Edwin

Smart Meter Information Reveals Cannabis Gardens

93 posts in this topic

btw - we finished House Arrest and Curfew and are halfway through our community service hours.

6 more months of unfreedom (the judge saw his shadow - and so did we).

Crowd funding announcement soon!

And its summertime.

Edwin,

Any news on the status of your case? When will Lewin post his opinion piece on CC's website?

Another case of the sunshine listers all with their greedy little hands in the pot:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/08/grow-op-sting-lengthy-court-case-ends-with-whopping-10-fine#disqus_thread

I bet smart meter data played a role in this raid.

Good luck with your case Edwin I hope Paul Lewin will help you to proceed with the appeal if the necessary funds are not raised.

The $mart Meter Privacy case will be perfected on January 8, 2016 at the Court of Appeal for Ontario.

Fantastic news! Without reading up on the entire process it appears that three judges will be making a decision with this appeal. Let's hope they can see the bigger picture here. Smart meter surveillance violates section 8 of the Charter.

Yes it will be 3 judges reviewing the decision of our trial judge. We expect a hearing date somewhere between April and June. They will not be reviewing the criminal portion related to cannabis production but will be reviewing the Section 8 violation solely. We brought a lot of evidence forward and we think the judge erred in his interpretation of the evidence that is based on decisions already made by the Supreme Court of Canada in favour of privacy. 

The Appeal Court will also have to decide whether or not Hydro is a government entitiy and subject to the various privacy legislation and the Charter.

This will be a precedent setting case to be sure.

Salutations Edwin,

The Appeal Court will also have to decide whether or not Hydro is a government entity...

Simply being curious, is that related to this:

Section #32 - Application of Charter

« The purpose of this section is to make it clear that the Charter only applies to governments, and not to private individuals, businesses or other organizations. »

Good day, have fun!!  :peace:

Trying to update the site as much as I am able. Our lawyer is prepping a statement and we will be at 420 Toronto.

www.righttoprivacy.ca

I'm curious about the status of this case. What is going on? I checked your site a while back and saw a great video of Lewin talking about this at 420. Now when I try to visit your site my computer blocks it and I get a trojan virus warning. Perhaps some "stakeholders" don't want you spreading the word about this?

Something is up with the site - I think I have it solved. The latest is that we will present our Smart Meter Right to Privacy Charter Challenge at the Court of Appeal for Ontario, November 7, 2016. 10th Court.

That's great news. Think of all the implications of this case considering we have Bill BLIAR looking after the "legalization" process. We should expect zero tolerance for recreational / medical growers and we should expect our smart meters to be watching. Remember Bill the narc, Bill the liar was the first police chief in Canada to oversee warrantless smart meter surveillance investigations. Think Bill cares about your rights? Not one bit. The police, firefighters, utilities etc will be pushing for warrantless sharing of the data. You've got some power lobbyists to fight and it will be a tough one. You've got Lewin on your side and that's a big bonus. Hopefully you will have a decent and honest panel of judges that recognize the invasive abuse of rights at play here. Btw - it's funny that Lewin says the privacy commissioner doesn't care in his video. It's so true it made me chuckle. Also very interesting that he has contacted the utilities and asked them if they continue to spy without a warrant and share the data. If what the utilities are saying is true - that they are not at the moment but waiting for the outcome of your case, then that is a serious win for all of us. Keep lighting a fire under their asses. We are all routing for you!!

Salutations BTDT,

...we should expect our smart meters to be watching.

It's recorded data so i suppose analysis doesn't have to occur simultaneously:  it's valid as long as the indoor cultivator hasn't moved to a different address...  There's no telling what future politicians may decide to do with it.

Good day, have fun!!  :peace:

So I was searching the appeals court website to see if there has been a decision on this case and I see nothing. Hopefully they are just taking their time carefully coming to the correct conclusions we would all like to see. BTW - I found an old smart meter case from 2009 on their website that proves Toronto Hydro is looking at your electricity consumption every 15 minutes:

[6]          On April 21, 2009, Detective Constable David Wallace received an email from Debbie Kupcho, an employee of Toronto Hydro Electric System, alerting him to a possible marijuana grow operation at 39 Patricia Ave. 

[7]          Kupcho provided DC Wallace with hydro readings for the property and two nearby properties, 37 Patricia Ave. and 40 Patricia Ave.  She also provided him with a Smart Meter graph, which showed the hourly consumption of power at 39 Patricia Ave.  The Smart Meter takes amperage readings every 15 minutes.  This information is then transformed into a graph that shows a building load over many days.   

Here's the link to case if you would like to see it:

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2013/2013ONCA0285.htm

You are not billed in amps so I guess they think it's ok to take a reading every 15 min rather than every hour and not tell you this. Amps are easily converted to watts so what's the difference really? I knew the smart meter was capable of 15 min readings but this is the only evidence I have ever found that a Canadian utility is actually doing this. Be safe out there people and use this knowledge to your advantage.

Still no smart meters in Alberta tho the gas company replaced my gas meter with one that has some sort of device on it so they just fly over the area once a month to pick up the usage readings.  No wires to it at all so I have no idea how that works.  Fine with me as the gas meter is close to where my grow room exhaust exits under my shop and I already had the guy double-check for leaks once because of the smell. :)  Now they don't have to come on the property at all.

In ten years everything we own that is electronic will be spying on us.  I don't own a smart phone, smart TV or smart anything except my dog and he's none to bright.

:peace:

I suspect that Google knows me best.