Hello forum,

I have been smoking for approximately 7 years now with great effects... When I reached my 6-7th year of smoking weed I have developed really bad migraines when I smoke. To counter this effect I usually take strong pain killers (i.e. Vicodin/Very Strong Ibf to counter this effect) so I can smoke, relax without the painful headache. Please no posts about how pain killers hurt me I want to find more about my problem. Whether it be edibles, blunts, joints, vape, bong rips, pipe hits... Whatever the case smoking weed gives me terrible migraines. I have smoked up until my 6-7th YEAR smoking without any problems. All of sudden, no injury, no car wreck, no traumatic life event, I have started getting terrible migraines when I smoke weed. The headaches started out of no where, actually in my senior summer of high school, no responsibilities, no worries, and I get these horrific headaches. I have researched many forums, many websites, to conclude I have acquired allergies to marijuana, which really really fucking sucks. I have come to this forum for advice/solutions so I can receive the beneficial effects of THC without the headaches. To get in detail I have smoked many types of weeds to eliminate the theory that the batch of weed has chemicals that gives me headaches. I've smoke indoor, outdoor, preme, stress, dank, with all the same results. I've chugged liters of water before, during, and after a smoke sesh with no prevail. I've ate sugars and sweet ( a lot ) with no effect. I am writing on this forum to hear new theories to cure my problem. PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING A SOLUTION. I love weed and the stress reliving properties it has... I really want to fix it but no have no idea how... thanks for any input or suggestions...

interesting.........  We are not medical experts here.  Seems as though you are doing a good job with root cause analysis, please let us know what you find.  my suggestion would be for you to not use cannabis.......... and yes, I did read " PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING A SOLUTION"   because it was already at the end anyway.... :boob:  (k, that was just for Simo)

Edited by dice_jay
  • Upvote 1

Age has a lot to do with side effects. Starting young can bring on many issues with an under developed brain, this is one reason for age restrictions on booze. I would suggest stopping for awhile and don't smoke anymore...edibles and capsules can still give you the relief you desire. Sounds like you need a break if your the age I think...Good Luck...SG

• Upvote 1

High there Katerham

I seem to have the opposite problem.  Last march I had a small stroke and since then I have headaches where before they were very rare for me.  It took either severe dehydration or binge drinking to bring one on.  Pot helps a lot to get rid of them quick tho I prefer not to start my day with a toke.

I hope that you have been examined for some underlying physical cause of these headaches.  Not to be an alarmist but there are many organic reasons for headaches and maybe pot is what triggers a headache for you.

I'm not sure where you are from or how easy it is for you to access medical care tho if you can get vicodin you must be seeing a doctor for it, (I hope).  Those drugs you are taking so you can still smoke pot are not the way to go.  Not only for the addictive factor but that they are very hard on your liver and other organs and could open another world of hurt on you that you don't need at your young age.  Any age for that matter.

Some people just can't use pot and tho it's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, it is a fact of life.

I hope things work out for you.

:peace:

Edited by LabRat
  • Upvote 1

Quit and go see a doctor.

Otherwise quit for a good while and vape sparingly.

Edited by Ohigho
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your advice guys I did start at a relatively young age 13-14. I am 19 now and still under my parents health insurance and they don't approve of my weed use (I'll get kicked out if they find out) so going to a doctor really isn't an option. The pain killers I can get are from my girlfriend so yea... I tried a month tolerance break as well with no avail.. maybe I just need a longer break?

Quit and go see a doctor.

Otherwise quit for a good while and vape sparingly.

Agreed.  Your body is telling you to stop, or your head may explode. As Oh said, see a doctor - perhaps the ganja isn't the actual cause of your migraines; it could be a secondary trigger masking something else.

what is your relationship with Caffeine? 

I use caffeine when I get a really bad migraine. It has worked pretty well with migraines but I try to limit my use because of rebound headaches. But when I have school or work and I can't see straight because of the pain I need something to control it, and things like monsters really do the trick.

Smokers are susceptible to sinus bacterial problems.

Try snorting warm water with a small amount of salt.

Katerham,

Any smoke contains numerous toxic chemicals, from arsnic, to sulpheric hydroxide when inhaled mixes with the moisture in your lungs and turns into sulpheric acid. Normal cannabis smoke has small quantities of these chemicals in the smoke. I prefer to take cannabis oil than to smoke but I do smoke occasionally. My recommendation would be to use edibles, or sub-lingual oil it will provide you with similar effects that aren't as intense but last a lot longer. The plus is you aren't inhaling any toxic chemicals. I would also recommend seeing a doctor to rule out any vascular damage which could lead to a stroke. And stay away from pharmaceuticals, they have nasty side effects. Remember a doctor takes a "Hippocratic Oath" from Hippocrates who said "Let your food be your medicine and let your medicine be your food" You are what you eat.....and that is my $.02 worth...

Thanks for your advice guys I did start at a relatively young age 13-14. I am 19 now and still under my parents health insurance and they don't approve of my weed use (I'll get kicked out if they find out) so going to a doctor really isn't an option. The pain killers I can get are from my girlfriend so yea... I tried a month tolerance break as well with no avail.. maybe I just need a longer break?

When I first saw the title,my immediate thought was,"DON'T DO THAT".

Then upon realizing you are taking pain pills not prescribed to you for pain caused by something illegal that you have no reason for using to begin with,I'm almost pissed that I allowed you to waist my time.

Why are you using-your girlfriends prescription? That is totally dumb . Most people suffering from headaches

Do not eat properly and may be dehyderated . I have never heard of weed causing headaches only curing them.

Blueberry, as much as cannabis has helped a lot of us here, it is technically a foreign substance to the body and under unique circumstances will trigger this or that.  And it's such a broad-spectrum drug, acts on so many different pathways in the body, which is how it can be so helpful to so many different sorts of illnesses, but also means if someone has weird pathways, there could be weird results.

People mentioned allergy...  possible, but the symptoms don't entirely support it.  I would expect more of a histamine response (rashes, itchiness, trouble breathing, etc), not merely migraines.

As someone who suffers from cluster headaches, which are thought to arise from a similar mechanism to migraines, I tend to support the trigger theory.  Something in his brain has gone haywire and when pushed in the wrong direction all hell breaks loose.  I know what he means about not being able to see straight, my headaches often involve vomiting and low pulse too.  My triggers are currently unknown, I suspect the blue pigment in blackberries is one of them after noticing a seasonal pattern, I'll find out this summer.

The trigger in cannabis could be anything...  but...  based solely on my own experience, the THC itself might be an issue...  during cluster headaches I can't smoke cannabis, too much nausea and the smoke aggravates that, so I vape, and so in theory am getting nothing but the terpenes and cannabinoids.  And sometimes, if a headache is just starting and could go either way (stop again or go full blown), vaping can cause it to go full blown.  But once started, cannabis does reduce the suffering somewhat...

So something in the vapour is possibly a trigger - I suspect the THC itself, or more properly, being buzzed.  Something about that facial and jaw tension that THC can cause is incompatible with headaches.

Cluster headache cycles come and go, and in-between them I am pretty much immune to THC-tension headaches.  But migraine sufferers seem to be susceptible year-round to whatever causes them, and if my THC-tension headache theory is correct in his case, he's probably out of luck.

Edited by spectralmagic

Headaches from weed is caused by poorly grown and poorly flushed weed . Be careful where you get your weed it may be contaminated by a grower-who does not know what to do.

I grow my own, and vape it, doesn't get much purer than that.

Blueberry, I know it's a miracle plant, and in your case a life-saver (heck probably for me too), but, it's not 100% compatible with every last body on earth.

I for one am somewhat prone to cannabis (I assume the cholinergic system sensitizing THC) making me a wee bit tense, particularly head/neck muscles, and very particularly in my jaw joints...  actually come to think of it, it's not just THC that does that to me... I think just being high does that to me...  some weird pathway at work anyway.  And if it's cluster headache season, that tenseness can set one off.

That's all, not blaming cannabis, just sayin' some people could unfortunately be incompatible to some degree.

Wow lot's of good stuff there. I too have cluster headaches and find the same as spectral magic, vis a vis, pot, can't say for true migraines. My brother in law and I have both experienced headaches from the coughing, haveing pulled a muscle in our necks just below the skull. No dope for a week healed it. Ultimately it came back and became permanent, so I cut out all bongs, my beloved pipes, and went back to joints. Less coughing, less shaking your brain against the skull.

Dude tell your doctor, there is A. patient doctor confidentiality, B. it could be a tomour, or something else serious. how about a C. allergies then treatable, if over the counter allergie meds don't work ask for a refferal to an ellergist. D. Headaches lot's of non painkiller advances in headaches like Imotrex, my Dad was in a study where botox was used to paralyse troublesome nerves, ask to be reffered to a neurologist.

Edited by cormacobear

I'm not a Yankee, so sorry about not having socialized medicine, nor am I a lawyer, but negative reprocussions caused by a Dr. disclosing information you revealed violates a number of the fundamental pillars of western medicne and Law. You could check with a local law society first. But in most first world nations cancelled insurance because a patient disclosed something would lead to a malpractice lawsuit.

Hi Katerham,

You wanted theories, so I will give you some.

I've been studying healthy lifestyle for 10+ years now, every kind of diet you can imagine and came to the conclusion that the "pH Miracle" (by Dr. Robert Young, it's a book, get 'Revised & Updated') is a way of living/eating/drinking that will cure basically any disease and get your body back in balance. Let's start with the worst - if headache signals health problems or allergies etc., even if brought about by marijuana, then you can correct that first with green, raw living foods as mostly recommended and that alone can allow you to continue smoking on occasion or even quite often. How is your fitness level? I feel that has a lot to do with it as well - try and aim to build your body and stamina up to where you were at your fittest (if you were fit), obviously taking a break from weed while you are addressing these issues, but I'd say still have some like once a week if you're really struggling. Once you are at your peak health/fitness level and eating live, fresh foods to restore electrolytes (that may have been lost with constant dehydration of your cells via smoking?) to your body, then you should probably again be capable of handling some of the toxic waste coming in from smoke, I suppose. If you smoke often enough and long enough without supporting it with a very healthy lifestyle, you might end up with constant headaches again. In time you should probably be able to tell the difference when vaping vs smoking, or when using edibles vs smoking/vaping, meaning edibles probably giving you the least headache, then vaping, then smoking being the harshest. All methods would produce a headache at this stage so you don't see the difference, as your body is clearly saying that you need a break.

Secondly, since you have about half a kilo of salt in your body and since all of the water inside your body's tissues is salty, when you smoke (or sweat) and get dehydrated a few times a day, this is probably quite significant stress to your body dealing with it. When you rehydrate, you normally just wash yourself with some Evian water at best, which is not ideal and not salty, as your body's waters are, lacking minerals and good salt. Yes, salt is crucial for life - your heart would malfunction without it, it is the catalyst for electrical activity, which brain/heart and all neuron activity in your body is. Even the way nutrients are given to cells is through electrical pulses. So may I suggest you do some research on good salt and buy some 'Himalayan Sea Salt' and start using it in your diet, and most importantly, replacing the shit crap 'table salt', which is processed/bleached white salt that is way worse for you. Try the omega 3-6-9 oils, but in the right ratio of 2-1-1, which can be found in Udo's products.

Thirdly, can a headache not be caused by some over-saturation or strong irritation of the brain sensors, which process your THC basically? If you let them rebuild and rest for a few months, exercising (getting that blood circulation into your brain through small capillaries that can easily get blocked with no physical activity or sugary/greasy diet), your body may be able to undo years worth of smoking, giving you another few years before headaches begin again. But I think if you just do and apply some of this good, healthy stuff, it may sort you out.

Lastly, you may want to investigate that Marijuana can lead to a deficiency in certain minerals in your body.. Not to say that weed itself is bad - it might be that body's constantly dealing with certain toxic compounds from burning plant matter and certain tars, which may require certain alkaline mineral buffers to be safely eliminated from your body. So if you smoke for YEARS, those minerals etc., that are mostly used when balancing your body to and from your highs, may be depleted. They can have symptoms such as 'headache' - everything should follow simple logic in this last theory. Google says these are the minerals you may be depleted in:

Alcohol/recreational drugs:

Calcium deficiency Sesame seeds/ tahini, broccoli, kale, legumes, mustard and turnip greens

Glutamine deficiency Cabbage, beetroot, beans, spinach, parsley, vegetable juice  

Protein deficiency Green leafy vegetable, nuts, seeds, legumes, grains, beans

Potassium deficiency Citrus fruits, bitter green leafy veg, banana, tomato, pineapple, black olives, seaweed

Good luck.

Edited by cagis

i no this is an old thread but i didnt read were anyone mentions blood pressure ..i no when i smoke my blood pressure rises and i sometimes get a cluster type headache..sometimes they can be pretty bad ..my wife gets migrains and she has to have complete darkness and quite to just deal with them ..shesometimes will thowup from them ..she has a slew of meds she takes to keep from getting them ..any how is katerham a little over weight and blood pressure is going up when smoking ..just my two cents worth .

Eh. it's simple. Your sinuses are getting blocked. It's a sinus headache, not some weird minerals or b/c you smoke too much. Some stuff just does it to me. Take a decongestant/antihistamine and your headache will go away. never hurts to take ibuprofen as it it is good for reducing inflamation t/o the entire body. I take hydroxyzine and sudafed

Big Pharma drugs are bad.  Mmmkay.

:peace:

• Like 1

Hi, there! I am not a doctor, but I have been disabled by severe chronic migraines that last literally months at a time. You did not provide information about your pain that clarify whether or not it is a migraine OR a sinus headache (and the latter can be just as bad as a migraine). Is your pain localized behind (NOT between) one or both eyes or at the base of your skull on one side? Are you getting spots in your vision? Does your pain increase dramatically when your heart rate and/or stress increases? These are not the only signs you may experience, but they are some very defining characteristics of migraines and if you have these, then you probably have a migraine. If you are getting headaches in reaction to weed, yes, they probably ARE migraines. Please do me the same courtesy I did you, and read all of this post.

Some migraines (the ones most people I meet seem to suffer from) are caused by the blood vessels in your brain contracting so that adequate amounts of oxygen are unable to be properly absorbed. Literally ANYTHING can cause this to happen--even things that have gotten rid of your migraines up till now can suddenly have the reverse effect. There are barometric migraines caused by sudden changes in the weather. There are hormonal migraines (us ladies are particularly sensitive to these, thanks to the menstrual system and the hormonal fluctuations it causes). Different kinds of light can cause migraines for different reasons. Foods can cause migraines. Stress can definitely cause migraines... and recently studies are showing that people who smoke around a quarter a day can get migraines because large amounts of THC actually cause the brain to develop difficulties with absorbing oxygen.

Again, I am not a doctor. I am a layperson who has been forced to become an expert on MY migraines, not migraines in general. I can tell you that, if you are consistently getting migraines/headaches after smoking marijuana, you would be a fool to discount it as a cause for  your pain. And, you are not alone:

Three days ago I started noticing that high THC strains and products are causing me to get migraines. I have gotten one every day AFTER smoking/dabbing. I can't take anything else for my pain, anxiety, PTSD, or depression. I have tried lowering the amount of THC (which means I feel nothing of what I used last), and still, every time--within minutes (& I am almost a professional headache sufferer: these are NOT sinus headaches; I KNOW the difference) I have gotten a severe cluster migraine behind my left eye.

I know desperation and do not fault you for using them, but be careful: opiod and opiates are WELL KNOWN causes of migraines and rebound headaches. Furthermore, I lost my children for taking opioids prescribed by my doctors and taken as prescribed. Anyone who faults you for wanting to cure your pain doesn't know what real pain IS (&, no, giving birth without pain meds does NOT compare: I've done that and it wasn't even in the same ballpark)--but, please, especially if you have children and live in Kentucky: BE CAREFUL! I don't want anyone to suffer the way I have for trying to exercise my right to life 💖 good luck!

• Upvote 2