Journeyman

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHawai'i

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hey hey
Ho ho
Scar tissue has got to go!

Do any of the magic chemicals in this wonderful plant have any effect on scar tissue?

I don't necessarily mean visible scar tissue. I got most of mine from radiation.

Thanks for the feedback.

#2 spectralmagic

spectralmagic

Old hand

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Once the scar tissue has formed, there isn't really anything you can do to get rid of it. A scar is formed when tissue has undergone significant trauma and the body wants to heal over it as soon as possible, so it produces large amounts of collagen in a random fashion to close up the damage. It's the same collagen that the tissue was made up of before, but arranged differently, in a hurry without much coordination.

When the injury is still fresh, cannabinoids can help greatly by reducing the inflammation, telling the body it doesn't have to hurry up so much and can take more time to close up the injury, doing so in a more orderly fashion. But after the fact I don't think there is anything that can undo the fast repair job, if the scar tissue is causing pain or discomfort, the cannabinoids can help with that, but probably not much more.

Defending the People's Right to Know since 2000
:smokebowl:

Watching the universe end, one bowl at a time

#3 stillastudent

stillastudent

Journeyman

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHawai'i

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that one of the jobs of some white blood cells was the actual consuming of scar tissue. I know that all sorts of cannabinoids are immunomodulators. Wondered if there was any interaction there.

#4 spectralmagic

spectralmagic

Old hand

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Macrophages (a type of white blood cell) will remove damaged tissue, but not scar tissue once it has formed.

There are a lot of websites that claim proper natural treatments will remove scar tissue, but looking into what they recommend, it's probably all snake oil, perhaps some softening of the scar tissue will result but big lesions won't go away, I have several in and on me (thanks to lupus and a couple of falls). Daily cannabis use for several years has not diminished them.

Some cannabinoids are immune system modulators, but that doesn't necessarily mean "amplify" or "attenuate", it's more like they encourage the immune system to find the middle ground. Cannabis mostly keeps my lupus (an autoimmune disorder) in check, in my case it's calming it down. I'd be surprised if cannabis encouraged any white blood cell types to start eating tissue that wasn't infected or recently injured because I use it to prevent exactly that, and it works.

Basically I don't think cannabis will cure you of scar tissue, but if the scar tissue itself is causing problems, I think cannabis will help a lot there.

#5 Immanuel

Immanuel

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Locationother heights and regions

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

There is some evidence that it can do exactly that. In my case, I have chronic pancreatitis. It's a life threatening disease without cure. The problem eventually results in scar tissue forming on the pancreas and this causes the organ to stop functioning. I recently read an article that was published by some researchers in Germany, that cannabis can not only reduce the inflammation of chronic pancreatitus, but also REVERSE the damage caused by scar tissue.

Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate Cells

#6 spectralmagic

spectralmagic

Old hand

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Maybe it depends on the degree / thickness of the scar tissue? eg: surface damage vs tissue-ripping trauma?

#7 Doobie_Brother

Doobie_Brother

Ganja God

• GlobalModerators
  • 6,371 posts
  • LocationThe G.W.N.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Interesting idea...but I doubt cannabis can do much about scar tissue, particularly older wounds. A while back I underwent shoulder surgery; used scar 'bandages' which did help reduce the colour and width. A foaf swears Emu cream works in a similar fashion.

If anyone has had a positive experience using canna-cream to treat a fresh scar, please let us know.

Cheers

Being absolute zero is 0K with me

II was going to tell a joke about sodium, but Na.

Modern societies are not democracys. They are glorified monarchies with a thousand kings.

- GBuds

#8 spectralmagic

spectralmagic

Old hand

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hey DB, good to see you back! smile

In the OP's case, they were talking about deep tissue scars, like burns from radiation treatment.

Not sure how you'd go about creating very high local levels of cannabinoids like a cream can, without having to ingest ounces of oil or injecting some sort of preparation.

#9 Doobie_Brother

Doobie_Brother

Ganja God

• GlobalModerators
  • 6,371 posts
  • LocationThe G.W.N.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Spec, it's good to be home.

Would it not be feasible to simply mix some RSO with a touch of DMSO and cold cream ?

Being absolute zero is 0K with me

II was going to tell a joke about sodium, but Na.

Modern societies are not democracys. They are glorified monarchies with a thousand kings.

- GBuds

#10 stillastudent

stillastudent

Journeyman

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHawai'i

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

There is some evidence that it can do exactly that. In my case, I have chronic pancreatitis. It's a life threatening disease without cure. The problem eventually results in scar tissue forming on the pancreas and this causes the organ to stop functioning. I recently read an article that was published by some researchers in Germany, that cannabis can not only reduce the inflammation of chronic pancreatitus, but also REVERSE the damage caused by scar tissue.

Cannabinoids Reduce Markers of Inflammation and Fibrosis in Pancreatic Stellate Cells

Very interesting study. Thanks mucho. And thanks mucho to everyone else who contributed to this thread.

We will find a way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users