..we tend to stick to the basic garden veggie like you ..we dont do any herbs oither then the one ..lol

transition from in doors to out doors ..i always harden my stuff off before making the move to plant in the ground or pots ..about a week or so before i start moving them out in the morning to a shady spot and in at night when the temps dip again ..about 3 days before planting i will start leaving them out over night . i keep them close to the house so they stay warmer ..but then into the ground they go ..i used to have trouble every yr with my toms , the leafs would burn..i found they were getting wind burn , so i started putting paper bags over them with the bottoms of the bags cut out ..

well i have to run momma to work , but i'll come back later ..always nice talking gardens and not just weed gardens ..lol.

.talk to ya later ..

weedmen

• Upvote 1

Good idea J1, your thread can also remind peeps that it's time to start planning for this year's other-veggie crop :)  Lessee.... start the beans March 1, veg till end of May...yep, better get to it.

• Upvote 2

two 12" clay pots under CFL's seeded with mesclun mix on Feb 24 are starting to germinate. Its fun to snip your salad right at the table! 

• Upvote 2

I am very excited that this thread is going so well. Small update on my end. I planted another tray worths of toms, peppers, bergamot, okra, rosemary, cilantro/coriander, goji berry, a couple lettuces and a baby bok choy.

Glad to see people getting things started. With the weather we've had this winter I hope to have a nice long summer.

• Upvote 2

Love this time of year.... time to start my tomatoes. Got the jiffy pucks soaking now. Going to veg them under my 2 foot T5. Going to add some other veggies but haven't decided what yet. Is always nice talking gardening.

• Upvote 1

i had some fun last two seasons experimenting with an EAVESTROPH garden: 4 ten foot lengths strapped on the privacy wall of my patio. Strawberries, onions, variety of culinary herbs all very successful. Vertical garden: no stooping, little weeding, conservative use of water & soil. Yielded much better than my STRAW BALE garden of a few years previous! 

i bought a hoop bender intending to erect a hoop house but weather, health, money, life getting in the way! 

maybe this year.....

• Upvote 1

Looks like lots of people are experimenting and doing some fun gardening this year! I've heard great thing from eaves gardens, especially hydro/aqua style systems. Super easy to water and great for plants that have less root mass and more greenage!

I wish I could come help you set up a hoop house! Aside from starting things inside under the light the greenhouse/hoop house is the easiest way to get an extra month or two out of the season!

I am very temped to do a garden seed contest at the end of the year with some OP seeds I would collect. Would anyone be interested in having a "best of show" or some sort of contest this year?

This year I plan to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries (in the ground since last year), kohlrabi, rhubarb (in the ground since 1991), beans, peas, radishes, parsley, and believe it or not that doesn't cover all my space so I'm still deciding on the rest. ;)

Also already in the ground are sage, oregano, peppermint, and chocolate mint.  The last three I've planted way more than I need because I've noticed bees love 'em (lavender in the front yard for the same reason, more favoured by bumblebees, the former three by honeybees).  Chocolate mint tea tastes amazingly like an After Eight. :)

We also have a cherry plum tree (cherry-sized plums, dark purple variety) that is very productive, grape vines, and a fig tree that has just started to feed us.  All of these and the above herbs were started from cuttings that I took from other people's gardens (with permission, mostly my Mennonite relatives who number in the dozens so lots of variety to choose from ;) ) when I came across a particularly tasty variety.

Raccoons love our yard, particularly when the pool is assembled and filled. :D But we get most of it, I'd say from August to October about 80% of my calories (and two other people's calories) comes from this property.  1/6th of an acre in the suburbs, if you're wondering.

• Upvote 1

DOUBLE DOWN on the culinary herbs! my herb bed HUMMS with at least 10 different kinds of bees! amazing to watch them working. 

• Upvote 2

Not just bees, one will also see a number of fly species, moths, butterflies... last year when our cherry plum tree flowered there were alarmingly few bees around (they didn't really start showing up in any numbers until much later than usual, and noticeably lower numbers than usual), the eventual harvest was OK (not stellar, but not the worst we've had), and probably mostly thanks to non-bee pollinators.

If you watch bees foraging on a densely flowered plant like oregano or the mints, you might notice that flowers usually don't get visited twice for the duration of your observation.  Not just by one bee, but all bees, if one bee drains a flower, and then flies away, the next bee to come along will skip that flower (usually).  Turns out one of the reasons plants have weak electrical charges is to advertise a flower's nectar status, a visiting bee discharges the flower, so the stronger the electric field around the flower, the longer ago it was visited and hopefully the more nectar it contains.  Neat eh? :)

Sooooo much signalling going on in chemical / electrical realms that we can only just barely tap into with our monkey senses. :P

• Upvote 1

I love gardening but I am still a bit of a novice in it. I just started a few flower beds, let's see how that will come along. :)