Sir.Ganga

LED'S best bulb ratio?

Well I have decided to try led's for my veg room and will eventually want to try a couple for flower.

Being an old hat at growing under the HID family I figured I would try something new.(still in the stone age heresmile)

My question is on the ratio of bulb color for veg and flower. The one I was just gifted has a ratio of 32:3:3:1:1, red:blue:orange:IR:UV. I was told that this unit can be used for both rooms with great results. After plugging it in it looks to me like it should be a flowering unit(really red). There is no brand name on the shell but the unit is very solid with three fans, 3watt chipset and uses 120watts.

So people lets talk ratio's What do you think is best for flower and for veg.

WOW... SG, that certainly sounds like a flowering combination to me with all that red. I would think there would be a lot more blue for vegetation, but actual ratios, I'll have to do a little looking. I would think the UV would only come into play during flowering also. Do you happen to have the wavelengths or frequencies of the different colored LEDs?

My thinking exactly, but my knowledge base on Led's are limited.

With a little research I was able to take the back panel off, the brand is grotex. Custom made here in Regina.

Red = 660nm

Orange = 610nm

Blue = 460nm

UV = 425nm

IR = 730nm

If I am understanding my findings correctly with the majority in the 600nm range This light should be considered as a flowering unit?

Am I missing anything that would make this unit decent for either room, like I was told? I have grown full term with only hps before but thats not how it was portraid to me.

These units are hand made here and I was asked to try one out side by side comparing it to a 400 hid.

I can also have them custom made, hence the question on bulb ratio's.

Personally I think the majority should be blue 460nm maybe with a few white,red,and orange. Before I order a couple more I would like other peeps opinions on the ratio.

Thanks for the comment HD

I was just posting a LED answer at small led grow and thought you two might share information/results.

Though Advanced Led Lights uses eleven wavelengths in their flowering model, 760nm, 740nm, 720nm, 660nm, 630nm, 615nm-480nm, 460nm, 440nm, 415nm, 380nm and four wavelengths in their vegetation model, 480nm, 460nm, 440nm, 415nm, I cannot find a bulb count to give you actual ratios.

I hope this is of some use to you and will let you know if I can find the ratios that you are asking about... 52.

I see no reason that it would not work fine for either room. I am a little skeptical as to how it will fair against the 400 hid. Buds directly under the light should turn out fine, but I would guess that the coverage zone for the 400 will be larger. Even with a 3 watt chipset I have my doubts that you will get any penetration beyond the canopy. I have used the 1 watt diodes before in a few different ways, but have no experience with the 3 watt diodes.

I thought that leds would make for awesome veg lights. They take up very little space, put off nearly zero heat, and work very well for growing bushy plants. The only downside I see is the expense. My experience was that the coverage zone was basically half of what was advertised.

Any chance of seeing that new light GB ?

Btw, I for one do not think you are...or were, in the StoneAge !!

I've always been of the frame of mind that maintaining the optimal wavelength to the max is the goal. Why dilute your lumens with less-than-perfect colours ? I really need to do some reading on this: if guys like you are mixing spectra there must be a good reason for doing so.

your questions have been answered! i updated the kelvin thread with very useful yet long info. gb i use the 3 w diodes and tell yeh what they do cause bleaching if ran between 4-6 inches i now keep them at 8" away from canopy.

May be a stupid question, but... I've never been afraid to display my ignorance before...lol

Can the LEDs be used in combination with MH and HPS? my immediate thought is that this might pose a problem, as say, a 1000w HPS would hang at one height over the canopy while the LED would be hung lower...

But still... can they be used in combination?

I was just posting a LED answer at small led grow and thought you two might share information/results.

Though Advanced LED Lights uses eleven wavelengths in their flowering model, 760nm, 740nm, 720nm, 660nm, 630nm, 615nm-480nm, 460nm, 440nm, 415nm, 380nm and four wavelengths in their vegetation model, 480nm, 460nm, 440nm, 415nm, I cannot find a bulb count to give you actual ratios.

I hope this is of some use to you and will let you know if I can find the ratios that you are asking about... 52.