Sign in to follow this  
tomalock

Question if I may

Making a long story short....Can I use a air-cooled hood without a blower? I'm short 1 hood for the 4x8 area (I want 4-400watt CMH lamps running but only have 3 working now getting the clones adjusted to the lamps),

yes- sure can. Why- what purpose would it serve?

All your doing would be trapping heat inside the grow room, the heat inside the hood will build up critically, and being trapped inside a glass box it will not leave, not even if the rest of your tent or space is aircooled.

This will bring humidity problems that when lights go out could see moisture build up around the bulb causing it to malfunction. It will bring heat stress to the plant and a ton of other complications.

Short answer- use it as its supposed to be used. You can drive a car for a few mins with no radiatior or cooling system, but that wont last long, especially since nothing works well in heat.

Best of luck.

A hot item cooling down to room temp won't get condensate on it Simo but I would run that one without the glass as it blocks the UV somewhat. I got one recently from a buddy that I'll be running like that if and when I use it.

I can't see any reason not to use it myself. One uncooled 400 in that space shouldn't heat up the room all that much. I have to use 3 in my much smaller room to have temp problems.

peace

Thanks fellas, reason I asked was I am short 1 hood (my preferences) for that 4x8 area I sat aside in a extra bedroom. The grow area itself is open to the rest of the room and it has it's own a/c unit in it if temps get too high, but with fall approaching that's not a big problem. Also I'm a little short of funding since I my outside crop was hit during the Labor Day week-end, so I made clones off a female (see tagline) that had started to go into budding.

I've a little trick I do to clones that has already started to bud, let them make roots (under same light cycle), put into containers, then after a few days when I notice they have adjusted to the new containers I switch back to 18/6 to re-veg then after 2 weeks I switch back to 12/12 and trim off all but 4-5 new shoots tieing them over in the containers to finish out thus increasing production an average of 375% or better per container and it's nothing but pure kolas per say.

I just checked the hood and glass is sealed at each end and only way to remove tempered glass is to break it. So I guess I'll have to break down and buy a open wing hood.

Thanks for the advice.

It seems odd that there is no way to remove the glass. How the heck do you get bulbs in and out?

Sounds like time for a dremel tool or angle grinder to make a few adjustments. laugh

peace

Yeah, you have to be able to replace the bulbs, wtf.

I just want to add that some of those ducted hoods trap a lot of heat when not vented, I've seen the outer glass of a few bulbs actually bubble and sag from getting so hot. The bulbs didn't fail, but that concerned me enough to drop the wattage and remove the glass, which is good for flowering anyway, less UV blocked= better product. Then I just said to hell with the heavy, cumbersome unit and went with adjust a wing replicas, which are open, lightweight, very adjustable reflectors.

yeah, glass is not the material some people think.. glass is malleable, meaning it has the abililty to shift shape. In hundred or more year old cathedrals if you look at the stained glass windows, the glass at the top is thin and at the bottom of the frame has come to a widened blob eventually breaking in strong winds.

After all glass is blown, shaped and moulded in heat, so excess heat has the ability to destroy your bulb..